Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2013, 04:59 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,765,746 times

Advertisements

Sharon Kinne revisited.

Sharon Kinne, two years ahead of me in school, may be the most notorious criminal suspect that Independence ever produced. She was accused of murdering her husband in 1960. The murder took place at the couple's home in an area south of 23rd Street and east of M-291.

She was later accused of killing the wife of a car salesman (Moody Motors, 607 w Lexington) whom she wanted to marry. There were four different trials in Jackson County, all of which went her away through acquittal, appeal or mistrial.

Kinne went to Mexico with a new lover while awaiting a fifth trial.

She killed yet another man in Mexico and tried to kill the hotel manager but only wounded him. She was sentenced to ten years in a Mexican prison. She claimed self-defense because the man had tried to sexually assault her.

From a story about the case:
A U.S. embassy representative who visited her in prison said she appeared extremely cool. He told reporters that she shrugged repeatedly and told him: "I've shot men before and managed to get out of it."
Authorities said the gun in the Mexican shooting was matched to the bullets that killed the automobile salesman's wife. But the discovery did not matter because Kinne had already been acquitted.

She never finished her sentence in Mexico. Neither did she ever return to Jackson County for that fifth trial. In 1969, Kinne escaped from the Mexican prison outside Mexico City. At one point, she was reportedly seen in Guatemala.

If she should still be alive she would be in her 70s.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 06:58 PM

2,372 posts, read 2,760,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Sharon Kinne revisited.

Sharon Kinne, two years ahead of me in school, may be the most notorious criminal suspect that Independence ever produced. She was accused of murdering her husband in 1960. The murder took place at the couple's home in an area south of 23rd Street and east of M-291.

She was later accused of killing the wife of a car salesman (Moody Motors, 607 w Lexington) whom she wanted to marry. There were four different trials in Jackson County, all of which went her away through acquittal, appeal or mistrial.

Kinne went to Mexico with a new lover while awaiting a fifth trial.

She killed yet another man in Mexico and tried to kill the hotel manager but only wounded him. She was sentenced to ten years in a Mexican prison. She claimed self-defense because the man had tried to sexually assault her.

From a story about the case:
A U.S. embassy representative who visited her in prison said she appeared extremely cool. He told reporters that she shrugged repeatedly and told him: "I've shot men before and managed to get out of it."
Authorities said the gun in the Mexican shooting was matched to the bullets that killed the automobile salesman's wife. But the discovery did not matter because Kinne had already been acquitted.

She never finished her sentence in Mexico. Neither did she ever return to Jackson County for that fifth trial. In 1969, Kinne escaped from the Mexican prison outside Mexico City. At one point, she was reportedly seen in Guatemala.

If she should still be alive she would be in her 70s.

Several Kinne's listed in Polk's 1960 but not her. From the address you gave it must have been outside the city limits.

Hard to believe she pulled all that off. I am curious if she's still alive, and where . .and what she looks like at this age.

Can't remember offhand the name of her attorney, but I think he was one of those flamboyant-type downtown KC criminal lawyers (yes, an oxymoron)

Old 12-16-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Several Kinne's listed in Polk's 1960 but not her. From the address you gave it must have been outside the city limits.

Hard to believe she pulled all that off. I am curious if she's still alive, and where . .and what she looks like at this age.

Can't remember offhand the name of her attorney, but I think he was one of those flamboyant-type downtown KC criminal lawyers (yes, an oxymoron)

Wikipedia has quite a lengthy entry on Sharon Kinne.

The lawyer(s) were Alex Peebles. Also James Patrick Quinn, Quinn & Peebles I believe was the firm. It also lists Martha Sperry Hickman as one of her attorneys.

The Kinne home was at 17009 E 26th Terrace, which is just SE of 291 and RD Mize.

EDIT: There actually are alot of entries on Google, including an Unsolved Mysteries episode. Lots of articles marked the 50th anniversaries in 2010.

Polk's list the Kinnes living at 1505 S. Logan in 1957 and 1959. The part I remember about the case was the references to a "lover's lane" which Wikipedia says was near where Patricia Jones' body was found. I believe we discussed this before, but where was this "lover's lane"? Did WCHS ever take his honey parking there? :-)

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 12-16-2013 at 08:12 PM..

Old 12-16-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:

She was married to James Kinne when she put the gun up to his head while he slept.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Wikipedia has quite a lengthy entry on Sharon Kinne.

The lawyer(s) were Alex Peebles. Also James Patrick Quinn, Quinn & Peebles I believe was the firm. It also lists Martha Sperry Hickman as one of her attorneys.

The Kinne home was at 17009 E 26th Terrace, which is just SE of 291 and RD Mize.

EDIT: There actually are alot of entries on Google, including an Unsolved Mysteries episode. Lots of articles marked the 50th anniversaries in 2010.

Polk's list the Kinnes living at 1505 S. Logan in 1957 and 1959. The part I remember about the case was the references to a "lover's lane" which Wikipedia says was near where Patricia Jones' body was found. I believe we discussed this before, but where was this "lover's lane"? Did WCHS ever take his honey parking there? :-)
It was on Phelps Road just south of 39th Street. The only lovers lane I was ever really familiar with was on Crackerneck Road, chuckle. Never went there either, though.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
She was married to James Kinne when she put the gun up to his head while he slept.
Yeah I couldnt find him for 1960 but did for the years prior.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:54 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,474,612 times
It is time for another mystery location. An extra ornament for your Christmas tree if you are the first to identify this location...

Old 12-17-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
It is time for another mystery location. An extra ornament for your Christmas tree if you are the first to identify this location...

That is most definitely the 51st street curvature at Noland RD

Old 12-17-2013, 11:25 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,474,612 times
Quote:
That is most definitely the 51st street curvature at Noland RD
Sorry, you are literally off by miles. Please try again.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post

I will take a stab at M-291, north of Truman Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City