Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 06:45 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,496,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
As far as homelessness - Hawaii vs. DC... either place would have it's issues. You just have to decided which issues you could tolerate most. Personally, if I had no other choice than to be homeless, I'd go for a warmer climate because I cannot handle the cold.
I'd say the same thing. "Going where the weather suits my clothes" has always had personal significance. But it doesn't appear to be the biggest factor in where homeless people are. If that were so, there would be no homeless issue in Canada. Or in Alaska, for that matter. But there is.

Familiarity with the area, and the ability to "catch a living," are more important overall. The homeless in DC can get warm places to stay and warm food if they so choose, courtesy of social aid programs and charities.

But social aid programs and charities are relatively feeble in Hawai'i.

One other factor differs in Hawai'i. A relatively high proportion of them work. Just not enough to make it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 04:24 AM

41 posts, read 86,093 times
It depends in the personality. If you don't mind sweating to death and never having Internet then Hawai'i would be fine. Such as for the kind of homeless people that just sit around and do nothing all day anyway. If you want to make money and use the Internet and have A/C and stuff, then DC or any other location that's IN America and also not in the middle of nowhere. But if the people in Hawai'i are good to homeless people and are likely to actually take take then home or include then so much that they can live like normal people who are never "homeless" because a house is not required, then Hawai'i would of course be better if they also don't need the technology. You will have to ask each human being individually. It also depends on whether they have a boyfriend who isn't with them or not.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:32 AM

41 posts, read 86,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
It rains a lot on Kauai.

Panhandling is not common on Kauai or Maui, but you can get a day job or pick up cans & bottles for the redemption money. I think they started issuing checks for that now, which might be a problem if you don't have a bank account to cash it.

Gosh, this is tough, because I personally don't want to encourage someone who is homeless, and intends to stay that way, to move to the islands. What would you be contributing to a community that is struggling already?
Well I am not sire why you are asking such a question since you obviously do not contribute to any community yourself. You obviously:
-have a job where you are working for a corporation for the purposes of fake money r and spend most of your day every day doing things to get yourself that fake money rather then actually contributing to a community
-you think homeless people "shouldn't be allowed on" "your" island and want to keep them "far away from yourself"
- you dont know what the word "contribute" or "community" mean
-you apparently don't even know how to build a community or else you would hope for many homeless people who are similar to this one (for example, knowing how to type, speaking English, etc.) to come you your island since they know about building communities and will also actually NEED to in order to survive so they will definitely build one if they are many and if you're government does not oppression, arrest, and tytannize them
-you do not care about other people and are literally doing the exact opposite of community by this post.

So, therefore, by your own logic, please leave Hawai'i immediately and also find your own inhabited island so you don't "bother" anybody, since you are not contributing to the community.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:48 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,780,143 times
You DO understand that you're responding to a six-year old thread??

Old 06-14-2015, 09:43 PM

681 posts, read 1,210,536 times
And that Hawaii IS "IN America."

Old 06-16-2015, 06:11 PM

14 posts, read 25,322 times
So, I'm assuming that most of the homeless in Kauai are people who have either been there for years, or moved over without realistically planning for what all they needed to financially consider and got stuck, rather than people who are already homeless on the mainland who panhandled for enough money for a plane ticket to actually just relocate their homeless situation to a warmer, tropical island?

If there are actually homeless people on the mainland who simply relocate to Kauai, wow...pretty ironic when you've got people who work and save all their lives to relocate over there the "right" way, versus someone who just relocates their homeless plight over there to add to the island's homeless problem...

Old 06-22-2015, 02:04 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,139,123 times
one benefit about being homeless in Washington DC is the direct access it offers to the Federal Gov't and the ability to personally meet the decision makers that can imnprove your homeless situation.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:29 PM

10,116 posts, read 19,444,159 times
We saw a homeless guy on Maui. He was living in a make shift dwelling near the beach, and sold fruits, snacks, etc. My daughter cried when she saw his "house". She asked where does he go potty, and what does he do when it rains?

Old 07-21-2015, 06:11 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,042,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
one benefit about being homeless in Washington DC is the direct access it offers to the Federal Gov't and the ability to personally meet the decision makers that can imnprove your homeless situation.
This post is comedy gold. Obviously, you've never visited DC

Old 07-24-2015, 11:15 PM

210 posts, read 251,287 times
Harry Reid will have you beaten up if you approach him-i can imagine. john boehner will tell you to get out of his way-you blocking the sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai