Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 07:41 AM

377 posts, read 571,067 times

Advertisements

Could you people start your own "I hate urban neighborhoods/I hate the suburbs" thread? Because your pissing contests are getting tiresome?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 07:58 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,689,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
This happened pretty close to where I live

And it's embarrassing. I reside in Overland Park and I have to field phone calls from my East Coast family wondering how on earth I could live in a place like this. I explain to them that Overland Park is actually metro KC, which is very much urban/suburban, offers many cosmopolitan amenities and is quite a pleasant place to live. I get frustrated that this kind of crap has to continually happen in Kansas and I have to defend where I live to others...
So your so-called family berates you and an entire city for this action?

Seems like a severe case of tunnel vision. They need to drop their hate.

I wouldn't even try to defend. I would just laugh and go on my merry way. You can't fix that kind of judgemental hate, so why try?

Old 10-27-2013, 12:19 PM

Because people love to feel superior to other people, that's why. It's basic to human nature. If a bunch of folks from the East or West coast can read about this incident and think, "God, those pathetic rubes in Kansas, I'm so glad I don't live there," it makes them feel good about themselves. That's why we throw hate at the "other," whether it's suburbanites hating on urbanites, city dwellers hating on the 'burbs, Democrats hating on Republicans, etc. We all want to be part of the better tribe.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:26 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,689,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificwhim View Post
Because people love to feel superior to other people, that's why. It's basic to human nature. If a bunch of folks from the East or West coast can read about this incident and think, "God, those pathetic rubes in Kansas, I'm so glad I don't live there," it makes them feel good about themselves. That's why we throw hate at the "other," whether it's suburbanites hating on urbanites, city dwellers hating on the 'burbs, Democrats hating on Republicans, etc. We all want to be part of the better tribe.
You can rest 100%+ assured I do NOT NOT NOT want to be any part whatsoever of democrats.

But that's just me.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,635,440 times
I cannot fathom giving a rat's ass about what anybody on either coast (or anywhere else) thinks of a community, state, city, HOME,etc. that I personally enjoy and value.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:34 PM

27 posts, read 38,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
So Independence, Missouri, which is part of Kansas City, Missouri, being the meth capital of the world would have a negative effect on Kansas' image too.

The whole attitude about Kansas and Johnson County is rather annoying to me and I am FAR from alone. I HATE urban neighborhoods, and I am FAR from alone.

Kansas City is FAR from sophisticated. You can just forget about that right now. If there were any sophistication, it would be from the Johnson County crowd, not Kansas City, Missouri. Without the influx of money from Johnson County, all the things you tout in Kansas City, Missouri would not exist. But you refuse to coexist with Johnson County, because you are jealous of it. You will deny it, but it's pretty obvious.
This is the most humerus and trivial post I've read in a while. Thanks for the good laugh.

You sound like you possess the same level of ignorance as the customers who left the anti-gay note (the originally intended topic of this thread).

Regards -

An Unsophisticated Crossroads Resident

Last edited by olinjoseph; 10-27-2013 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: Small edit

Old 10-28-2013, 08:42 AM

210 posts, read 429,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I cannot fathom giving a rat's ass about what anybody on either coast (or anywhere else) thinks of a community, state, city, HOME,etc. that I personally enjoy and value.
This x 100000000

And people I know from the coasts that have visited here absolutely love it.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:01 PM

I'm from the coast (California and Seattle born, raised, married, etc.) and I loved KC when I started coming here in 2000. So much so that I moved from Seattle to live here.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,635,440 times
I tend to find that those who are really critical and judgmental of places/cities/states/etc. wth which they have limited experience, it's a pretty good indicator that I'm just dealing with people who are overall unnecessarily judgmental, critical, and negative, so their opinion holds little meaning for me.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:09 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,047,668 times
I have heard the receipt is phony; the waiters had collaborated to manufacture a publicity stunt to increase sympathy tips. I can't prove it, but that is the rumor I have heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City