Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 05:38 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times

Advertisements

There is a station in Paducah (being reported by WPSD) selling gas for $4.59/gallon. Everywhere else in Paducah it's in the $3.70/gallon area. I guess no one see's a problem with that and they are overpaying to the jacked up station. Nah...there not making a profit off gas.

Of course, if people didn't run out and fill up everytime a storm or ripple in the market occured, they might not raise prices as much. They know the general public is so stupid, they will pay it. So run out and overpay for your gas and panic. It does no good, but hey...you are expected to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 10:28 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
The ones I feel sorry for here is the clerks. I was at the Ideal Mkt. in Cadiz the other day when they got the phone call from the main office to raise gas 10 cents/gallon. This was before Ike. First man to come in to pay after the price jump started jumping all over the clerk. Like she did it on purpose. Another man walked up and told him to apologize to the clerk because it wasn't her fault, then pay for the gas and get his ass out the door (excuse my French!) the man threw his money down, mumbled something and went out the door.

What is strange is that a good friend of mine plays golf with the Regional boss over one of the gas/convenience market chains. he said it's stupid to do that to gas here because a lot of ours comes from the north! Not the gulf!

Old 09-12-2008, 12:48 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times
As I may have posted before, I use my car for work, so I spend alot of money on gasoline. Well this morning rolls around and I of course need to fill up for work. Go to the first station, they are out of regular and have premium only. Drive to the second station, they are lined-up to the street and didn't have time to wait. Go to the third station and they are out of all three grades of fuel!!! I ended up going back to the first station and getting enough rip-off premium to get me through the day. I ended up being late for work because all the soccer moms had to fill-up their Suburban's so they can take that crucial trip to the mall this weekend. There has been so much price gouging, that Gov. Stevie has signed an executive order to prevent price gouging. Here is the best quote from the story:

"Not one drop of the gas that's being sold there now came from Houston today or yesterday,"

I guess they didn't take into account the mindless robot citizens around here, which makes price gouging so easy. Folks, this is NOT happening in all parts of the country. Smarten up!!!

News-Talk Radio AM 570 WKYX, Paducah, KY - AM 1320 WNGO, Mayfield, KY (http://www.wkyx.com/local-news-details.asp?NewsID=7537 - broken link)

Old 09-12-2008, 02:42 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
And you kow another bad thing about having to wait in line for gas? I drive a Geo Tracker. The problem with it is the gas tank is on the passenger side! Most of the cars lined up for the pumps have their tank on the driver side! One man was nice enough to let me back in to fill up!

Old 09-12-2008, 09:45 PM

730 posts, read 1,918,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post

I guess they didn't take into account the mindless robot citizens around here, which makes price gouging so easy. Folks, this is NOT happening in all parts of the country. Smarten up!!!

News-Talk Radio AM 570 WKYX, Paducah, KY - AM 1320 WNGO, Mayfield, KY (http://www.wkyx.com/local-news-details.asp?NewsID=7537 - broken link)
No change in the price of gas here in my area of California.

Which counts as a genuine miracle all by itself.

Mind you not only do we typically have higher gas prices, but we have more places to drive to, which means we sue even more gas.

Just too many things to do here, and then of course there is the beach....

Old 09-12-2008, 10:36 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,055,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Folks, this is NOT happening in all parts of the country.
Kentuckydad is right.... we haven't had any upturn in California. I was looking for it after reading what y'all are paying, but the prices have remained constant. I guess the oil companies missed a chance there...

Old 09-12-2008, 10:49 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,573,434 times
Prices vary from $3.89 up to $4.49 around town.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:17 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,427,295 times
If you see gouging here in KY you need to report it to the Attorney General's office, Little Stevie declared a state of emergency to put into effect a law that makes it a crime to gouge.

KY Governor Beshear Takes Action Against Gas Gouging - NewsChannel 6 WPSD (http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=f4a155bf-7fb2-4880-a674-9b3148dd8d80 - broken link)

Old 09-13-2008, 08:23 PM

666 posts, read 2,537,926 times
ok so gas is about 4.15 around me, and i talked to a relative in columbus, ohio and gas actually went down in the past 2 days, to 3.32. WTF?

Old 09-14-2008, 10:39 PM

730 posts, read 1,918,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawg View Post
ok so gas is about 4.15 around me, and i talked to a relative in columbus, ohio and gas actually went down in the past 2 days, to 3.32. WTF?
Turn them in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky