Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 04:27 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Interesting.

As a New York City person, what is it does your state have to offer that would entice me?

Granted, I haven't heard anything negative about the state, but in all honesty, no one talks about it all, at least in NYC. Nor do we speak of moving to Iowa, Idaho, Montana or Missouri. We consider these the tumbleweed or flyover states.

Also, the tornado thing could get quite annoying just like the hurricanes are to Florida.
Actually, Florida has more tornados than Kansas. True story. I suspect the only reason people equate Kansas and tornados is The Wizard of Oz. I have lived here 56 years and I've never seen a tornado.

What does Kansas have that New York City doesn't? LOW CRIME and we don't have people piled on top of each other like sardines. You can get in your car and actually get somewhere. We are not infested with rats. We have wide open spaces nearby.

And frankly, I don't want to entice you to live here. I'd rather you stayed in New York!

You couldn't pay me to live in New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 04:31 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Elbow room and nice people.
Lol! Good one CrownVic.

No, seriously. Do you think the state could get the tech and/or financial industries to set up shop there to make it more interesting?

How is your public transportation? Is it good? Does it stop running after 9:00 pm? How much is gas?

Old 09-20-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Actually, Florida has more tornados than Kansas. True story. I suspect the only reason people equate Kansas and tornados is The Wizard of Oz. I have lived here 56 years and I've never seen a tornado.
OMG!!! I'm dying here, because that's EXACTLY where I got the info too!!! LMAO!!

But I thought I saw a show on the Weather Channel where this guy was chasing tornadoes and it was in Kansas. Maybe I was mistaken?

Quote:
What does Kansas have that New York City doesn't? LOW CRIME and we don't have people piled on top of each other like sardines. You can get in your car and actually get somewhere. We are not infested with rats. We have wide open spaces nearby.
These are wonderful positives. Seriously.

Quote:
And frankly, I don't want to entice you to live here. I'd rather you stayed in New York!
Now, now. Don't be mean.

I'm not one of those New Yorkers that want to "change" the city I move to into another NY. Please believe I don't want that AT ALL! NYC in its current state is a DISASTER to anyone not making over $500,000 a year.

Can you survive in the state or the main cities without a car? Is public transportation pretty decent?

Old 09-20-2013, 04:39 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Lol! Good one CrownVic.

No, seriously. Do you think the state could get the tech and/or financial industries to set up shop there to make it more interesting?

How is your public transportation? Is it good? Does it stop running after 9:00 pm? How much is gas?
I moved away (family issues) 23 years ago, so I can't really tell you much about current industry trends. But I can tell you that, outside of the summer heat and humidity, it (Johnson County) was the nicest place I've ever lived for a young family.

Public transportation? You come to Kansas to get away from public transportation. Most Kansans don't need it or want it. I don't know what gas is currently, bet you can bet it's less than in NYC. luzianne could pin it down for you.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I moved away (family issues) 23 years ago, so I can't really tell you much about current industry trends. But I can tell you that, outside of the summer heat and humidity, it (Johnson County) was the nicest place I've ever lived for a young family.

Public transportation? You come to Kansas to get away from public transportation. Most Kansans don't need it or want it. I don't know what gas is currently, bet you can bet it's less than in NYC. luzianne could pin it down for you.
Wait? You don't have a BUS LINE anywhere?? Only cars??

Old 09-20-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
No, I didn't say that. There are some buses, but you won't find anything like the go-everywhere coverage that NYC has. Not enough demand - for good reason.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
No, I didn't say that. There are some buses, but you won't find anything like the go-everywhere coverage that NYC has. Not enough demand - for good reason.
Oh, okay. I guess that's good.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:15 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
This is a Kansas City problem, one of the worst cities of its size in the country for most transit. St. Louis, Chicago, Minneapolis have more transit.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:20 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Maybe Kansans are too busy making a living, raising families, and worshipping God to spend a lot of time at this forum.
Actually, internet in a lot of areas in KS is too expensive especially if you live in the rural areas so many people don't have access for that reason and many, many people are older and do not use the technology. Worshiping God? Some. Others meth, crack and pot which are a problem in KS just like everywhere else. Definitely making a living in a state where wages are low can keep them on the run. Neighbor had 3 jobs, one just to pay for health insurance.

Quote:
Interesting.

As a New York City person, what is it does your state have to offer that would entice me?

Granted, I haven't heard anything negative about the state, but in all honesty, no one talks about it all, at least in NYC. Nor do we speak of moving to Iowa, Idaho, Montana or Missouri. We consider these the tumbleweed or flyover states.

Also, the tornado thing could get quite annoying just like the hurricanes are to Florida.
The majority of people that move in come strictly because they need a job and there is one here. So, if you didn't have any other options, you might choose to come. I agree that no one talks about the state since we have traveled and lived other places. All you get is the standard Wizard of Oz......... If you see the post below that I am quoting, you'll get a good idea of at the attitude you would get here. I once started working at a Chamber of Commerce in one city here and since the population was older and not being replaced, I asked "What do you do to try to get people to move here?" She said "We don't want them to move here. We want them to come, spend their money and leave."

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post

You couldn't pay me to live in New York.
Yes, FL is #1, New York isn't close but KS is #2: Tornado Expert Ranks Top Tornado States - weather.com and this was weighted considering the square miles in each state relative to the number of actual tornadoes so try this: Tornado Climatology And crime? New York City: //www.city-data.com/city/New-York-New-York.html and Kansas City: //www.city-data.com/city/New-York-New-York.html and I went back twice to check to make sure I had pulled up the right cities!

Old 09-20-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
This is a Kansas City problem, one of the worst cities of its size in the country for most transit. St. Louis, Chicago, Minneapolis have more transit.
First, she asked about Kansas - not Kansas City.

Second, for every one of you who sees a "problem" there are at least a couple of dozen Kansans who see a big plus. The last thing they want is your "solution".

Public transportation is a necessary evil in Manhattan (NY). Kansans thank their lucky stars that they're nowhere near it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas