Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 06:45 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,624,182 times

Advertisements

The music and arts scene is fairly developed for the size of city. Most people I know who I don't know through work are through fine arts activities, I perform with a few different ensembles and spend a lot of my free time with people involved in the arts.

I know there are also city amateur sports leagues, my work is always putting together soccer and softball and kickball teams, I know people who do roller derby, I know quite a few people who participate in the many running events that happen through the spring and summer, and I'm sure there are running clubs. For cycling enthusiasts, there are more than a few biking events that go on regularly/semi-regularly...one of the regular rides is sponsored by people I know who run a bike shop in my old neighborhood and is free to anybody who wants to participate. Even without being involved in teams or clubs, there are opportunities for staying physically fit and active. When we lived adjacent to it, my boyfriend and I used to bike and/or walk most of the trolley track trail nearly every weekend during nice weather. We've also done geocaching before, but have had mixed results.

For those of an academic, history buff bent (like my nerdy boyfriend and I), there are tons upon tons of historically significant sites in the area, and lots that have been restored and museum-ified.

For those with kids, there are many, many things to do - I take student groups out a lot, no shortage of family-friendly activities.

There's no less to do than in other comparable cities, really, in some interest areas, there's more.

I don't know, I don't find it boring at all...there's always something to do or go and see. Most of the time, it's free or cheap, too. I moved here with no preconceived notions, and not really knowing what to expect (I moved here to be with my SO). I've been pleasantly surprised at how much there actually is to do. I lived previously in a much larger city, wasn't sure what my expectations should be. Maybe it's just my interests and the fact that they happen to be well-matched, but I don't have any complaints at all about there not being stuff to do in KC. I generally suspect that people who find the city boring are people with fairly limited interests who would be bored essentially anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 08:44 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,601,140 times
Not to slam the OP but I feel like the only people who complain about a city singles scene on an internet forum are those who maybe don't have many friends/ any game to begin with.

There are plenty of ways you can get involved. You can join a professional organization, a worthy cause like habitat for humanity, or a volleyball, softball, kickball leauge.

Ask a single buddy from work to be your wingman and hit up happy hour at least once a week.

Does your university have a local alumni club? Most of the big ones do. You could get together to watch your team play.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:38 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,006,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500 View Post
I hear a lot of people just like you talk about being active. What can you do here in KC? There aren't many activities going on.

Whatever you are into, there are plenty of activities.

Do you really think that in a metro area of 2 million people that "there arent many activities going on"?

It doesnt matter if you are into church activities or S&M, there is plenty to do for everyone; you just have to look. Don't expect an invitation in your mailbox.

If you dont think there is much to do, that probably explains why you are having such a hard time finding women to date.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:09 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,018,691 times
Its not what I am used to, but I've never been bored here. There is always something to do and plenty of groups to join.

I would bet you could even find a group of furry midget transgender toad-lickers if you are into that.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:52 AM

36 posts, read 114,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I would bet you could even find a group of furry midget transgender toad-lickers if you are into that.
That is sooooooo true we are called MTTL hahahahaha. No but seriously if you are bored in KC you have put no effort into KC. There are tons of small or large private or public groups in this area. I may make that one of my next blogs.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:31 PM

52 posts, read 153,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorlander View Post
Not to slam the OP but I feel like the only people who complain about a city singles scene on an internet forum are those who maybe don't have many friends/ any game to begin with.

There are plenty of ways you can get involved. You can join a professional organization, a worthy cause like habitat for humanity, or a volleyball, softball, kickball leauge.

Ask a single buddy from work to be your wingman and hit up happy hour at least once a week.

Does your university have a local alumni club? Most of the big ones do. You could get together to watch your team play.

First of all, I am not going to school right now. When I went to a community college, I actually joined some activities there, but as I mentioned before....how many times do I have to repeat it....most good girls I've met are taken. I've met some weird single girls and they dissapeared faster than an ice cube when it came to be serious. There is a difference between a one night stand and finding a meaningful long term relationship. I am not looking for a one night stand type of a deal.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:36 PM

52 posts, read 153,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Whatever you are into, there are plenty of activities.

Do you really think that in a metro area of 2 million people that "there arent many activities going on"?

It doesnt matter if you are into church activities or S&M, there is plenty to do for everyone; you just have to look. Don't expect an invitation in your mailbox.

If you dont think there is much to do, that probably explains why you are having such a hard time finding women to date.

ok bud...what would you do? Where can you find a good single woman who is not taken, not some whores who don't give a crap about you except a one night stand.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:47 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,018,691 times
Legion Halls are always good places to pick up some nice beer-swilling, chain-smoking skank that you would be proud to show off to your friends and family.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:03 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,006,278 times
Quote:
ok bud...what would you do? Where can you find a good single woman who is not taken, not some whores who don't give a crap about you except a one night stand.

What I would do isnt relevant. I am married with children so my taste in activities are probably didnt than yours.

What you need to understand is that there is not like some golden place where all good single women in KC hangout. They are everywhere. You will meet one when you meet one.

If you want to share what you are into I am sure others along with myself can give you some recommendations.

As I said before, there is no shame in using the internet. I have some attractive, successful, intelligent friends of both sexes that have used the internet to find their SO.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:13 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,601,140 times
Quote:
First of all, I am not going to school right now. When I went to a community college, I actually joined some activities there, but as I mentioned before....how many times do I have to repeat it....most good girls I've met are taken. I've met some weird single girls and they dissapeared faster than an ice cube when it came to be serious. There is a difference between a one night stand and finding a meaningful long term relationship. I am not looking for a one night stand type of a deal.

When did I say you were in school? I said alumni clubf How was my post geared towards one night stands? If girls are scared off the second you try to get serious, then you are coming on way too strong.
Meaningful relationships often start as friendships. You often meet gals through other friends. This is why I suggested you get your self out there and join some clubs/teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City