Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 10:16 AM

72 posts, read 346,732 times

Advertisements

Hi! I have been mostly lurking on this board for 3 years and planning a move to Hawaii. I think I have read every single thread posted here trying to prepare. It looks like we are going to move to Kauai which is where we were married. We have visited the island many times and I don't have on "rose colored glasses" about living in paradise. I do love it there and every time the plane lands I feel like I want to cry because I am "home".

Anyway, here are my questions...how much is it to get your car licensed and registered in Kauai if your car is a 2008 Honda CRV? I know it goes by weight but I guess I am looking for an approximate guess. I can't seem to find that anywhere online. I also found a website called Aloha Vehicle Registration Online they claim to be able to get your car registered and licensed before you move but I did not find them listed with the BBB. I am not sure if it is legit or not.

My other problem I have to figure out is the logistics of getting 3 dogs and 3 cats here. If I fly them United out of LAX-LIH they go in the cargo hold and the direct release in Kauai is a bit over $400 per animal. If I fly them on Pacific Air Cargo they go to HNL not in the cargo hold but inside the aircraft and direct release is about $130-150. The problem is then getting them to Kauai. I live in Phoenix so I guess my husband will have to drive them to Lax and I will wait for them in HNL or LIH. I may have to ship them 2 at a time.
Anyone have any suggestions on this?

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback and mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 10:30 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flygrl View Post
Hi! I have been mostly lurking on this board for 3 years and planning a move to Hawaii. I think I have read every single thread posted here trying to prepare. It looks like we are going to move to Kauai which is where we were married. We have visited the island many times and I don't have on "rose colored glasses" about living in paradise. I do love it there and every time the plane lands I feel like I want to cry because I am "home".

Anyway, here are my questions...how much is it to get your car licensed and registered in Kauai if your car is a 2008 Honda CRV? I know it goes by weight but I guess I am looking for an approximate guess. I can't seem to find that anywhere online. I also found a website called Aloha Vehicle Registration Online they claim to be able to get your car registered and licensed before you move but I did not find them listed with the BBB. I am not sure if it is legit or not.

My other problem I have to figure out is the logistics of getting 3 dogs and 3 cats here. If I fly them United out of LAX-LIH they go in the cargo hold and the direct release in Kauai is a bit over $400 per animal. If I fly them on Pacific Air Cargo they go to HNL not in the cargo hold but inside the aircraft and direct release is about $130-150. The problem is then getting them to Kauai. I live in Phoenix so I guess my husband will have to drive them to Lax and I will wait for them in HNL or LIH. I may have to ship them 2 at a time.
Anyone have any suggestions on this?

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback and mahalo!
There is no hurry to license your vehicle once it's arrives on Kauai. Like most states you can drive it around for 30-90 days before you change registration (I did for 90 days). Then just go to the county building and switch your driver's license and registration at the same time. You will have to take a written test.

My wife is a vet and shipped 6 cats and 3 dogs from the east coast without any problems. I think it's harder on the owner than the animals some time.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:41 AM

292 posts, read 948,780 times
I was told Aloha Airlines flies cargo to all islands. They were/are my plan for getting my dogs from HNL to Lihue.
And I better start working on it bc United will only take a max 150 lb crate and dog combined. That quite literally "won't fly" for me..... PS I have 2 Great Danes and a Weimaraner..

Last edited by tortoise31; 12-15-2009 at 10:51 AM..

Old 12-15-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise31 View Post
I was told Aloha Airlines flies cargo to all islands. They were/are my plan for getting my dogs from HNL to Lihue.
And I better start working on it bc United will only take a max 150 lb crate and dog combined. That quite literally "won't fly" for me..... PS I have 2 Great Danes and a Weimaraner..
Hey Tortoise, Sounds like you need an air service that transports small horses and ponies, lol.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:01 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
You have to get a safety inspection within 30 days. With out of state plates, your vehicle will "fail" the safety as you do not have current Hawaii plates/registration. To get around that, you have to go to the DMV office, fill out a form and pay (I think $5) to be allowed to keep your current plates until they expire.

You then take that approved form over to the safety check place and get your safety sticker.

If you are going to live there, you may as well just go the correct route. It may vary slightly by county (island) by here is how it works, in order:

Get a safety inspection - it will fail due to registration.

Go over to the DMV/Tax office and get the vehicle registration - they will register the vehicle only if you have the safety check paper with you.

Take the registration paperwork back to the safety check place where they will then give you your safety sticker.

Your 08 CR-V should cost around $85 for the registration It is based upon weight. I cannot tell you an exact amount because they do not list the chart anywhere. It seems to be a magical formula and you may even be asked to take your vehicle to an official scale to be weighed (and then of course, come back again).

Figure around $120 total for safety inspection, plates and registration, etc.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:02 PM

292 posts, read 948,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Hey Tortoise, Sounds like you need an air service that transports small horses and ponies, lol.

Tell me about it!!!!!

Old 12-16-2009, 01:17 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies! I am having a nervous breakdown trying to plan all of this. Balad1, did your wife ship all the animals at the same time? And I thought Aloha Airlines went out of business or is it a cargo airline? Thanks again for the replies!

Old 12-16-2009, 01:31 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
Aloha Airlines (passenger service) is out of business, but Aloha Air Cargo is still in business. Aloha Air cargo is an inter-island cargo air service.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flygrl View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies! I am having a nervous breakdown trying to plan all of this. Balad1, did your wife ship all the animals at the same time? And I thought Aloha Airlines went out of business or is it a cargo airline? Thanks again for the replies!
No she shipped them a couple at a time; including (I forgot) a frigg'n noisy parrot...

Old 12-17-2009, 07:26 AM

Thanks again!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai