Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 07:01 PM

991 posts, read 1,112,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

The good thing about this is that KC is probably the most mis-understood and underrated city in the United States because people simply do not have any idea that KC is as nice as it is or offers what it does. Most people just do not imagine a large metropolitan sophisticated and artsy city with a dense urban core and tons of big city attractions built into rolling hills with lots of tree and rivers when they think of KANSAS city….
I finally was able to get family members to visit me here (a lot of them won't head this far away from New York State, New Jersey, or the East Coast) by having a wedding...I have lived here now for several years and my dad visited once, my mom has come a couple of times, and I had a cousin come and stay for a couple days. When people got here this summer there was a lot of confusion: my grandma couldn't believe she was staying in Missouri even though the wedding was in the Plaza; they couldn't fathom that there was a city or trees here (they thought it would be flat empty land); my cousin's wife got sick at the prospect of spending a weekend not near one of the coasts (she mostly stayed in her hotel room the whole weekend)...I think one person was expecting the scene from Trains, Planes and Automobiles where they have to hitch a ride from the airport to the train station in the back of a pickup, etc...

It was a good time had by all, but it is so frustrating to beg people to come here and tell them that we have amenities like they do on the east coast, and have them still show up at Intercontinental Hotel amazed that it is not a haybarn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 08:31 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,293,529 times
Quote:
Pretty much my point. What happens in KS affects KC's image. If WBC was based in Blue Springs, it would have far less impact on the image of KC than having them based anywhere in Kansas. To people from beyond 100 miles of the KC area, Kansas = Kansas City. And even though Missouri can be just as conservative or bible thumping, they don't tend to do it as often or make as much national news as Kansas does and therefore they don't have the same image that Kansas does. Missouri does not really have an image at all other than St Louis, Branson and things like Mark Twain. Missouri is also one of the bigger tourism states of the Midwest. Kansas tend to be dead last or very close to last in tourism of all 50 states. People outside of KC absolutely do think of Missouri as a nicer or at least potentially more tolerable and livable place than Kansas.

The name "Kansas" City alone is the single most damaging thing to KC's image because KC's image is tied to all the negatives and stereotypes that Kansas generates in people's minds (whether fact or not).

And as a person that grew up in KCMO’s great urban neighborhoods, the whole Kansas thing is rather annoying.

Trust me, I am FAR from alone.

The good thing about this is that KC is probably the most mis-understood and underrated city in the United States because people simply do not have any idea that KC is as nice as it is or offers what it does. Most people just do not imagine a large metropolitan sophisticated and artsy city with a dense urban core and tons of big city attractions built into rolling hills with lots of tree and rivers when they think of KANSAS city….

They imagine Topeka and WBC right now just some crappy town in Kansas with a good NFL team.
So Independence, Missouri, which is part of Kansas City, Missouri, being the meth capital of the world would have a negative effect on Kansas' image too.

The whole attitude about Kansas and Johnson County is rather annoying to me and I am FAR from alone. I HATE urban neighborhoods, and I am FAR from alone.

Kansas City is FAR from sophisticated. You can just forget about that right now. If there were any sophistication, it would be from the Johnson County crowd, not Kansas City, Missouri. Without the influx of money from Johnson County, all the things you tout in Kansas City, Missouri would not exist. But you refuse to coexist with Johnson County, because you are jealous of it. You will deny it, but it's pretty obvious.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post

It was a good time had by all, but it is so frustrating to beg people to come here and tell them that we have amenities like they do on the east coast, and have them still show up at Intercontinental Hotel amazed that it is not a haybarn.
I think that says more about them than about Kansas City. They sound empty headed if they believe stereotypes instead of actual information and think there are no trees in Kansas. Really??? And I wouldn't beg anyone to come here. Let them think what they want. I like it here because it's NOT the east coast.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Kansas City is FAR from sophisticated. You can just forget about that right now. If there were any sophistication, it would be from the Johnson County crowd, not Kansas City, Missouri. Without the influx of money from Johnson County, all the things you tout in Kansas City, Missouri would not exist. But you refuse to coexist with Johnson County, because you are jealous of it. You will deny it, but it's pretty obvious.
Sophistication isn't about money, as some of the world's greatest artists, musicians, and writers were dirt poor. And you must be pretty blinded to think that sophistication only comes from one of the state line. I assume you are not that attuned to the arts scene in the city you live in...I like both sides of KC but I know that sophistication (and complete ignorance) exists on both sides. JOCO has a decent small gallery at JCCC, but Jackson County residents pay their fair share for the World-class cultural amenities on the MO side. Have you ever even bothered to meet any of the gallery owners in the Crossroads...these are people with a lot of sophistication and some of them own condos on Union Hill or in the Plaza or in other urban neighborhoods that you seem to rail against so much (not sure why either - you obviosly know very little about them).

Old 10-26-2013, 09:38 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,777,875 times
Those self-proclaimed Christians are a big joke. They need to read the Bible and see that Jesus never condemned any sinners except those who claimed to be righteous. The funny thing is that by being cheap and using a homosexual excuse, the waiter will end up getting more positive attention. I particularly get disgusted by the homophobics who themselves have a history of fornication and adultery.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:46 PM

26,434 posts, read 46,671,237 times
Quote:
I think that says more about them than about Kansas City. They sound empty headed if they believe stereotypes instead of actual information and think there are no trees in Kansas. Really??? And I wouldn't beg anyone to come here. Let them think what they want. I like it here because it's NOT the east coast.
It goes both ways. Most people in KC know little about the East Coast either. KC has quite a bias toward the West Coast that is often quite apparent. The I-95 corridor from Boston to DC is the Megalopolis with the vast majority of the population, jobs, and density. The interior Northeast is very rural overall by comparison with a collection of small to mid sized cities and densely wooded rural areas with very few people. The interior Northeast actually has a similar climate to parts of the Great Lakes region with similar types of economic activities found in the rural areas.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
Sophistication isn't about money, as some of the world's greatest artists, musicians, and writers were dirt poor. And you must be pretty blinded to think that sophistication only comes from one of the state line. I assume you are not that attuned to the arts scene in the city you live in...I like both sides of KC but I know that sophistication (and complete ignorance) exists on both sides. JOCO has a decent small gallery at JCCC, but Jackson County residents pay their fair share for the World-class cultural amenities on the MO side. Have you ever even bothered to meet any of the gallery owners in the Crossroads...these are people with a lot of sophistication and some of them own condos on Union Hill or in the Plaza or in other urban neighborhoods that you seem to rail against so much (not sure why either - you obviosly know very little about them).
I'm not talking about money, I am talking about people.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:01 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,932,987 times
Quote:
Just keep sticking your foot in your mouth.

Sophistication = driving from strip mall to strip mall in the soccer mom SUV and pretty much being oblivious to the world outside the perfect world of suburbia. Got it!

Old 10-26-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
The very definition of sophistication is:

the quality of being sophisticated.
"her air of sophistication and confidence"
synonyms: worldliness, experience; urbanity, culture, civilization, polish, refinement; elegance, style, poise, finesse, savoir faire; informal: cool

I would be hard pressed to say that KCMO side lacks sophistication considering those synonyms; some of our region's best chefs, artists, musicians, and other cultural contributors come from the MO side. Not saying that it's not on the KS side, but it certainly exists on the MO side as well. I guess I don't understand what your argument is. I think you mean that JOCO has more affluent people...which may or not be true; but affluent people are certainly not better than poor people, and I don't think there is a correlation between sophistication and affluence.

I have lived on both sides of the state line...I have an interest in both sides being recognized for the benefits they provide.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Just keep sticking your foot in your mouth.

Sophistication = driving from strip mall to strip mall in the soccer mom SUV and pretty much being oblivious to the world outside the perfect world of suburbia. Got it!
All people don't fit your stereotypes. You are the one sticking your foot in your mouth.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure most of the country doesn't think that Kansas City has a "pretty good football team." The truth is, they don't really care!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City