Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2007, 05:00 PM

67 posts, read 236,952 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Northeast TN. I moved down to Atlanta 11 years ago when I graduated high school and went to Georgia Tech for an IT degree. That is where I met my husband and we settled outside of Atlanta...well now we are interested in moving back to the area. The only problem is there does not seem to be many computer jobs. I have seen a few for PC support, but he is a UNIX systems Administrator. I am not sure if I am just looking in the wrong places or if its the "good ole boy" network or what...haha. We have mostly checked on the big search engines such as Monster.com & Computerjobs.com which do not even list anything past Knoxville usually. I grew up in the Tri-Cities so I would like to be as close to there as possible, but the closest thing I have seen really is Knoxville and that is still like an hour and a half away. I am interested in Kingsport, Johnson City, Bristol, Gray, Greeneville even. Any leads would be appreciated or if anyone in the area has suggestions of company's who may and an IT need so I can check their web pages directly. I think I have just been out of the area so long I am not familiar with what companies are there anymore. A lot of changes happen in 11 years time. Thanks in advance for the information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 05:35 PM

136 posts, read 459,325 times
I can't help with specific info about jobs because I don't live in Tennessee, but I can offer a web site that is kind of a megasearch engine. It searches a bunch of job databases. You can even set it to send you email alerts for any new jobs. The web site is: Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed

I have no affiliation with it or make any money from it. I just use it and really like it.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:23 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
And even though there are jobs listed in Knoxville, they are tough to get and don't pay well.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:08 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Try Wellmont Health System and Mountain States Health Alliance. From time to time they have openings in IS. Good Luck and Welcome Back Home!

Old 06-13-2007, 06:31 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Check out Eastman.com Most jobs here in the Tri-Cities area are filled by employment agencies and head hunters. I would suggest going to the on line yellow pages and look for these type agencies and contact them.
Good luck and welcome back home.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:44 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,376,856 times
Hello, Veragemini. I think someone with your qualifications should look toward Nashville.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,330 times
veragemini . I worked for about 20 years in the Computer Profession. I got to the point that I could look at an ad and if the Company name was not listed, I knew where the job was. Then within 2 to 3 weeks the company that had lost the employee would be hiring someone - just an endless circle.

The reason for all that info at the top, after I was working in the Computer field and wanted to change companies, I went to each of the Chamber of Commerces and ask for the book on the local businesses. You can fax or if you prefer, mail a cover letter and resume to the companies of your choice. The book will show the number of employees and other info that you can use in your cover letter. I also called the main offices and ask to speak to the computer room (please do not hold me responsible for this statement). If you know anything about a computer room, you get someone - that is waiting for a helpdesk call. You will have to design your on speech to obtain the information that you need. I always wanted to know if they used mainframes, VAX's, Unix, AIX, pc networked, what help desk software they use (everyone that has a helpdesk sends tickets to the appropriate person - so even if you are looking for a programming position, administrator or operator position - you need to know the Helpdesk software.

Just from the above, you know the company has a Unix and if you knew the Helpdesk Software it would be good to list them. Additionally, even if a company does not have an opening today, someone may leave, someone may get terminated - so have those resumes in.

Eastman and the hospitals are all good choices. If I am going after something, say a job, I try to cover all bases. I kept my 2nd husband working so much that he thought that was my job.

I hope this helps.
Tresor

Old 06-27-2007, 10:09 AM

67 posts, read 236,952 times
Thanks guys. I have gotten a few good leads. I am talking to someone at Eastman & they do have UNIX, but they have not been able to tell me which flavor yet. I am guessing AIX from some of what they have said, but the lady was not sure. She is checking on that. Also, there are several jobs in Greenville. As for the Nashville suggestion I am definitely considering that, however we are living in the metropolis of Atlanta and though Nashville has a somewhat different feel I am afraid that in just a few years its going to be exactly like Atlanta. There are definitely a lot more rural areas and less urban sprawl there than I see here currently. If anyone can think of any other leads/ideas I am all ears. Thanks guys!

Julie

Old 09-22-2007, 05:42 PM

2 posts, read 8,413 times
Hello Veragemini--
We are also looking to relocate to Eastern Tennessee, Tri Cities area. I am a graduate student and want to take up stuides at ETSU. My husband is a computer guy--embedded software, open source LINUX programmer, C++...and he can't find anything. I hope your search was successful. Do you have any suggestions for us? Jeanette

Old 09-22-2007, 06:57 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoCat View Post
Hello Veragemini--
We are also looking to relocate to Eastern Tennessee, Tri Cities area. I am a graduate student and want to take up stuides at ETSU. My husband is a computer guy--embedded software, open source LINUX programmer, C++...and he can't find anything. I hope your search was successful. Do you have any suggestions for us? Jeanette
Have you checked with Siemens for your husband? They are usually looking for computer guys. You could also go to www.eastman.com and check with them, on line is the only way they hire. There is Mountain States Health Alliance too.
Good luck and in advance welcome to the Tri-Cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol