Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 03:28 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times

Advertisements

There is plenty of room to move around anywhere in Ks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2006, 03:36 PM

You might want to check out Mo as well. I am not knocking Ks at but. Mo has alot more scenery types than Ks. Moving to Western Ks might have a few moments of "nothing here for miles and miles". I would suggest renting at first. If you move to eatern Ks then you might do a lot of weekend vacationing in Mo. Such as Lake of The Ozarks, Truman Lake, Lake Pomme de Terre, Branson, World's of Fun&Oceans of Fun in KC, Arabia Steamboat Museum in KC. The Plaza in KC.I can guarantee you that a major portion off the traffic heading back towards KC from these locations is from KS.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:41 PM

4 posts, read 15,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbeans4 View Post
I posted this twice, Sorry. Anyway, someone posted that they live outside Winfield and have a 4 day school week. Is this true?
Yes, it is true. USD #462 (Central of Burden) in Burden, Kansas runs 4-day school week schedules. Burden is located 12 miles east of Winfield. They did so to save money.

Quote:
Are there any other counties in Kansas that do this?
I'm not certain, since I haven't lived in the area for a while, but I believe Dexter schools do this also (17 miles east of winfield). I'm betting there are more than a few schools in the state that also run 4-day work weeks.

Quote:
Also how is the snowfall? I would like my 12 year old and 2 year old to be able to play in the snow and make snowmen etc.
Snowfall tends to be fickle in Kansas. Some years we get heavy snow storms, some years we get nothing but flurries and ice storms. Snow tends to fall more often along and north of I-70, from east to west. Western Kansas can sometimes get nasty snow storms. You might get 2-4 times/year that snow will be on the ground for 4 days or less.

Quote:
And my husband owns a small carpentry business here in Atlanta but is also interested in truck driving, so we need to know what the industries are like in Kansas.
What do you mean when you say "what the industries are like"? There is a wide variety of industry in Kansas. South-central Kansas has a large amount of industry, with aviation being particularly strong in the area (Boeing, Learjet, Cessna in Wichita). Coleman is also located in Wichita. Rubbermaid, GE is in the Winfield area. A meat packing plant in Ark City. Etc, etc, etc. That's just a bite of what's here. Plenty of industry. Hope that helps.

Old 09-20-2006, 07:03 AM

126 posts, read 319,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartA View Post
What do you mean when you say "what the industries are like"? There is a wide variety of industry in Kansas. South-central Kansas has a large amount of industry, with aviation being particularly strong in the area (Boeing, Learjet, Cessna in Wichita). Coleman is also located in Wichita. Rubbermaid, GE is in the Winfield area. A meat packing plant in Ark City. Etc, etc, etc. That's just a bite of what's here. Plenty of industry. Hope that helps.
I guess I meant to say what are "these" industries like. Meaning truck driving and carpentry. The lack of subdivisions is good and bad for us, I like it better without one on every corner, but it also means there probably isn't a huge demand for trim work and decks. So we are looking into truck driving also. That's the way it goes though, the whole reason we are still in Georgia is the amount of work there is, but the whole reason there is so much work is all the people, subdivisions etc. A catch-22 if there ever was one. I do appreciate all of the information though, and maybe I should start looking into the manufacturing plants you listed, I never even thought of that. You opened my eyes to other possibilites, Thanks again.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:30 AM

When you drive across Ks you will see many semi-trucks located on nice places in the country. Many people from Ks are over the roaders.

Old 09-22-2006, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
When you drive across Ks you will see many semi-trucks located on nice places in the country. Many people from Ks are over the roaders.
Good to know, maybe the manufacturing facilities have something to do with that. I should also look into truck driving for those companies. Hopefully by next spring we will be able to take our trip up there and I can see what your talking about.

Old 09-25-2006, 09:17 AM

After thinking about it over the weekend. I feel that as a trim carpenter that you will find work; more so than a rough in guy. I think that you will have too travel quite a bit and if you move to westrn Ks then some of your work will lead you to Colorado.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
After thinking about it over the weekend. I feel that as a trim carpenter that you will find work; more so than a rough in guy. I think that you will have too travel quite a bit and if you move to westrn Ks then some of your work will lead you to Colorado.
What kind of trim work? New homes? I was so centered on Kansas it never even occured to me that he could go to Colorado for work, we really could be close enough in W. Kansas. Is the housing industry in the Eastern part of Colorado bigger than Kansas? My sister lives in Greeley, but that's not really close to where we will be.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:53 AM

I cannot comment on housing in Eastern Co. I would venture to say that it is larger than W,Ks and grows larger as you near Denver.

Old 09-27-2006, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,137 times
Smile Consider Marion, Kansas

Marion is a quaint little community with plenty of snowfall (no thanks to the effects of global warming). We are right in the middle of the beautiful Flint Hills of Kansas. We have an excellent school system. We have a population of only 2,110 people. We are in the process of expanding our school system to include a new sunken gymnasium, new auditorium and a new indoor competition sized swimming pool. We are 45 minutes west of Emporia, 45 minutes south of Junction City, 30 minutes east of Newton and 45 minutes north of El Dorado and 60 minutes north east of Wichita. We have the safety and security of a small town with larger amenities a short drive away. We have several housing incentives Bucks for Building - where we pay you to build a house in Marion; and neighborhood revitalization tax rebates on improvements. We also have a business development grant program available for new or existing businesses wanting to expand. Please check us out at www.cityofmarion.kansasgov.com. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas