Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 04:49 PM

21 posts, read 101,606 times

Advertisements

Appalachian Americans...I like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 09:12 PM

301 posts, read 1,371,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
hahaha I swear, people in Eastern KY are some of the friendliest people on earth!
I second that it's all smiles in that end of of the state.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:23 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Thanks guys, I am trying my best to get some more east kys to come on. I really had a time a couple months ago defending us, and you would have been a big help, but all is well now (that person disappeared after several posts) The moderators at cd do a fabulous job!!

Old 05-17-2007, 11:34 AM

69 posts, read 208,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Thanks guys, I am trying my best to get some more east kys to come on. I really had a time a couple months ago defending us, and you would have been a big help, but all is well now (that person disappeared after several posts) The moderators at cd do a fabulous job!!

Yeah, I'm from South-Eastern, Kentucky. Not as far east as you, though. I swear, you never know how good you have it until you move away. When I moved to N. Ky/Cincinnati - it was like night and day. People didn't talk, they didn't make eye contact, they were very abrasive and rude. There were very few thank yous and if you DID get one, it wasn't sincere. It took me a longggg time to adjust to their culture. But it made me appreciate the kindness even more when I came home.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:48 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganMRE View Post
Yeah, I'm from South-Eastern, Kentucky. Not as far east as you, though. I swear, you never know how good you have it until you move away. When I moved to N. Ky/Cincinnati - it was like night and day. People didn't talk, they didn't make eye contact, they were very abrasive and rude. There were very few thank yous and if you DID get one, it wasn't sincere. It took me a longggg time to adjust to their culture. But it made me appreciate the kindness even more when I came home.
I was born in Cincy and raised around Dayton. Moved here about 30 years ago. Would never go home to live. I love Ky., as everyone probably knows by now!It was a culture shock when I first, but the best shock of my life!

Old 05-19-2007, 09:22 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
Hello all! As a Louisvillian I consider myself southern. I also don't consider Louisville as being influenced by Indiana as Indiana being influenced by Kentucky. As far as Northern Kentucky is concerned, I have no idea :-)

Old 05-20-2007, 07:23 PM

The couple who used to teach my Sunday school class moved to Indianapolis when the hubby was transferred but came to visit us at church this a.m. They talked about how much different it is there than here and how much they missed the "southern hospitality". I guess that sums it up.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:39 PM

301 posts, read 1,371,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
The couple who used to teach my Sunday school class moved to Indianapolis when the hubby was transferred but came to visit us at church this a.m. They talked about how much different it is there than here and how much they missed the "southern hospitality". I guess that sums it up.

Yeah I think alot of Louisvillian are blissfully unaware of how Southern they are until they visit another part of the country.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:06 AM

I don't consider it "blissful" I simply don't understand it. I am proud of my heritage and of being Southern and wonder if others are just afraid of the stereotypes?

Old 05-22-2007, 05:58 PM

3 posts, read 17,089 times
Kentucky is south. I am in Indiana about an hour away from Kentucky and it is deff different. I went with my sister and asked a man to take a photo of us. Where most people would say "say cheese" he said "say pork and bean sandwich"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky