Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 03:47 PM

3 posts, read 2,032 times

Advertisements

I lived in western Pennsylvania my entire life until my early twenties. I have lived in Overland Park, Ks now for a little over two years, so I can’t speak much for the neighborhoods in Prairie Village. I have a a 4 year old and an almost 3 year old, and we have checked out a lot of parks in that area though, and we love them! I will say, the most challenging thing about doing outdoor activities and spending a lot of time outdoors here in general, is the weather just doesn’t often cooperate. I know growing up in PA We of course would endure a long and cold winter, but we traded off for a relatively mild spring, summer and fall. I was outside almost constantly as a kid in those seasons! Spring and fall here each seem to last anywhere from a day (not kidding!) to maybe 2-3 weeks. A lot of the times the weather does go into the 50-70 range it is accompanied by rain as well. So I have found it a bit challenging to consistently go for walks with my kids or to parks during those times. Summer is MUCH hotter than Pennsylvania. I think almost every day last year from May through September reached at least 90 (many 100 degree weeks too and very humid!) so we had to try hard to do most of our outdoor time, other than swimming, before 10 am. With all that said, It seems like a lot of people do spend a lot of time outside any chance they can get! Anytime we have ever been to the Prairie Village parks and playgrounds there are a lot of people there, and I see a lot of people walk to the park instead of drive, so I’m guessing a lot of walking is also happening when the weather is nice. A lot of the parks/playgrounds I have been to there are sort of built right in really close to the neighborhoods which is nice! Anyway, I know the extremes of the weather really caught me off guard when I moved here, so I just thought I’d share that perspective!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City