Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2015, 09:26 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times

Advertisements

I have a plan to semi retire to Bardstown in 6 years when I can begin to collect social security. I fell in love with Bardstown several years ago during a short visit and love Kentucky in general. I love the people, geography, low crime, open spaces and good old fashioned hospitality combined with the small town atmosphere I found when visiting. If I could move tomorrow, I would.
I work for Lowes and hope to transfer there to a part time position at that time. My concern is that housing prices in Bardstown will become much less affordable in the next 6 years due to it's growing popularity and limited housing. I wish to purchase just a small simple house or cottage, 1 or 2 bedrooms as close to town center as possible with maybe about $40,000 down resulting in a very low monthly mortgage.
My question is, if Bardstown becomes unaffordable for me due to it's growing popularity, can anyone suggest another small town similar to Bardstown in Kentucky that has a Lowes which I can transfer to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 02:15 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,106,589 times
Generally small town life is always much less expensive than city life, so you should be okay. But that being said there are tons of cute little friendly towns in Kentucky, so take your pick!

Old 07-24-2015, 04:36 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,569 times
Does Lebanon or Springfield Ky have a Lowes?

Old 07-25-2015, 10:44 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,106,589 times
Lowes are often located in small towns...have you ever noticed there is usually a Lowe's sitting next to or opposite of Walmart supercenters often?

Lets see, I just checked the Lowe's site and it seems that these smaller towns or rural areas have a Lowe's...London, Sheperdsville, Campbellsville, Maysville,Florence, Somerset, Moorehead, Bardstown, Shelbyville, Mt. Sterling, Danville,
Richmond, Frankfort,Winchester, Georgetown and Nicholasville.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:27 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Thank you for the information. I noticed another town you haven't mentioned is Mayfield. Mayfield also looks like it's quite livable as well, with lower housing costs than Bardstown which allows me to get a nicer house for less money in case Bardstown doesn't work for me.
I watched a video made with the mayor of Mayfield and it looks like they are trying very hard to revitalize their community and downtown area. One thing that I admire about Kentucky is most people take pride in their heritage and communities which is sorely lacking where I live now. I did notice the crime rate is a little higher in Mayfield but it's still very low compared to here. I'm planning a road trip through Kentucky hopefully in the fall and check out a few towns which will include Madisonville, Mayfield and Glasgow.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:02 PM

536 posts, read 961,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Thank you for the information. I noticed another town you haven't mentioned is Mayfield. Mayfield also looks like it's quite livable as well, with lower housing costs than Bardstown which allows me to get a nicer house for less money in case Bardstown doesn't work for me.
I watched a video made with the mayor of Mayfield and it looks like they are trying very hard to revitalize their community and downtown area. One thing that I admire about Kentucky is most people take pride in their heritage and communities which is sorely lacking where I live now. I did notice the crime rate is a little higher in Mayfield but it's still very low compared to here. I'm planning a road trip through Kentucky hopefully in the fall and check out a few towns which will include Madisonville, Mayfield and Glasgow.

I love Mayfield. KYGMAN will chime in on that one I am sure. We have that targeted as a place to retire in a few years. Nice area, and rural. Really enjoyed our visit out there. My husband calls it Mayberry, and talks about moving there.

The crime rate in Murray is higher than Mayfield. Mayfield seems to be a very safe town to live in.

I've been watching listings on Realtor.com and it's very affordable in that western corner of KY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky