Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 03:40 PM

109 posts, read 812,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraBrueggman2 View Post
I lived in near Middlefield, Ohio also (Garrettsville) and had amish neighbors. They were great. We have lots of Amish in Breckinridge County and some Mennonites also. They have wood furniture stores, grocery stores and lumber yards. The Amish stores are located on S.R. 60 in Irvington and the Mennotite stores are on 144 between Union Star and Stephensport.

Small world, isn't it? When did you live in Middlefield & Garretsville? I was there from 1965-1990, before moving to Florida.

Where is Breckinridge County...????

Thanks for the info.

God Bless.

Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 12:13 PM

5 posts, read 28,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
I'm not sure exactly how many miles from Danville it is but Liberty Ky has a large Amish community. There are two general stores,furniture store and a quilt shop. I haven't been in a number of years but I don't recall a restaurant.
I grew up in the middle of the community you are talking about- they are mennonite, not amish. Most people don't realize there is a difference. They are old-order mennonite, which means they don't have electricity, use buggies, etc. There is a bulk-foods store, a produce center, a greenhouse, a general store, an oak furniture store and more. The quilt shop is not theirs. Quite a lot of people come through as 'tourists'. If youre' looking for food there is a great cafe going south of Liberty about 5 miles that is not amish or mennonite but good food, run by a local children's home. There is an amish community in the adair co./casey co. area.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:44 AM

Smile Amish/Mennonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipper View Post
I grew up in the middle of the community you are talking about- they are mennonite, not amish. Most people don't realize there is a difference. They are old-order mennonite, which means they don't have electricity, use buggies, etc. There is a bulk-foods store, a produce center, a greenhouse, a general store, an oak furniture store and more. The quilt shop is not theirs. Quite a lot of people come through as 'tourists'. If youre' looking for food there is a great cafe going south of Liberty about 5 miles that is not amish or mennonite but good food, run by a local children's home. There is an amish community in the adair co./casey co. area.
Thanx for the reply, Slipper. Yes, I do know the difference between Mennonite & Amish, having lived among them for 25 yrs. There is, evidently, a difference in the customs here in KY from that of Ohio. All the history I've researched, told that the Amish broke away from the Mennonite sect, as they thought the Mennonite were not strict enough.

You state that the Mennonite here in KY don't have electricity, use buggies, etc. It's just the opposite in NE Ohio. The Mennonites drive cars, have electricity, have phones, & the women wear white bonnets. They wear similar clothes, but the men don't wear beards. The Amish, on the other hand, don't have electricity, drive buggies, the men wear beards after they join the sect formally - usually when they are between 16-18 yrs. old. The women wear Black bonnets.

I dealt with the Amish extensively, having them as my neighbors, & as customers in my 2 retail stores. As a matter of fact, I bought my first farm from a Mennonite couple back in 1965, & remain good friends to this day.

I appreciate everones effort in helping me out in this matter.

God Bless.

Joe

Old 09-20-2007, 05:35 AM

190 posts, read 812,240 times
Hi Joe!

There's an Amish community near Harrodsburg that we have seen, but not visited. When we went on the "Worlds longest yardsale", we went right thru the area.

Hope this helps!
joanna

Old 09-20-2007, 10:02 AM

76 posts, read 344,770 times
Default Amish/Mennonite Communities

We also have Amish/Mennonite communites in Trigg County.
They have places set up in the areas where they sell their fruits and vegetable, lumber milling and horse breeding and etc.
They have several farms in our county to the north and south.

KYHummingbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncoastman View Post
Having lived for 25 years in Middlefield, Ohio (Geauga County) a heavily - populated Amish area, and now living in KY, I was wondering what areas in a 50 mile radius of Berea, KY might there be some Amish settlements.

I know that when I had my 2 retail businesses in the 70's & 80's, there were some local Amish families that started to buy farm land in Kentucky as the land in Geauga County in Ohio was getting more & more expensive.

I'd like to visit some flea markets they may frequent, as well as some authentic Amish-cooking restaurants. I guess I can do a 'Google' search, but sometimes the best info can be garnered from local people instead.

Any info would be appreciated.

God Bless.

Joe

Old 09-21-2007, 07:18 AM

Smile Thanks Joanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kichenwich View Post
Hi Joe!

There's an Amish community near Harrodsburg that we have seen, but not visited. When we went on the "Worlds longest yardsale", we went right thru the area.

Hope this helps!
joanna
Hi Joanna...It's been a while since I've 'talked' to you. Hope all is well w/you & your family.

Thanks for the info. I've compiled quite a list of places to go, & Donna & I will be visiting them all eventually.

We've been taking spur-of-the-moment drives on roads near our home, & just yesterday travelled a very beautiful but treacherous (No guardrails) road that led to us winding up in Estill County...and a neat little town of Irvine.

Last week we drove thru McKee & wound up in Manchester. We've been to London & Mt. Vernon also. There are just so many places we want to see. Each in its own time, I guess.

Take Care. God Bless.

Joe

Old 09-21-2007, 07:27 AM

We also have Amish/Mennonite communites in Trigg County.
They have places set up in the areas where they sell their fruits and vegetable, lumber milling and horse breeding and etc.
They have several farms in our county to the north and south.

KYHummingbird
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

Thank you for this info KYHummingbird. I'll have to get my KY map out & find where Trigg County is located. Ky is just so beautiful & Donna & I are really enjoying exploring some of the areas.

As we meet more & more people though, we still get this strange reaction when we tell them we moved from Florida to KY. They all ask, "Why?" I guess when you've lived your whole life in 1 State, you don't really appreciate all it has to offer. I know when I moved from Ohio to Florida in the late 80's, I didn't realize all that Ohio had to offer until I returned to visit years later. Human nature, I guess.

Thanks again.

God Bless.

Joe

Old 12-09-2008, 09:00 AM

1 posts, read 13,318 times
Question how far???

Hello, how far is Liberty ky from Clay City ky? I'm interested in going to Amish community for shopping? Is it right in town or on the outskirts? Does Liberty Amish Community have a web site? Thanks

Old 03-29-2009, 08:51 AM

2 posts, read 23,908 times
would like to find armish lumber yards near glasgow ,ky.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:44 AM

3 posts, read 25,941 times
Suncoastman

The closest to you would probably be Crab Orchard in Garrard County. The Amish has a community there that has a bulk food store, saw mill, processing plant, produce auction and a few other businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky