Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 04:31 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSandsYucca View Post
I really like Overland Park, KS. In fact, I have family there. It is considered one of the nicest suburbs in the United States, and it is easy to see why. It is basically the "Highlands Ranch (Denver)" or "Plano (Dallas)" of the Kansas City area. While much of the Kansas City area has a broken-up street grid built on hills, and around ravines, that particular area offers more gentle geography, and thus, is able to have a nice, complete grid, which is easy to navigate around.

Along with sharp, high-tech office buildings lining the wide 405 freeway, I believe the city has a code that reinforces design and colors used on new construction (businesses, office buildings, strip malls, banks, ect), giving the city a sharp, harmonized feel. New homes styles are attractive, being contemporary, and both influenced by the east and the west. Being in a region between the woodsy east, and the barren west, the area isn't crowded with too many trees, is kinda open, yet has plenty of greenery.

Overall, I really am impressed with Overland Park, too, and can understand why it caught your eye. It is a nice place to live in America's midwest.
I appreciate your opinion regarding Overland Park. I will address your points individually.

1) "While much of the Kansas City area has a broken-up street grid built on hills, and around ravines, that particular area offers more gentle geography, and thus, is able to have a nice, complete grid, which is easy to navigate around."

I can't disagree with that in the least. The numbered street system is very easy to navigate, but the grid layout can get rather bland over time.

2)"Along with sharp, high-tech office buildings lining the wide 405 freeway, I believe the city has a code that reinforces design and colors used on new construction (businesses, office buildings, strip malls, banks, ect), giving the city a sharp, harmonized feel. New homes styles are attractive, being contemporary, and both influenced by the east and the west."

Well, my parents lived within 10 blocks of that I-435 mess in Overland Park. I consider that area to be "the urbanization of suburbia" with many office buildings as well as an 8 lane highway. I really do not consider the new homes attractive, but that is my opinion. The new home architecture is mainly cookie cutter with a definite SW or western bias, and is not attractive to me at all.

3) "Being in a region between the woodsy east, and the barren west, the area isn't crowded with too many trees, is kinda open, yet has plenty of greenery.
Overall, I really am impressed with Overland Park, too, and can understand why it caught your eye. It is a nice place to live in America's midwest"

The Kansas City metro area is in my opinion a Central Plains city that tries to fit in with the Midwest, but is much different than a Chicago, Minneapolis, or even Des Moines. Those cities are part of the Midwest core and have much colder winters than Kansas City. The landscape is more open in newer subdivisions that plowed the trees under or built homes on former fields of corn.

Overall, your view of Overland Park is consistent with other posters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 05:10 PM

226 posts, read 576,652 times
^In my opinion, I don't think Kansas City tries to "fit in" with the Midwest. I think it seems to stand proudly where it sits, not trying to be St. Louis to the east, or Denver to the west. I feel the city has a healthy identity, and is mostly "white collar" and artsy, and has some edge, and energy. Residents seem to be content (and even proud) of their city, much like you feel in Denver, Seattle, or Minneapolis. The city doesn't seem to have the "heaviness" of history and tradition I feel in the East, yet also does not quite have that wild, open flair I feel in the newer, western cities, either -- though, I feel a touch of it in KC. I'm impressed with KC. I feel the town does have a certain quality that is unique. I feel it is hard-working and down-to-earth (like all Midwest towns), yet has always made a special point to appreciate things artful and fanciful, in a Bohemian-type attitude, or something. It is known for jazz and fountains and art, yet is also known for down-home, simplier Midwest living, like backyard bar-b-queing.

I feel Overland Park is simply the most notable corner of an already healthy, vibrant metro -- kind of KC's suburban "Yuppieville". Yes, the grid is boring, but it is welcome, after trying to tackle the confusing tangle of winding and dead-end streets commonly found in the KC area.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:50 PM

69 posts, read 251,274 times
Kansas City doesn't try to "fit in" with the Midwest! Kansas City is a little gem of a city in the Midwest. Yes, WhiteSandsYucca, I'm very proud of my city, and I'm sure the majority of residents feel the same whether they reside in Kansas or Missouri. Overland Park is a great place to live and work, a beautiful suburb with so many nice residential areas especially the older communities. Overland Park has been selected for "best places" lists by numerous periodicals. Kansas City has class! Enjoy your family visits, WhiteSands, and thanks for your nice comments. I don't mind the roads on the Missouri side. They aren't always straight, but Missouri too has so many pretty residential areas to get lost in and explore.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedes1 View Post
Kansas City doesn't try to "fit in" with the Midwest! Kansas City is a little gem of a city in the Midwest. Yes, WhiteSandsYucca, I'm very proud of my city, and I'm sure the majority of residents feel the same whether they reside in Kansas or Missouri. Overland Park is a great place to live and work, a beautiful suburb with so many nice residential areas especially the older communities. Overland Park has been selected for "best places" lists by numerous periodicals. Kansas City has class! Enjoy your family visits, WhiteSands, and thanks for your nice comments. I don't mind the roads on the Missouri side. They aren't always straight, but Missouri too has so many pretty residential areas to get lost in and explore.
We will just have to agree to disagree. I consider Kansas City to be much more of a Great Plains city than a Midwest city without a doubt in my mind. Kansas City is a Great Plains city along with Omaha, Sioux Falls, Lincoln, Des Moines, and Fargo. I have been to most of the major Midwest cities including: Chicago, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Madison, and Grand Rapids and Kansas City just really does not have as much in common with those cities. Granted, some similarities do exist, but Kansas City is much more of a plains city overall.

Overland Park is an EXCELLENT place to work, but I feel that it has gotten too crowded for my tastes. I will agree that Overland Park has many older neighborhoods that some of the outer suburbs and exurbs lack. Overland Park has many more tree lined neighborhoods with quality built homes compared with Olathe or a a Gardner.

(Continued)JOCO has just gotten way to crowded and congested for me over the past 5-10 years. (That is my opinion of course) I plan on moving to a smaller town in New England to be closer to my family.

I am not trying to be disagreeable, but these are my thoughts after living in JOCO for over 20 years.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 02-05-2008 at 10:29 PM..

Old 02-05-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
^In my opinion, I don't think Kansas City tries to "fit in" with the Midwest. I think it seems to stand proudly where it sits, not trying to be St. Louis to the east, or Denver to the west. I feel the city has a healthy identity, and is mostly "white collar" and artsy, and has some edge, and energy. Residents seem to be content (and even proud) of their city, much like you feel in Denver, Seattle, or Minneapolis. The city doesn't seem to have the "heaviness" of history and tradition I feel in the East, yet also does not quite have that wild, open flair I feel in the newer, western cities, either -- though, I feel a touch of it in KC. I'm impressed with KC. I feel the town does have a certain quality that is unique. I feel it is hard-working and down-to-earth (like all Midwest towns), yet has always made a special point to appreciate things artful and fanciful, in a Bohemian-type attitude, or something. It is known for jazz and fountains and art, yet is also known for down-home, simplier Midwest living, like backyard bar-b-queing.

I feel Overland Park is simply the most notable corner of an already healthy, vibrant metro -- kind of KC's suburban "Yuppieville". Yes, the grid is boring, but it is welcome, after trying to tackle the confusing tangle of winding and dead-end streets commonly found in the KC area.
I will use an example of how KC tries to "fit in" with the Midwest.
1) Landscaping and trees are planted in KC that are normally grown much further northeast such as the Great Lakes area and portions of the Upper Midwest. A good example includes all of the pine trees planted in the metro area. Kansas officially does not have any coniferous trees native to the state besides the cedar. Kansas City originally did not have that many trees, especially west of the State Line if you look at old photographs from the early 1900s. Kansas City gradually planted more trees over time in many of the planned suburban developments and parks. Originally, a lot of the landscape consisted of tall grass prairie with trees mainly growing closer to rivers and streams. However, landscape modification occurs everywhere in the US and is not unique to the Kansas City metro area. Kansas City is a Great Plains city with some Midwest elements.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 02-05-2008 at 10:31 PM..

Old 02-05-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:

Did you previously live in the KC metro? I notice that your location is listed as "southwest USA"

Old 02-06-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
We will just have to agree to disagree. I consider Kansas City to be much more of a Great Plains city than a Midwest city without a doubt in my mind. Kansas City is a Great Plains city along with Omaha, Sioux Falls, Lincoln, Des Moines, and Fargo. I have been to most of the major Midwest cities including: Chicago, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Madison, and Grand Rapids and Kansas City just really does not have as much in common with those cities. Granted, some similarities do exist, but Kansas City is much more of a plains city overall.

Overland Park is an EXCELLENT place to work, but I feel that it has gotten too crowded for my tastes. I will agree that Overland Park has many older neighborhoods that some of the outer suburbs and exurbs lack. Overland Park has many more tree lined neighborhoods with quality built homes compared with Olathe or a a Gardner.

(Continued)JOCO has just gotten way to crowded and congested for me over the past 5-10 years. (That is my opinion of course) I plan on moving to a smaller town in New England to be closer to my family.

I am not trying to be disagreeable, but these are my thoughts after living in JOCO for over 20 years.
I'll agree that is more of a "Great Plains" city, along with places like Omaha. Yet, technically, I've seen a map, and the Great Plains start west of Omaha, and drawing a straight line south from Omaha, you hit Topeka, KS -- one hour west of Kansas City. So, I feel KC is more on the edge of the Great Plains (even less so than Omaha, though).

As far as regional botanica, KC is fairly woodsy, more so than Omaha. Yet, I don't feel introducing and planting pine trees in the area as "trying to be like the Midwest." I don't feel pines are the typical "tree statement" of the Midwest, like dedicious trees are. And, different varieties of pine exist almost everywhere. Even deserty cities like Phoenix and Las Vegas and Albuquerque, have pines for landscaping. I do know that places that are especially hot and muggy, like Dallas and Okla City, have a harder time supporting pines, because of bores.

I'm not trying to disagree with you, or anything. I just don't see it exactly like you do. And, yes, I've lived in the KC area before, and am very familiar with the town. It is the geographical center of the USA, and most people consider it a "Midwestern Town", being only 3 hours west of St. Louis. Yet, again, I agree, the Midwest really starts phasing out there, and the Great Plains begin to start.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedes1 View Post
Glad we see eye to eye on KC! Yes, I actually think winding roads (on the Missouri side) are very interesting and scenic. It is only that I really appreciate the grid street system of Overland Park when I want to find my way around easier, without pulling out a map. Ya know?! Anyways, glad to hear your enthusiam for your city!

Old 02-06-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
I'll agree that is more of a "Great Plains" city, along with places like Omaha. Yet, technically, I've seen a map, and the Great Plains start west of Omaha, and drawing a straight line south from Omaha, you hit Topeka, KS -- one hour west of Kansas City. So, I feel KC is more on the edge of the Great Plains (even less so than Omaha, though).

As far as regional botanica, KC is fairly woodsy, more so than Omaha. Yet, I don't feel introducing and planting pine trees in the area as "trying to be like the Midwest." I don't feel pines are the typical "tree statement" of the Midwest, like dedicious trees are. And, different varieties of pine exist almost everywhere. Even deserty cities like Phoenix and Las Vegas and Albuquerque, have pines for landscaping. I do know that places that are especially hot and muggy, like Dallas and Okla City, have a harder time supporting pines, because of bores.

I'm not trying to disagree with you, or anything. I just don't see it exactly like you do. And, yes, I've lived in the KC area before, and am very familiar with the town. It is the geographical center of the USA, and most people consider it a "Midwestern Town", being only 3 hours west of St. Louis. Yet, again, I agree, the Midwest really starts phasing out there, and the Great Plains begin to start.
I agree with you for the most part. I guess I feel that KC is really not that woodsy because of all the trees that have been planted that do not naturally grow here, especially on the Kansas side of the metro. I will say that KC has some Midwest "influences," but I don't think it is part of the Midwest core like Minneapolis, Chicago, Grand Rapids, Madison, etc. For example, Topeka, KS feels like more of a Plains city compared with the Kansas City metro. It is a little strange because not a lot of geographical separation exists. Missouri also seems more woodsy compared with E Kansas where I live. The Great Lakes cities have huge pine and spruce trees. Midwest trees contain a good variety between Deciduous and Coniferous in states like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Ohio. I remember the first time I visited that region I was surprised that the pines were over 80-90ft tall in some areas. It is hard to grow those type of trees to that height in Kansas City because of the hotter climate.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Glad we see eye to eye on KC! Yes, I actually think winding roads (on the Missouri side) are very interesting and scenic. It is only that I really appreciate the grid street system of Overland Park when I want to find my way around easier, without pulling out a map. Ya know?! Anyways, glad to hear your enthusiam for your city!
I can definitely understand why you like the grid system. Sorry if I was trying to be disagreeable eariler. I will admit that KC has some Midwest "influences" but I still consider it more of a Great Plains city compared with other metros further to the northeast like I mentioned earlier.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 02-06-2008 at 08:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City