Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2008, 06:00 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,053,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Really, is this sold anywhere? Haven't seen it in years.
Yes, it's even sold in Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 07:42 PM

137 posts, read 448,270 times
Default NKY is most certainly southern....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
KY is clearly south, except for parts of jefferson and oldham and cincy suburbs in NKY.
While I respect your opinion concerning whether or not Northern Kentucky is southern, I can tell you that it is most certainly is. I live here and I can tell you NKY is southern socially and culturally. The fact that NKY is southern is something we are really proud of here!!! Blessings, Kentuckyguy

Old 06-21-2008, 08:01 PM

137 posts, read 448,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OboroCatfan View Post
And as far as who won the Civil War - I believe people are now wishing the South had won because of the way Washington (in the North) has screwed things up so badly for this nation. I think people from the south would have taken better care of the nation instead of those carperbaggers in Washington. The people of the South take pride in their land and their heritage. Unfortunately some parts of the South are being taken over by invaders from the north retiring and trying to find some peace and tranquility that they cant find in the North so they come to the South where the living is easy and slow.
With all due respect I think the things you said here is very inappropriate and downright rude concering Northerns. Who are you to judge people, some of whom you have never met?!? While Washington has screwed up things, may I remind you that our president is from the South! Many Americans blame him for our economy, etc. I for one support the president, but that is beside the point.

Also, concerning the South winning the war? Do you realize that if the South did win the war we would still have slavery! With that said, it is a good thing the South did not win the war! To be honest with you, I am a southern and I even think you are out of line in what you have said here. And as far as invaders from the North, Northerns are allowed to go wherever and live wherever they want. Speaking of invaders, are not Northerns and Southerrns both the actual invaders seeing we took all land from the Indians that were here first!

We are all Americans living in this country and it is about time we started treating each other with more respect than this! As a southern to a southern you are destroying what we southerner's pride ourselves on like good manners, being polite, being friendly etc.

Last edited by Kentuckyguy; 06-21-2008 at 08:27 PM..

Old 06-21-2008, 08:11 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,458 times
I think if the question is being asked over and over again, that says something. Thus I will not comment on if KY is Midwestern or Southern. However to comment on the original question perhaps you are questioning geography or a cultural context? You would have to split the two and you would perhaps get a better answer. Good luck!

Old 06-26-2008, 11:38 AM

631 posts, read 1,885,662 times
I haven't read the other post yet but I would have to say that I always considered myself a southerner. My in-laws are born and bred northerners and they act like I am froma different planet. Hubby has joked that people should need a passport to travel to my homestate (KY) because its like entering a different countyr all together

Old 07-06-2008, 07:09 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,075,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
KY is clearly south, except for parts of jefferson and oldham and cincy suburbs in NKY.
Just out of curiosity what about the Fern creek area? I met a woman who grew up there yesterday and I could have sworn she was from Ohio or Pennsylvania. Even my husband thought she was from somewhere up north.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:55 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Just out of curiosity what about the Fern creek area? I met a woman who grew up there yesterday and I could have sworn she was from Ohio or Pennsylvania. Even my husband thought she was from somewhere up north.
I think the maps showed Fern Creek & J-town as being in between. They both have larger native KY and German populations

Old 07-06-2008, 10:04 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,075,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I think the maps showed Fern Creek & J-town as being in between. They both have larger native KY and German populations
When she told me she had named a dog Kuchen and said it was German for something (I don't remember what) I had a feeling she was a bit German herself Very nice lady just not very, well, Kentucky.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:49 AM

200 posts, read 806,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
I have never understood what people were trying to learn about each other, when they asked each other about "soda" and "pop".

That map helps me understand a lot better; apparently the terms vary by huge geographical region. Now, around here growing up, if we didn't say soft drink, we'd say coke. Soda and pop aren't really part of the landscape in Kentucky, and that map bears it out. But so many people move around from all over, so the terms blend and spread.

Pass the Ale-8!

um....Pop is very popular here in eastern kentucky acctually..... thats what we call it here.......Pop. not coke, not soda. pop.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:31 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,053,345 times
I guess people ask each other that question because it is so much fun to argue about it.

Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky