Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2008, 07:03 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,089,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
KY is clearly south, except for parts of jefferson and oldham and cincy suburbs in NKY.
I think that east of 65 in Louisville is a bit of a line. As far as NKY, I really don't know.

I do have to admit my view that alot of east enders are rude has changed. I ran into several very friendly people at different places around Brownsboro road and at Tom Sawyer (my step MIL lives out there) and was pleasantly suprised! I also got a wicker love seat for my front porch for $9 at the Goodwill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 04:20 PM

7 posts, read 29,789 times
As far as Kentucky being southern or midwestern state - first off we are not a "state", we are the Commonwealth of Kentucky. And as far as this person goes, Kentucky is part of the south (hence the SOUTHeastern Conference) while Louisville and northern Kentucky are part of New York City for all I care. LOL

First off people in this area dont ask for Coke or Pepsi or for a pop or soda. We ask for a RC (Royal Crown cola). Coke and Pepsi cant hold a candle to an ice cold RC.

Then there is the deal with grits. In the really deep South when one orders breakfast grits are always included. Kind of like hash browns in the north. Around here you still have to ask for them. I travel over to Indiana occasionally and stop at this one restaurant and the first time I asked for grits which was on the menu they asked me if instant grits was okay. I told them that its not real grits and they should take it off the menu. If I cant have the real thing then I dont want it. At least Cracker Barrel makes them the right way.

We are also home to red-eye gravy made from country ham. My dad use to make some of the best grits and red-eye gravy.

Owensboro is predominantly associated with Scottish heritage, hence our love of mutton (sheep). Not many other places bbq mutton so as far as I can tell Owensboro is the BBQ Mutton and Burgoo captial of the world. Go a little ways outside of this area and people have no idea what burgoo is. I have a friend from Dayton OH who goes to Canada fishing with me and I brought some burgoo this year with me and he is hooked on it. Loves it and now orders it on-line from Moonlite.

And as far as who won the Civil War - I believe people are now wishing the South had won because of the way Washington (in the North) has screwed things up so badly for this nation. I think people from the south would have taken better care of the nation instead of those carperbaggers in Washington. The people of the South take pride in their land and their heritage. Unfortunately some parts of the South are being taken over by invaders from the north retiring and trying to find some peace and tranquility that they cant find in the North so they come to the South where the living is easy and slow.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OboroCatfan View Post
As far as Kentucky being southern or midwestern state - first off we are not a "state", we are the Commonwealth of Kentucky. And as far as this person goes, Kentucky is part of the south (hence the SOUTHeastern Conference) while Louisville and northern Kentucky are part of New York City for all I care. LOL

First off people in this area dont ask for Coke or Pepsi or for a pop or soda. We ask for a RC (Royal Crown cola). Coke and Pepsi cant hold a candle to an ice cold RC.

Then there is the deal with grits. In the really deep South when one orders breakfast grits are always included. Kind of like hash browns in the north. Around here you still have to ask for them. I travel over to Indiana occasionally and stop at this one restaurant and the first time I asked for grits which was on the menu they asked me if instant grits was okay. I told them that its not real grits and they should take it off the menu. If I cant have the real thing then I dont want it. At least Cracker Barrel makes them the right way.

We are also home to red-eye gravy made from country ham. My dad use to make some of the best grits and red-eye gravy.

Owensboro is predominantly associated with Scottish heritage, hence our love of mutton (sheep). Not many other places bbq mutton so as far as I can tell Owensboro is the BBQ Mutton and Burgoo captial of the world. Go a little ways outside of this area and people have no idea what burgoo is. I have a friend from Dayton OH who goes to Canada fishing with me and I brought some burgoo this year with me and he is hooked on it. Loves it and now orders it on-line from Moonlite.

And as far as who won the Civil War - I believe people are now wishing the South had won because of the way Washington (in the North) has screwed things up so badly for this nation. I think people from the south would have taken better care of the nation instead of those carperbaggers in Washington. The people of the South take pride in their land and their heritage. Unfortunately some parts of the South are being taken over by invaders from the north retiring and trying to find some peace and tranquility that they cant find in the North so they come to the South where the living is easy and slow.
I love love love RC! It's even better with a moon pie too

Old 06-20-2008, 05:37 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,575,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I love love love RC! It's even better with a moon pie too
I forgot about RC. It's similiar to Pepsi right?

Old 06-20-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
I forgot about RC. It's similiar to Pepsi right?
NOOOO Baby!! It's MUCH better than Pepsi

Old 06-20-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
NOOOO Baby!! It's MUCH better than Pepsi
Really, is this sold anywhere? Haven't seen it in years.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Really, is this sold anywhere? Haven't seen it in years.
You can get it anywhere here.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
You can get it anywhere here.
LOL then I guess I can get it anywhere here too. When I go get pop I get my Pepsi and run. Don't pay much attention to all the other pops.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:57 PM

My husband is a Pepsi fan too lol

Old 06-20-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
My husband is a Pepsi fan too lol
He's very smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky