Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 11:55 PM

295 posts, read 750,550 times

Advertisements

Hiknapster,
I hope you don't think I was complaining about this area. I think it's great!! As a matter of fact, I'm boggled that people don't see that this as a great place to relocate their businesses to. This area has a low cost of living, cheap taxes, low utility bills, cheap homes for their employees, short commute distances, people willing to work for much lower salaries than many other areas in this country, a great natural climate which makes for reasonable heating and cooling bills, not to mention the beautiful mountains and lakes for recreational purposes. In short, it's a very industry friendly area.
I just hope that the business incubators, chamber of commerce, etc. can attract some industry that uses products from local industries that are already here who may wish to relocate their manufacturing facilities or that exist within a 3-4 hour radius or develop totally new businesses that can exist further away from major city centers to locate here. I think if you are worried about brain/drain and increasing local salaries then that is the future for this region. We all need talk this area up, it should become almost a civic duty, and in time we will attract the kind of industries that will supply those medium salary jobs that this area seems to lack. Currently this area seems to be divided between those with good jobs and those that service those people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,236 times
Default Wanting to move from NJ

I am a 37yr old married mother of 2. Looking to move to the tri city area. What are the utilities like? Ours here are sky high. We have a 13yr old and a college freshmen who will stay here in NJ. Mu hubby will transfer down he has been with Walmart for 17yrs. Yes some ppl stay there that long! LOL I am a certified medical assistant but I have been on lay off status here in NJ for over 2 years. It is a scary move but I LOVE the area & it seems more affordable. Hubby & I are comming down in October 2011 so he can get a feel for it, he has never been to TN. So what's the deal folks, lay it on me, the good, the bad & the ugly! FYI we are moving from a town that has been over run with crime, shootings, gangs, it is to the point that I will not put my younger daughter in public school. oh yea & lucky us our credit is in the crapper so how are the utility companys with deposits & such are they high?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol