Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 10:33 PM

17 posts, read 43,796 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Kansas City at the end of July/beginning of August and need some suggestions for areas to live in and apartments. I will be teaching in the Liberty Public Schools but would prefer to be in a downtown area or where there is a higher concentration of young, single professionals.

I am 23 years old, a female, single, and most likely living by herself so safety is a huge factor. I am looking for something that isn't too far from downtown but not more than 30 minutes to Liberty.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 07:07 AM

24 posts, read 80,074 times
What price range are you looking for? That would help narrow things down some. In general, you'll probably want to look north of the river. When I started with my current company, the recent college grads were living around the Zona Rosa area near I-29 and 152. You'll find plenty of apartments along the 152 corridor in various price ranges. Barrewoods probably has almost everything you're looking for. Barrewoods | An ePartment Community | E-menities (http://barrewoods.com/emenities.php - broken link)

If you really want to live in downtown KC, the Plaza is the place to be, though it's not cheap. You'd probably need a roommate and get a 2 bedroom place to make it affordable.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:31 AM

16 posts, read 67,868 times
Liberty downtown area is a very safe area. Liberty as a whole is quiet bedroom community with great schools. You'll have no problem anywhere you decide to live. I am a real estate agent and probably could help you find a rental property in Liberty that you would probably be happy with. What price range are you looking for? My suggestions would be for rental homes!

Old 06-04-2009, 10:39 AM

17 posts, read 43,796 times
Thanks for the suggestions. I am hoping to keep rent at or below $700 a month if possible. I am finding thought that if I go too far under that then I end up in apartments that I really don't want to be in. So, I am trying to find affordable places that are still safe and fun areas to be in.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:59 AM

I think you'll find plenty in that price range in the Northland. You're mostly looking at 1-bedroom places, but some smaller 2-bedroom places might make it under $700.

Something else to consider is that Kansas City has a 2% income tax that applies if you live and / or work in Kansas City itself. Since you'll be employed in Liberty, you won't have to pay that extra 2% if you choose an apartment that does not have a "KCMO" address. As I'm sure you'll find out when you start working, local government in the Northland is odd and confusing. To give you an idea, here's a map of Kansas City districts: Kansas City, MO: Council District Map (http://www.kcmo.org/council.nsf/web/dist-map - broken link)

Note how N. Kansas City and Gladstone are surrounded by Kansas City. Liberty is that area East of Gladstone that's unmarked. If you find an apartment you like that is located in one of those areas, you'll pay less in local taxes. EDIT: Taxes in Liberty: while the 2% income tax is not there, they may have other local taxes levied that I don't know about.

There was another recent thread on the forum that will go into much more detail on the tax schemes in the area, it might be worth searching for. Overall though, it comes down to how you feel about the apartment and the area when you see it. When it comes down to pros and cons of places you found and like, that's when I'd think about taxes.

Last edited by wathman; 06-04-2009 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: Liberty Tax note

Old 06-04-2009, 01:34 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,903,988 times
First off, the KCMO Etax is 1% not 2%. If you make 50k a year, that’s $500 a year. 2% is $1000, so it makes a difference. A starting teacher probably makes 30k, so you would pay about $300 a year. If your employer is in KCMO, they usually take that tax out of every paycheck. So it would be about $12 a paycheck for you.

Is $6 a week enough to make you move clear to a different city or part of town when chances are you will offset trying to avoid the etax with other taxes and costs? I sure don’t’ think so.

Another thing to consider is much of the Liberty School District (especially the faster growing portions) is in KCMO, so it won’t matter where you live, you will be paying the tax, so the point is mute.

I guess I don’t think taxes between one metro city and another is something people should really consider when choosing where to live. On a grand scale of things with how much money an average person will spend annually, the difference between taxes in one city vs another is just so minimal it’s hard to calculate, but in general things tend to even out. Find a place you like. Don’t worry about the taxes. Just my opinion on that matter.

OK, moving on…

I would look very hard in the River Market area and the Downtown NKC area. Both would be very close to the Liberty area, yet offer a more urban, younger lifestyle.

It seems like NKC is really missing the boat though. There really is not that many new or nicer apartment complexes within walking distance of Downtown NKC. Seems like a gold mine of an area to build up a trendy new high density residential district around that vibrant downtown area while giving people an alternative to living in the far more urban areas south of the river and also be very close to the “city” and the more suburban areas of the Northland.

Come on NKC, you have the resources, you should be doing more to redevelop that city.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
First off, the KCMO Etax is 1% not 2%. If you make 50k a year, that’s $500 a year. 2% is $1000, so it makes a difference. A starting teacher probably makes 30k, so you would pay about $300 a year. If your employer is in KCMO, they usually take that tax out of every paycheck. So it would be about $12 a paycheck for you.

Is $6 a week enough to make you move clear to a different city or part of town when chances are you will offset trying to avoid the etax with other taxes and costs? I sure don’t’ think so.

Another thing to consider is much of the Liberty School District (especially the faster growing portions) is in KCMO, so it won’t matter where you live, you will be paying the tax, so the point is mute.

I guess I don’t think taxes between one metro city and another is something people should really consider when choosing where to live. On a grand scale of things with how much money an average person will spend annually, the difference between taxes in one city vs another is just so minimal it’s hard to calculate, but in general things tend to even out. Find a place you like. Don’t worry about the taxes. Just my opinion on that matter.

OK, moving on…

I would look very hard in the River Market area and the Downtown NKC area. Both would be very close to the Liberty area, yet offer a more urban, younger lifestyle.

It seems like NKC is really missing the boat though. There really is not that many new or nicer apartment complexes within walking distance of Downtown NKC. Seems like a gold mine of a area to build up trendy new high density residential district around that vibrant downtown area while giving people an alternative to living in the far more urban areas south of the river.
I didn't look too closely at the tax percentage precisely when I moved here last year since I work for a company in KCMO and I'd be paying the tax no matter what, so thanks to kcmo for clearing up the percentage specifics. As for choosing an apartment that you like more so than tax savings, that was my point as well. In my case I was choosing between a place I found in NKC and one off Green Hills Rd. /152. When I learned that tax wasn't significantly different, I went with the one off 152.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:26 AM

37 posts, read 210,912 times
It does matter where you live. Yes, it is true that approx. half of the district is in Kansas City proper, but you only pay the E tax if you live or work in Kansas City,MO. Your paycheck will be coming from the Liberty School District, whose administration office is in Liberty. As a district patron, Chairman of Liberty Kids First, and charter member of the Blue Ribbon Committee for the New Liberty High School, "Welcome to our district!"

Old 06-09-2009, 11:13 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,903,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRichard View Post
It does matter where you live. Yes, it is true that approx. half of the district is in Kansas City proper, but you only pay the E tax if you live or work in Kansas City,MO. Your paycheck will be coming from the Liberty School District, whose administration office is in Liberty. As a district patron, Chairman of Liberty Kids First, and charter member of the Blue Ribbon Committee for the New Liberty High School, "Welcome to our district!"
That's interesting. So even if you work in a KCMO school, you are employed by in Liberty.

Why isn’t Liberty building more homes? I don’t think Liberty has cracked the top ten metro cities in building permits in the past decade or so, yet the Schoal Creek area west of 35 is the fastest growing suburb in the metro. I would think Liberty would be right up there with Olathe, Lee’s Summit and Shoal Creek in home permits.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:43 PM

37 posts, read 210,912 times
The schools in the Liberty District located in Kansas City aren't "Kansas City" schools, but schools within the Liberty district that are in the city limits of Kansas City. School district boundries supercede city boundries, and you pay your property taxes for the operation of those schools based on your residence in the district, not based on the city in which you live. Liberty Public Schools include not only Liberty proper, but parts of Kansas City, Glenaire, Pleasant Valley, unincorporated Clay County, and believe it or not, a small part of Sugar Creek in Jackson County. North Kansas City School District includes all of NKC, parts of KC North, most of Pleasant Valley, and all of Gladstone, Birmingham, Randolph, Oakview, Oakwood, and the Village of Oaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City