Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 02:59 PM

454 posts, read 1,407,589 times

Advertisements

People keep mentioning the weather....
should i make sure the weather in poipu is good before touring that day or should i check the weather up north?
cause i'm sure that the heli pilot is going to say "look, no clouds, weather is good!" (to make a sale) and then we go for 10 minutes and it's foggy and rainy and dangerous.

am i over thinking this? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 04:22 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post
should i make sure the weather in poipu is good before touring that day or should i check the weather up north?
cause i'm sure that the heli pilot is going to say "look, no clouds, weather is good!" (to make a sale) and then we go for 10 minutes and it's foggy and rainy and dangerous.

It is very difficult to check weather all over Kauai because their are 2 primary weather monitoring stations, 1 in Lihue at the airport and the other at the navy base on the west side (Barking Sands). So even if you punch in Kalaheo, Kapaa and such you still get the primary stations weather.

I'm not sure how to approach the tour company other than to say you don't want to fly unless the visibility is good and conditions are safe. I would ask about their cancelation policy and should think that they would be reasonable.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:47 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post

Yes, you are overthinking it.
However, it is the rainy season and it is Kauai. Weather can and will change rapidly. That being said, rain doesn't endanger you on a helicopter. It may ruin your views, but doesn't endanger you.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:45 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Yes, you are overthinking it.
However, it is the rainy season and it is Kauai. Weather can and will change rapidly. That being said, rain doesn't endanger you on a helicopter. It may ruin your views, but doesn't endanger you.

I worked in Army helicopter aviation for 30 years and weather most definitely will endanger you. Of the helo accidents in Hawaii weather and pilot error were the causes of many.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:49 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
But it usually isn't windy/stormy like it probably was in your varied career. Rain isn't the issue. Storms and pilot error would be.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:16 AM

432 posts, read 1,202,834 times
Completely incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
I worked in Army helicopter aviation for 30 years and weather most definitely will endanger you. Of the helo accidents in Hawaii weather and pilot error were the causes of many.
Indeed. Most of us who are pilots know these things first-hand.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:00 PM

312 posts, read 1,374,350 times
my suggestion for a copter ride on kaua'i would be Inter-Island Helicopters, my personal favorite. they have a variety of different tours to choose from, from short to long to extra long. http://www.interislandhelicopters.com/about.htm
my favorite is of course the Waterfall Adventure Tour. You fly around the entire island, focusing on Waimea Canyon and Na Pali, and get to land and eat lunch/swim at a secluded waterfall that you can only get to by copter. we had a great tour guide and i have never been on a better tour.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:10 PM

432 posts, read 1,202,834 times
I'd probably pass on that company:

Kauai Helicopter Tour Safety in Question Following Two Crashes and NTSB Report

Another: Hawaii Helicopter - Crashes I Accidents I Safety Records - Kauai
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai