Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2015, 07:30 PM

684 posts, read 514,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
That depends on how you define "attend". During the several days of funeral activity I was a courier for the Associated Press. My assignment was to accompany one of their photographers to his assigned location. After the photog shot a number of rolls of film he handed them to me. I jumped on my bicycle and pedaled quickly to the old Independence San, where they had a temporary darkroom. I also took a few shots with my own camera. I did pass through the library lobby at about 4 am, where HST was lying in state. The actual funeral service was held in the library's auditorium, and was strictly by invitation only.

Well you were there at that important Mo event so thats all that matters and I figured you'd enjoy the images. That's all the information I have for / on Independence as I have never been there.

Thanks for having me in the thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 07:39 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Lurker View Post
Well you were there at that important Mo event so thats all that matters and I figured you'd enjoy the images. That's all the information I have for / on Independence as I have never been there.

Thanks for having me in the thread!
Thanks for the images, those are all new to me. Keep lurking about, we may surprise you with other topics you didn't know that you knew!

Old 05-29-2015, 05:27 PM

What well-known Independence resident resided in this house?

For bonus points, where is it located?

Old 05-30-2015, 08:38 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times
Quote:
@ Mad Anthonie

Did you attend President Truman's Funeral?

I believe I've mentioned this elsewhere, but for purposes of the new lurkers/contributors:

HST died over the school holidays (day after Christmas?). My GF lived on Maple, one of those houses where you had to take two to three steps to the walkway, then another 2-3 up to his big covered porch. Consequently, you would be a few feet above the road grade whilst sitting on the porch watching the world go by

That day, a symbolically cold, overcast one, I drove to his house early and sat outside freezing my tail off waiting for the procession to pass. Odd feeling, a President of the US, a local one no less, has died and I'm there watching up close this historic event. I can't recall how long the procession was, but it seemed like a long time. Trying to catch anyone of celebrity in the split second I had as the cars passed. Many of them had tinted window security if I remember correctly. I don't remember any police sweeps or anything of the sort, like a modern day funeral would have. No security other than motorcycle cops blocking off River, Union, etc. How times have changed

Afterwards, I drove in the vicinity of The Library, but by then the crowds were there and the area cordoned off. From a distance (probably one of those standing on the hill in the last photo) I think I saw LBJ, who ironically, would die a few months later.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:43 AM

Yea I got those images from this KCMO article

http://www.professionalcar.org/acme-livery-service-1265

Old 05-30-2015, 05:52 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times
Quote:
Yea I got those images from this KCMO article

http://www.professionalcar.org/acme-livery-service-1265

Whoa! Whoa and Whoa

That fellow in that 1939 Lee's Summit deal is paying 20 percent per month interest. That sounds more like vigorish to me.

Old 05-30-2015, 06:30 PM

320 posts, read 310,110 times
Quote:

Old 05-30-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Whoa! Whoa and Whoa

That fellow in that 1939 Lee's Summit deal is paying 20 percent per month interest. That sounds more like vigorish to me.

LOL I never really read the terms of that note until you pointed it out but yea I would agree 100% on the vig

Interesting thing is that you will also notice throughout the article they handled the funerals for several of the head mafia guys and did / do business with two very prominent Italian funeral homes. I would think you don't just get that business unless you have certain connections. Therefore I was left with the impression that they were somewhat "connected" to that side of KC history just from reading the story.

Either way I enjoyed the read and the history on it all because I really enjoy anything old thats related to KC, especially rare old images.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:42 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times
Quote:

Old 05-31-2015, 07:37 AM

Sorry about the delay in responding, I was in Communicado all day Saturday (that's a small town free of internet access).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
Any clues available? Maybe, like what led to this persons claim to fame; vocation, family ties, anything. If someone else knows the answer(s) they can forgo the clues and answer.
Rather coincidental to Saturday's other discussion, the person had a close connection historically to HST, including being present when he was sworn into office upon FDR's death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Is that where Truman lived when he first came to Independence as a youngster? If so, it is located in Independence.
Truman never lived in this house, but he did live within a short, pleasant stroll from this house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City