Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 09:38 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post

Kentucky is not midwestern at all. It is a Southern state of Southern people and Southern traditions, manners, and sentiments. It isn't in the midwest, and has no particular midwestern sensibilities or traditions.
You mean such midwestern sensibilities as being hard working and enterprising?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 10:07 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,055,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You mean such midwestern sensibilities as being hard working and enterprising?
I'm going to assume that you are asking this in sincerity and answer you respectfully.

In the sense that all of the United States has this characteristic, then yes. In the particularly Midwestern sense of it, no. If you have ever gone to an actual Midwestern locale and lived there as a Kentucky transplant, you quickly learn the difference; however, it is difficult to quantify in a few short words.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:01 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
I'm going to assume that you are asking this in sincerity and answer you respectfully.

In the sense that all of the United States has this characteristic, then yes. In the particularly Midwestern sense of it, no. If you have ever gone to an actual Midwestern locale and lived there as a Kentucky transplant, you quickly learn the difference; however, it is difficult to quantify in a few short words.

Well I'd thought better of my flippant remark and was gonna delete it, now I reckon I'm stuck. I offer my apologies.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:38 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I love love love RC! It's even better with a moon pie too
I saw a man wearing this when my grandmother was in the hospital:

http://www.nancyshomemadefudge.com/Retail%20Catalogue/its-a-southern-thing-back.jpg (broken link)

I thought it was darling!

Old 07-24-2008, 06:40 PM

200 posts, read 807,067 times
summed up kentucky isnt as southern as tennessee but isnt as midwestern as ohio. its kinda a transitional state its hard to explain its something you have to experience.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:47 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,427,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I saw a man wearing this when my grandmother was in the hospital:

http://www.nancyshomemadefudge.com/Retail%20Catalogue/its-a-southern-thing-back.jpg (broken link)

I thought it was darling!

I have that t-shirt and I have RC and MoonPies in the fridge.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:53 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
I have that t-shirt and I have RC and MoonPies in the fridge.
Good man!

Old 09-24-2008, 07:43 PM

5 posts, read 14,833 times
Default proud to be southern!

yah know what this really gets on my last nerve I was born and raisd in louisvill,ky in valley station and how in the world do you think kentucky is anything but southern and as for the acent people in the city dont have much or at all a southern draw as people in the country same as anywere els in the south but as for me I will wear my boots wear! my rebel flag shirts and belt buckel and be proud of who I am a "southerner".Oh and as for me my accent mine has never been mistakin for northern anywere i have gone down here.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:45 PM

6 posts, read 21,692 times
Default Is Kentucky the south or the midwest

By all offical means Kentucky is the south. The split is the Ohio River so no part of MO, IL, or IN are in the south they are the midwest. The weather channel is not always close when they do there stuff. But I work for an agency that when I lived in Kentucky had to do all official documents and Kentucky is a southern state.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:19 PM

185 posts, read 404,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrebel502 View Post
yah know what this really gets on my last nerve I was born and raisd in louisvill,ky in valley station and how in the world do you think kentucky is anything but southern
Speak with some of the people that live in the Highlands, or Indian Hills.<wink>

I guess "Southern" is relative... even in Ky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky