U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2012, 09:32 AM
 
Location: IN
22,425 posts, read 39,052,805 times
Reputation: 14948

Advertisements

Oil companies desperately seek water amid Kansas drought - Aug. 10, 2012

It is definitely a race to the bottom. Water is to the 21st century what oil was to the 20th century. I don't see this ending well...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-25-2012, 02:06 AM
 
Location: Topeka, KS
374 posts, read 417,124 times
Reputation: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
...ending well...
Enough with the puns.

Oh, and try as you might, you aren't quite gaining the separation you crave...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2012, 10:09 AM
 
60,059 posts, read 46,759,862 times
Reputation: 37238
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Oil companies desperately seek water amid Kansas drought - Aug. 10, 2012

It is definitely a race to the bottom. Water is to the 21st century what oil was to the 20th century. I don't see this ending well...
I don't know. Seems like a bit of melodrama. Droughts happen.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2012, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Nebraska
4,527 posts, read 7,872,563 times
Reputation: 7483
Just one year ago flooding was the big crisis along the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers basins. It is too bad we don't have a system in place to divert floodwaters to areas when/where needed. I have posted several comments about the topic in the past few years.
GL2
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2012, 04:01 PM
 
Location: IN
22,425 posts, read 39,052,805 times
Reputation: 14948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I don't know. Seems like a bit of melodrama. Droughts happen.
Droughts in much of Kansas will become more frequent as temperatures increase. You should know this... Higher temperatures yield a higher rate of evapotranspiration- regardless of precipitation amount. This will become an increasing problem in oil patch regions of the US in semi-arid climate regions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2012, 04:01 PM
 
Location: IN
22,425 posts, read 39,052,805 times
Reputation: 14948
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpiv View Post
Enough with the puns.

Oh, and try as you might, you aren't quite gaining the separation you crave...
I'm not sure what you're talking about
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2012, 04:03 PM
 
Location: IN
22,425 posts, read 39,052,805 times
Reputation: 14948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Just one year ago flooding was the big crisis along the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers basins. It is too bad we don't have a system in place to divert floodwaters to areas when/where needed. I have posted several comments about the topic in the past few years.
GL2
It would be great if a system like this could be designed and implemented- while being effective and cost efficient. I know that they divert excess precipitation in wet years to recharge the Ogallala Aquifer which is definitely a great thing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2012, 06:41 PM
 
60,059 posts, read 46,759,862 times
Reputation: 37238
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Droughts in much of Kansas will become more frequent as temperatures increase. You should know this... Higher temperatures yield a higher rate of evapotranspiration- regardless of precipitation amount. This will become an increasing problem in oil patch regions of the US in semi-arid climate regions.
This is a good point. I guess I was not picking up on your timeframe of concern.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2012, 06:57 PM
 
Location: IN
22,425 posts, read 39,052,805 times
Reputation: 14948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
This is a good point. I guess I was not picking up on your timeframe of concern.
The time frame is longer term. I have seen GIS modeling from KU that predict severe problems for all types of farming and ranching in Kansas down the road because of a warmer climate. This doesn't mean that wet years will not occur, it will mean that droughts will become much more common and intense over time. The Topeka NWS has indicated that it has been the warmest year (2012) since records have been kept- over 130 years. So if warmer years like this one become much more common the economic implications will be extremely severe. Farmers can only adapt to a certain point, and you can't grow crops with temperatures higher than 110F. One reporting station in Graham county near Hill City reported an air temperature of over 121F this summmer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2012, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,408 posts, read 28,046,958 times
Reputation: 16566
Looks like we need Al Gore to save us.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top