Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 10:25 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,896,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The fact of the matter is Kansans deserve whatever they get for electing someone like Brownback in the first place
Surely you know that not all Kansans voted for him. I didn't vote for him, yet I am a Kansan. I surely don't deserve what I get from having him as my governor.

One good thing to come out of this is some of the people who did vote for him are now regretting it and will not be voting to re-elect him.

Neither he nor his staff have any business trying to persecute/punish this girl for her expression of free speech on her twitter account. Brownback and others love to claim that they support the US Constitution, but look at how they their treat the 1st Amendment in this girl's case. Hypocrisy! Ugh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 11:30 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,694,677 times
I don't think registered Republicans in Kansas make up the majority of registered voters. Too many Democrats in Kansas don't vote. I think this would be good fodder to bring up at the next election to get the unaffiliated voters to vote for a moderate Democrat.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:20 AM

25,978 posts, read 22,169,754 times
I have not seen what comments the girl made but one article called them "hate", which makes me wonder. Do we know exactly what she was saying in this case? I voted for Brownback and would again in a second and I keep an eye on what he is doing and suits me just fine. His office is ALWAYS responsive to any issues that I bring to their attention. I don't know exactly what was going on in this case but the story comes across as one-sided. Until I see exactly what she said, I would not make a judgment. I have seen a few anti-Brownback statements on here so, have you received a reprimand?

Old 11-28-2011, 05:45 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,735,590 times
All this "outrage" over this incident is a measure of just how far our culture has slipped.

There is no "freedom of speech" issue here as no legal authority has made or will make any effort to stifle this poorly raised young lady's right to show the world how immature and ill-mannered she is.

An attempt was made to educate her....not about her political beliefs....but about how to conduct herself in a civil and respectable manner. I guess we're just way past the point where that is even remotely acceptable.

That is the real tragedy here....that there is zero tolerance today for any attempt to steer youth in the right direction and away from the cesspool that our current pop culture is.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:00 AM

10,756 posts, read 23,855,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
All this "outrage" over this incident is a measure of just how far our culture has slipped.

There is no "freedom of speech" issue here as no legal authority has made or will make any effort to stifle this poorly raised young lady's right to show the world how immature and ill-mannered she is.

An attempt was made to educate her....not about her political beliefs....but about how to conduct herself in a civil and respectable manner. I guess we're just way past the point where that is even remotely acceptable.

That is the real tragedy here....that there is zero tolerance today for any attempt to steer youth in the right direction and away from the cesspool that our current pop culture is.
That is something that both liberals and conservatives can and should agree upon. Well said.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:31 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,837,892 times
Anyone that makes a fuss over an 18 year old saying that someone "sucks" or "blowsalot" however crass the relatively mild terms may be (even if that someone is yourself or your boss) is too touchy and defensive to be in politics IMO. Good grief.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:14 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,988,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

Finally somebody who gets it! I simply don't understand the negative response to this all.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:17 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,988,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
Anyone that makes a fuss over an 18 year old saying that someone "sucks" or "blowsalot" however crass the relatively mild terms may be (even if that someone is yourself or your boss) is too touchy and defensive to be in politics IMO. Good grief.
It seems you're thinking this was all a selfish act. Maybe that's just the way you think. But can you not see that maybe it's just that Brownback cares about Kansas youth?

Old 11-28-2011, 09:28 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,837,892 times
MOKAN said: "But can you not see that maybe it's just that Brownback cares about Kansas youth?"

I'd be more inclined toward that belief if the governor's office had quietly and personally, one on one, sought out and contacted the youngster for an open dialog in person without involving the school and student government program. It would have more constructive, more classy and less defensive and somehow small seeming that all this brouhaha over her thoughtless tweet has become. Now who appears to be the childish one? IMO Brownback and his office.

And lest folks think it's none of my business, we have purchased property in KS and this will be our home. We recently had a well known politician just like your governor....it comes to no good end, regardless of the expressed intent. JMO and FWIW.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,923,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Finally somebody who gets it! I simply don't understand the negative response to this all.
Really, because I find the governor's behavior repulsive and more than a little scary.

The governor of Kansas has paid staffers monitoring the internet/social media for critical comments. When these paid staffers locate a comment they deem sufficiently disloyal, they decide to report the comment to the principal of a school and expect him to punish the student by proxy. This is the kind of stuff you would expect to see happen in China or North Korea.

Both the governor and the principal should apologize to the student, not the other way around.

Any hope that Governor Blowsalot had for any higher office is gone now. This overreaction to a tweet will be his personal political Waterloo moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas