Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 10:46 AM

14 posts, read 41,855 times

Advertisements

By far, I think the MOST OVERRATED city in Kentucky is Bowling Green. Yes, I do like the diverse cultures and the college-town atmosphere.

But:
1. Without Western it would be dead
2. I can not manage its growth
3. The city is layed out in a very haphazard way and is hard for many people to get around in
4. Offers very little besides cookie-cutter, big-box, suburban type development

I think Owensboro is the MOST UNDERRATED city in Kentucky. I know it's not growing very fast, suffers from isolation, and is hardly exciting. And, yes it does have the big-box development too.

However:
1. It has a much more managed feel than many cities in the state (i.e. laid out in a grid with a helpful expressway)
2. Has a major riverfront development project in the works that will greatly improve the downtown area
3. It is the commercial hub of Western Kentucky
4. Is 30 minutes away from the much larger city of Evansville
5. It will benefit from I-69 when it is completed
6. The OPS and DCPS are two of the best school systems in Kentucky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 11:05 AM

145 posts, read 518,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkr785 View Post
By far, I think the MOST OVERRATED city in Kentucky is Bowling Green. Yes, I do like the diverse cultures and the college-town atmosphere.

But:
3. The city is layed out in a very haphazard way and is hard for many people to get around in

I think Owensboro is the MOST UNDERRATED city in Kentucky. I know it's not growing very fast, suffers from isolation, and is hardly exciting. And, yes it does have the big-box development too.

However:
1. It has a much more managed feel than many cities in the state (i.e. laid out in a grid with a helpful expressway)
2. Has a major riverfront development project in the works that will greatly improve the downtown area
I hope this was a joke. Owensboro as an underrated city has to be a joke. That city is slowly declining and has so for years. As far as the big riverfront development I will believe it when I see it. The people hate change there and just recently voted down a major development with a mall, movie theater etc. It looks run down...the executive inn is a mess and closed not to mention that weird sphere building that is abandoned and is an eyesore. I think it used to be a hotel as well. It is an industrial town and has factories and industry basically in downtown and all over the place. If being 30 minutes away from Evansville is something to brag about then you have made my point for me. (more like 45 minutes). The schools I won't argue with they are good but when the kids grow up and leave for college not many want to return after. My wife went to UK and she nor her friends have any desire to return. There is nothing to do. No sports teams to follow other than high school and you may as well live in Siberia because it is in the middle of nowhere. The people of the city are very proud of it and very kind people but it is one of the last places in the state minus eastern kentucky that I would want to live. Maybe it will change but its location hurts it and with no real airport service not many buisnesses are going to bring their companies their just to drive to louisville or nashville to catch a flight. To each their own but the E is a great example of what is going on with the city. At one time it was wonderful and vibrant but it slowly declined and failed to update and upgrade just like the city. The E is closed and the town is stagnant. So I would vote most overrated is Owensboro.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:20 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,798,538 times
I'm tired of babbling on tonight, so I'll just make a list (in no particular order).

Most overrated: Bowling Green (by far), Georgetown, Lexington, Bardstown, Berea, Pikeville, Florence, Somerset (which also happens to be probably my least favorite town in the entire state)

Most underrated: Danville and Newport (by far and tied), then Independence, Midway (in Woodford Co.), Wilmore, Owensboro, Cadiz, Calhoun

Old 12-03-2008, 08:25 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,309,023 times
Dang.... who'd ever dreamed it, Calhoun on a list? Wow.... I grew up there.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:33 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,053,345 times
Maysville is a beautiful and growing city which doesn't get much press.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:42 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,798,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Dang.... who'd ever dreamed it, Calhoun on a list? Wow.... I grew up there.
Calhoun was placed on my list for: (1) it being a clean town, (2) it seems to have preserved its history quite well throughout the years, and (3) McLean County Public Schools are, judging by test scores, among the very best small county systems in the state, if not the nation.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:25 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,165,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkr785 View Post

But:

However:

You have to be joking. I enjoy going to Owensboro but it is not growing at the pace Bowling Green is and is not nearly as aesthetically pleasing. Bowling Green is attracting new businesses every year and even in this ecomonic down turn has remained fairly strong. If being close to a larger city is your criteria, Bowling Green is an hour from Nashvillle which is much preferable to Evansville which is not a destination I ever look forward to.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:50 PM

80 posts, read 247,274 times
I like Bowling Green's proximity to Nashville...close, but not too close.
Bowling Green does have it's share of big box stores, but for a city its size that's par for the course. Nothing ususual about that.
By and large the people are nice and friendly.

It has it's share of crime, but, to me, BG feels safe (safe enough, anyway).

There are two things about BG that bother me. Number one is lack of sidewalks....you go beyond the downtown area and good luck finding long stretches of sidewalks! BG does not appear to be a "pedestrian friendly" city (not yet, anyway). I understand that BG is working on that issue...maybe someday things will change. The other thing about BG that annoys me (sometimes) is the rather odd/peculiar layout of its streets. If you look at a map of BG, BG looks like a bowl of spaghetti! LOL! That won't change anytime soon....so if you live and/or work in BG you just have to accept it. The Scottsville Road/I-65 area is such a pain in the rear traffic-wise. So if I had one wish....I'd wish that someday BG and the state of KY can figure out what to do about the Scottsville Road/I-65 area!

On balance, though.....I like BG. It's a nice city. It's not "awesome" in any way, shape or form.....but it's nice.

I could think of many, many, many more cities of BG's size that are a whooole lot worse (in terms of crime, appearance, things to do, places to see etc. etc.)

Old 12-04-2008, 05:07 PM

631 posts, read 1,885,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
You have to be joking. I enjoy going to Owensboro but it is not growing at the pace Bowling Green is and is not nearly as aesthetically pleasing. Bowling Green is attracting new businesses every year and even in this ecomonic down turn has remained fairly strong. If being close to a larger city is your criteria, Bowling Green is an hour from Nashvillle which is much preferable to Evansville which is not a destination I ever look forward to.

I agree with you 10000%. The only good thing about Owensboro is Moonlight BBQ. Team Bowling Green

Old 12-04-2008, 06:26 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,309,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Calhoun was placed on my list for: (1) it being a clean town, (2) it seems to have preserved its history quite well throughout the years, and (3) McLean County Public Schools are, judging by test scores, among the very best small county systems in the state, if not the nation.
I am a graduate of Calhoun High School (1970). Out of that class of 54, last count I had we had at least 1 physician, 3 attorneys, a CIA operative, 6 teachers, one county judge-executive, a TV star, and several farmers and small business people.

I am very proud that you named Calhoun. My family has been there since it's founding in 1780.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky