Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 09:25 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,927,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
If you've never been homeless, you really cannot imagine what it is actually like, especially for older people. It's not a picnic in the park by any stretch of the imagination.

I love living in Hawai'i, but I really would not want to be homeless here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAILANI View Post
You should definitely save up to buy a decent van to sleep in! You could hit the thrift stores for small cooking items and really have a nice set up. Plus chances are less for getting kicked out of the parks, you could park the van in different spots and be able to move around as you like!
You prob could sleep up in the hills for a change!
I've thought about it! ...

side note- me and hubby went to the Keys to spend a couple days for fun, had a GREAT evening in Key West. Well, I'm a cheapo, and didn't have $150 for a room so we brought a tent and camping gear and set up camp at a nice beach away from the community. Well, at 3am Police came by and kicked us out...stating druggies frequent that beach and we needed to go.....
We spent an hour sipping coffee in IHOP and fell asleep in my car waiting for the sun to rise... Worst nights sleep ever...... Homeless in the Keys, NOT recommended!!!!!

ALOHA!
No, I've never been homeless ... but I also worked with the homeless in Seattle for a time Also with homeless vets in a transition program ... (a [combat] disabled Vietnam veteran, myself) I am in my early-mid-60's ... retired now ... and while I have several acres of forested waterfront in Washington's San Juan Islands for a mainland homebase, I am a serious minimalist who lives part-time on boats and in a van along the Pacific west coast and in Hawaii ... my home base is a small (very small by most peoples' standards) rustic, hand-built (by me alone), solid timber cabin with a living roof. My boats are also minimalist, without even heads (bathrooms) ... my van is a mini-van. I am an expert at living in small spaces with few possessions -- and prefer it, love it outright

While I advocate minimalism, I don't advocate homelessness, nor encourage others to live as I do ... it works for me, but I don't assume that means it is right for others. I have a modest pension income and survive, supporting also a wife (disabled) and one of my adult sons who has been hit hard by the recession. (I had four children and their mother passed away after 27 years of marriage to me and while the kids were still in school -- I raised them up on my own.) Now I just wander, part-time, with my service dog as companion, and live in the woods on my island property with my new wife when not wandering.

All this just to say, if a person is stuck in tough circumstances, one can live nicely on very little -- and actually find as much, if not more, depth in life as if one had wealth and all the worry and work that goes with protecting it. In Hawaii, a person can only really live nicely as I describe on Oahu. The other islands do not offer any opportunity for anonymity from the law and others. If one were to try and park in different locations on Kauai, for instance, you would stick out like a sore thumb almost anywhere as a stranger ... and you'd not last long -- unless you were very clever and experienced at the art

Most places on the mainland have opportunities for "stealth van living" ... but you'll be rousted by the cops many places if you don't know how to pull it off. I am very clean and neat, and to all appearances would appear to you to be a middle-class resident wherever I appear. I am nearly invisible, by studied design.

Aloha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 03:09 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,725,443 times
Is this even a question??

Islands would be better.

It gets cold in DC. You do NOT want to be homeless in a place where it gets cold. Trust me.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:31 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,509,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
my home base is a small (very small by most peoples' standards) rustic, hand-built (by me alone), solid timber cabin with a living roof.
We are of very like minds, although the living roof is out for me because I collect rainwater from it for drinking.

Quote:
My boats are also minimalist, without even heads (bathrooms) ... my van is a mini-van. I am an expert at living in small spaces with few possessions -- and prefer it, love it outright
Have you seen the Nature's Head composting toilet? Made in Ohio, smaller and cheaper than anything else on the market ($850), hand operated, and certified Coast Guard Class III (zero discharge). I hate having to go elsewhere to do my bidness in the middle of the night, especially when it is raining.

Quote:
In Hawaii, a person can only really live nicely as I describe on Oahu. The other islands do not offer any opportunity for anonymity from the law and others. If one were to try and park in different locations on Kauai, for instance, you would stick out like a sore thumb almost anywhere as a stranger ... and you'd not last long -- unless you were very clever and experienced at the art
I'll underline this thought. I rented an Airstream trailer to put on my property temporarily when I first arrived, and the next morning the local Community Watch paid me a visit to see what was going on. I was lucky. They were nice about it.

As far as the homeless project I am working on, I've designed an inexpensive minimalist 160 sq ft "studio" housing unit out of a surplus 20' ISO shipping container, and I'm talking to the Governor's staff about trying to get a trial program going.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:22 AM

543 posts, read 3,080,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
It rains a lot on Kauai.

Panhandling is not common on Kauai or Maui, but you can get a day job or pick up cans & bottles for the redemption money.
What kind of day job?

Old 01-24-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Yup, the Hawaiian islands are 2,500 miles away from just about EVERYTHING else. When you get stuck here it is a serious sort of stuck. Should you be stuck in Washington DC you could always hitchhike or even if desperate walk to a different area if you had to. That is not an option on the islands. We are very remote and have very limited resources. 90% of just about EVERYTHING is shipped in. If the barges stop, then what? I've heard Oahu is about six meals away from starvation. If for some reason the barges quit showing up at the dock then the population of Oahu will be out of food within six meals.
Couldn't they forage tropical fruits to survive?

Old 01-24-2011, 11:37 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,043,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansoku View Post
Tropical fruits and nuts are normally always on someone's private property, so no it's not practical.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:40 AM

820 posts, read 3,039,940 times
Quote:
What kind of day job?
There used to be day jobs with construction - cleaning the site, resupplying the skilled workers. Or with rock wall builders, hauling bags of concrete and mixing. But much of that has stopped now. A lot of smaller shops have closed too. I take it back that day jobs are an option.

Quote:
The population of Oahu is over 905,000. There isn't enough fruit growing to supply that population, especially since there isn't as much "wild" area any more. The city development means pavement and lights, not trees.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Tropical fruits and nuts are normally always on someone's private property, so no it's not practical.
So even if you go deep into some forests it's all owned by someone?

Would they have you arrested if they found you foraging their fruit?

Old 01-24-2011, 12:38 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,509,770 times
Quote:
So even if you go deep into some forests it's all owned by someone? Would they have you arrested if they found you foraging their fruit?
Contrary to popular fantasy, there is not a lot of wild fruit in our remaining tropical forests. I'm sure a trained survivalist could make it, but the average citizen, no.

Most fruit grown on the islands is cultivated, and owners are getting more and more aggressive about prosecuting poachers because it has become a big problem for some of them.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:58 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,073,809 times
I am researching Hawaii because we are going for a visit next month, it's our first visit to Hawaii so we are pretty excited.

Anyway, we like to geocache, and there was one geocache we are thinking about doing that gave warning to watch for fisherman. Evidently the cache owner (who lives in this area on Hawaii) believes that there are some fisherman who live on the beaches where this cache is, and they are pretty protective of their area. This was in a northeastern part of the island. Sort of near Kulima?

As far as homelessness - Hawaii vs. DC... either place would have it's issues. You just have to decided which issues you could tolerate most. Personally, if I had no other choice than to be homeless, I'd go for a warmer climate because I cannot handle the cold.

Also - as far as DC homeless people being fat.... they've actually found that fat people are malnourished. They keep eating high-calorie nutrient poor foods so they gain weight yet never receive adequate nutrition. Pretty sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai