Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 12:58 PM

25 posts, read 40,117 times

Advertisements

Thank you guys, Now I have a list of places to choose from. Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 09:49 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
If you want your drink of whiskey, then you should check out around Trigg, Calloway, Lyon, and Caldwell counties in western Kentucky. Those are the counties that are close to the Kentucky/Barkley Lakes area that have legal alcohol sales. Quite a few other counties are "wet". Might check around Lamasco, south of Eddyville. No hardware store or place to eat, but you'll be about 15 minutes from Eddyville, where you'll find your hardware store (or two) and good places to eat. For your place to get a little something to "wet your whistle" while you eat, there's a nice restaurant down by I-24, about a mile from Eddyville or in Princeton. There's also an area of Trigg County, on Ky. 274, known as Handy Corner. It's a couple miles from Prizer Point but I worked in this area with the 2010 Census and have seen quite a few places in this area. Cadiz is a little bigger than your 500 population, at 2600 in 2013 but it's a nice little town with a good hardware store and several nice restaurants.
On the west side of the lakes you might check out the Gilbertsville area, near Kentucky Dam Village State Resort Park. Speaking of Ky. Dam Village, if you're coming to check things out before April 16, you can rent a 1 or 2 BR and 1 bath for $49.95/night. http://parks.ky.gov/parks/resortpark...e/default.aspx (See the special just under the picture) Calvert City, just a few miles down the road, voted in alcohol by the drink in restaurants several years ago and are working on annexing around the park so you can have a drink in the dining room at the lodge.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:26 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
Kam, I forgot about a place about 5 miles west of Ky. Dam you might enjoy, the Kentucky Opry. I have a friend who goes there, and performs there often and said there's a lot of "pickin' and grinnin'".
Kentucky Opry

Old 02-27-2015, 10:17 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Kam, I forgot about a place about 5 miles west of Ky. Dam you might enjoy, the Kentucky Opry. I have a friend who goes there, and performs there often and said there's a lot of "pickin' and grinnin'".
Kentucky Opry
I play Fiddle and Mandolin and I've also heard that this is a good place to go....

Old 03-02-2015, 01:35 PM

581 posts, read 920,931 times
Look up Cadiz and Kuttawa.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:42 AM

Yeah Cadiz is a nice little town and over by Kuttawa and Grand Rivers they have a big flea market that's well known I think? Kygman can clarify that..

Cadiz has a few festivals also that attract alot of folks

I think this is Cadiz right here...I haven't been there in yeeeaaaaaaarrrrsssss!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCY6G4WnGWA

Old 03-03-2015, 09:30 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,881,667 times
Well, I could say come on down to South Eastern Kentucky but, if I did, a hand full of people would come out of the wood work like termites with hundreds of reasons not to, so, I won't. But, If I did, I'm sure you would find exactly what you are looking for.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:48 AM

409 posts, read 872,735 times
Another place that popped into my mind is Mount Vernon. The population is more than you're looking for (about 2500) but there's a lake there, lots of woodland near by and it is the site of Renfro Valley which will most probably have banjo picking.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renfro_Valley,_Kentucky
http://www.renfrovalley.com/

Old 03-03-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post
Well, I could say come on down to South Eastern Kentucky but, if I did, a hand full of people would come out of the wood work like termites with hundreds of reasons not to, so, I won't. But, If I did, I'm sure you would find exactly what you are looking for.

I'd say check out eastern Kentucky too without a doubt. Know any good fishin, campin spots over there hogs? Renfro Valley has a really famous music theatre as well with country, bluegrass and old time fiddle music if you like that. Osborne Brothers used to be regulars over there as did Larry Sparks and Ralph Stanley...

Old 03-04-2015, 01:35 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsrus View Post

LOL Exactly why I didn't post about Pikeville. I seem to draw the trolls when I do..So we will just continue to grow and build and add jobs and tourist activities and post thenm to all our friends on FB instead.

SHHH, no one outside of Eastern Ky. seems knows about the zip lines, carriage rides, muscle car weekends, the Distillery. etc, etc being built as part of the Bourbon trail, etc, etc.

Almost forgot Hillbilly days next month (We help the Shriners raise money for their Children's Hospitals) WOW talk about all the filddlin' and banjo pickin!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky