Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 12:56 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I am thinking Walnut and Noland.
I am thinking you are correct. 211 S Noland was L&L Go Gas. It sat on the NE corner of the intersection, with the back of the building against a rail spur of the Pixley Branch. The building faced south. It was demolished to make way for the widening and re-alignment of Noland Road.

Burnham's was at 222 S Noland. It sat on a triangle of land on the NW corner, with the Pixley Spur forming its back boundary. It too was demolished for the road widening project, as Walnut was also widened at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 02:07 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,769,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
I am thinking you are correct. 211 S Noland was L&L Go Gas. It sat on the NE corner of the intersection, with the back of the building against a rail spur of the Pixley Branch. The building faced south. It was demolished to make way for the widening and re-alignment of Noland Road.

Burnham's was at 222 S Noland. It sat on a triangle of land on the NW corner, with the Pixley Spur forming its back boundary. It too was demolished for the road widening project, as Walnut was also widened at the same time.
I can recall a Go Gas sign but would not have been able to identify it as L&L. I probably filled up at both at one time or another.

On the southeast corner of Walnut and Noland was something rather insignificant, I cannot recall what.

I am thinking that it was a few years before 1960 when a large concrete building was constructed that did some type of drive in truck service and repair. I think the buff brick smaller building to the east went in at the same time and served as an office. The concrete building did not seem to be on a large enough parcel of land for a building that large. It was really close to Noland. I suspect someone probably had to get a variance of some type.

I never was in there. Something called Ground Service Systems is in there now.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I can recall a Go Gas sign but would not have been able to identify it as L&L. I probably filled up at both at one time or another.

On the southeast corner of Walnut and Noland was something rather insignificant, I cannot recall what.

I am thinking that it was a few years before 1960 when a large concrete building was constructed that did some type of drive in truck service and repair. I think the buff brick smaller building to the east went in at the same time and served as an office. The concrete building did not seem to be on a large enough parcel of land for a building that large. It was really close to Noland. I suspect someone probably had to get a variance of some type.

I never was in there. Something called Ground Service Systems is in there now.
In 1960 that building was occupied by Safety Auto Repair Service (201 E Walnut). I recall a later occupant, also automotive related, had a bear as the logo on their sign. Even later I think it was an alignment shop.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:36 AM

"It was decided that the city of Independence has no right to sell a tree that may be standing in a public street, even if the city is badly in need of cash, and the tree is very much desired by buyers of logs. The matter started a week ago when Councilman William Peters told the council that an Independence buyer of logs had offered to buy the tree if the city would sell it."

The above comes from the files of the Examiner of 100 years ago in 1913.

Up until sometime in the late 50s or early 60s, a huge tree stood in the middle of the 1100 block of south Savage in east Independence. Savage was about three fourths of a mile east of Noland and 23rd and was a busy thru street north to Truman Road (via Hunter and Rogers). The tree was only one block north of 23rd. Cars going north curved around one side of the tree and cars going south curved around the other side. The curve on both sides was extremely narrow and could only be negotiated at slow speed. This was still in the time of chip and seal roads. At some point, the tree just seemed to disappear. No doubt taken out by the city.

The above is a previous post of mine. For some reason I was thinking about the tree on Savage this morning. Now, I am wondering if the city did not have ownership of trees on street right of ways, who did?

Savage was in the county at the time we moved on this side of town. The county apparently never saw fit to remove the tree. Shortly after we moved, in 1948, Savage became part of Independence and the city limits extended a few blocks further east to about Woodbury.

Those were different times and it seemed like forever, before anything was done about that tree.

Approximate location of the big tree. Savage Street looking north with Stone as the next cross street. 23rd Street is behind.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:26 AM

I have used my time-transport to travel to 1954. As I depart from the vehicle I see the Freeman Insurance Agency, Independence Drug Company, DeLuxe Cleaners, and a sandwich shop.

Where am I?

Old 04-24-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I have used my time-transport to travel to 1954. As I depart from the vehicle I see the Freeman Insurance Agency, Independence Drug Company, DeLuxe Cleaners, and a sandwich shop.

Where am I?
Was it on Lexington at about Union?

Old 04-24-2015, 10:07 AM

I received a treat last night. Got to watch the Royals on cable. Plus got to see the brawl, but I am not proud of them for that and combined with the similar previous events hope they are not making a negative name for themselves.

I am a dedicated Rockies fan since '93 when they first started playing.

I was once a Royals dedicated fan and still have much sentiment for them. Saw a number of games at the new stadium with Cookie Rojas, Bob Oliver, Lou Pinella, Amos Otis, Freddie Patek, Paul Schaal, etc. Hard to believe that stadium is forty years old plus.

I was so disappointed when George Brett replaced Paul Schaal. I thought Schaal could not be beat......

I would take the Kansas City Chiefs over the Denver Broncos any day.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Was it on Lexington at about Union?

How about looking up the taxi cab company (Call 6623) and address on west Kansas right after city hall in '54 I was thinking it was right on the curb in front of the log courthouse very close to the old police department entrance. I might have been one lot off.

The taxi business went out and the little place became Tandy Leather but I think it was later than '54.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 04-24-2015 at 10:24 AM..

Old 04-24-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
In 1960 that building was occupied by Safety Auto Repair Service (201 E Walnut). I recall a later occupant, also automotive related, had a bear as the logo on their sign. Even later I think it was an alignment shop.

It was a franchise operation.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
How about looking up the taxi cab company (Call 6623) and address on west Kansas right after city hall in '54 I was thinking it was right on the curb in front of the log courthouse very close to the old police department entrance. I might have been one lot off.

The taxi business went out and the little place became Tandy Leather but I think it was later than '54.
No taxi service there in '54. From Main we have:
107- The old courthouse occupied by the Community Services League
108-10 the Sharp Apartments and Sharp Plumbing
115- Ramsey Coal and Furnace Repair
119- Vacant
123- Missouri Water Company

The same entries are there in 1956.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City