Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 12:01 PM

99 posts, read 416,927 times

Advertisements

Need advice...

I originally grew up in Raytown, MO and have lived the last 20 in CA. I just returned from a trip to MO, and I think I want to return. I am a credentialed high school English teacher, and I'm concerned about how all of that would transfer, but I think it would. Are there teaching jobs available? Wow, the idea of buying a home for under $100K is terrific. I know the weather can be a bit brutal, but at least there's variety.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 5,218 times
Default umm

Think long and hard about moving back here.. The weather sucks big time. People are not as open-minded but yes houses are a ton cheaper. The pace is that of a turtle so you can make up your mind if you prefer that?

Old 10-05-2007, 02:33 PM

Thanks Kelly,

I was beginning to think nobody had any words of encouragement or discouragement, with regard to my post. The fact is, I spent the first 17 years of my life growing up in the Independence/Raytown area and moved to Califonia based on my dad's wish to do so, where I now find myself: 37, divorced, renting a small 2-bedroom for $1050, and trying to teach English to the hordes of English learners from Mexico. By no means am I a rascist, but, my god, the majority of these students don't even care that much about learning English. They just want to create behavior/ classroom management problems for their teachers.

I was just back in MO for a funeral, and I have to say I appreciated the mellow pace. California is nuts with materialism, status, and choice. Maybe I would enjoy settling into a small community and teaching there. And I'm looking to the future, for I will never be able to buy a home out here...the weather is constantly nice here, but I find it a bit boring. I miss the seasons and the cold...maybe I'd change my mind after a while, but my friends say the winters just keep getting milder and milder.

Your thoughts?

Jason

Old 10-05-2007, 02:55 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjason View Post
Thanks Kelly,

I was beginning to think nobody had any words of encouragement or discouragement, with regard to my post. The fact is, I spent the first 17 years of my life growing up in the Independence/Raytown area and moved to Califonia based on my dad's wish to do so, where I now find myself: 37, divorced, renting a small 2-bedroom for $1050, and trying to teach English to the hordes of English learners from Mexico. By no means am I a rascist, but, my god, the majority of these students don't even care that much about learning English. They just want to create behavior/ classroom management problems for their teachers.

I was just back in MO for a funeral, and I have to say I appreciated the mellow pace. California is nuts with materialism, status, and choice. Maybe I would enjoy settling into a small community and teaching there. And I'm looking to the future, for I will never be able to buy a home out here...the weather is constantly nice here, but I find it a bit boring. I miss the seasons and the cold...maybe I'd change my mind after a while, but my friends say the winters just keep getting milder and milder.

Your thoughts?

Jason

The Kansas City metro area has changed a lot in the past 20 years. The population of the metro area is much larger, there are more job opportunities, and much more suburban sprawl. The Independence/Raytown areas have probably gone downhill some in the past 20 years, but are still decent in some areas. Lee's Summit, Grain Valley, Liberty, and Kearney have gained a lot of population in the last 15-20 years. However, the economy is not that strong, especially in Jackson County. Jackson County lost over 6% of there non-farm employment between 2000-2005. Johnson County Kansas on the SW side of the metro area has the strongest ecomomy with the highest median household income in the area. However, the pace of life there is quite fast for the general region, and 8 lane highways are now common in some areas.
The weather and climate is not good at all in my opinion. Summer lasts a very long time these days, and it is around 90F for a current temperature. Winter is very mild compared with 20-30 years ago, and not much snow falls compared with the past.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:11 PM

Thanks Plains10 for the reply...I'm seriously mulling it all over. I have an application ready to send off to the Missouri Dept. of Education to see if my skills and education will transfer. Liberty is looking pretty good to me, based on the research I've done.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:14 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
I'm in Liberty right now and everyone who lives here seems to love it. The schools are good, cost of living is reasonable...there is new construction everywhere and it's often the same price as older homes. I love the area by the Square and William Jewell College. However my husband and I are moving to the Lee's Summit area soon, because it's a bit closer to where we work. Best of luck. And btw I think the weather is fine; it's supposed to be hot in the summer.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:16 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
I would definitely recommend liberty, but I would think twice before buying a newer home. A lot of the newer homes are very cookie cutter with cheap build quality and materials. Generally, the slightly older homes are a little better quiality and less cookie cutter. Liberty is about a 30 minute drive to Downtown and a 30 minute drive to KCI airport.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:27 PM

37 posts, read 210,805 times
Default KC area is a great place to live!

Mr. Jason,
I would encourage you to come home. The Kansas City area is, in my opinion, a great place to live. Quality of life is a term often bandied about, but what does it really mean? To me, it means living in a place where people say "please" and "thank you." A place where people hold doors open for others, stop on the highway to assist with a flat tire(without asking for or accepting money), where education and community service are more important than materialism, a place where you know your neighbors, a feeling of safety, security ,and place.
There are many great areas to work and live on both sides of the state line and both north and south of the river. We live in the Liberty community. The schools are fantastic. In our most recent bond election, we passed the bond issue to fund the district's growth with an 83% majority. 83%! As a community, we realize the quality of life for all of our residents starts with the education of our children.
With the interstate system, commutes average 30 minutes or less to 90% of the metro area.
There are many housing choices, from new construction to 100 year old homes, in all price ranges. $100,000 can buy a 3 bedroom, two car garage home in most any area.
I enjoy the changing of the seasons. At this time of year, you would be hard pressed to find a more beautiful city. Mild temperatures and the colors of Autumn make fall in the midwest special.When was the last time you went on a hayride, had a cup of cider, or sang songs around a campfire? Winters allow you to ice skate, sled,cross country ski, make snowmen and feel that crisp, fresh air as you go carolling with your friends from church or school. Spring brings the blooming of the dogwood trees and wildflowers. Summers are the best: trips to one the many lakes, state parks, festivals and historic areas.
Kansas City offer a wide variety of attractions: world class art galleries and museums, shopping and carrage rides on the Country Club Plaza, major league sports, a revitalized downtown and new state of the art arena, a thriving arts district, historical sites.
Yes, I'm a "homer." I am a lifelong area resident. I have traveled to virtually every major city and most areas of the country, and have had the opportunity to relocate, but I choose to live here. Hope to see you soon!

Old 10-12-2007, 08:18 AM

111 posts, read 392,786 times
I have traveled all over this nation and in other country's and choose to stay in MO. Beautiful state and loving people. Suggestion stay out of the inncer city areas and all will be fine.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:20 AM

3 posts, read 9,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeating View Post
I have traveled all over this nation and in other country's and choose to stay in MO. Beautiful state and loving people. Suggestion stay out of the inncer city areas and all will be fine.

Where are the "inner city" areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City