Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 11:28 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Speaking of water it looks to me like this area has twice as many rainy days as were I live, close to Frederick MD. I checked the monthly rainfall measurements and it is about the same as here but if it rains twice as many days, well that may be a concern.
IMO it's not bad, we get a lot of afternoon showers. They roll in and are gone an hour later. I think it's kind of neat how it can be raining in one part of the tri-cities but you look over in another direction and the sun is shining over there. Makes for a lot of pretty rainbows too.

Last edited by DubbleT; 10-22-2012 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: Oh, and the rain saves on watering the yard, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 03:57 AM

712 posts, read 1,488,007 times
Yes I have never heard rain as a complaint of anyone here- as the last poster said they are typically afternoon pop up showers that come with the heat of the day, then disappear. We also often have long periods of dry spells and then get a few days of rain in a row.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:04 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Yeah that's a relief. As we all remember from grade school geography areas on the windward side of the mountains, such as Seattle, get a lot of rain so naturally I thought it was the case here.

But I still go back to the thread title and the issue of water bills and Johnson City tax. Even $50/month as one poster stated is a lot more than we are used to paying in MD with our own well/septic tank. Our plan to move where it is cheap may be derailed if this water bill/city tax is really an issue.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:13 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,938,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Yeah that's a relief. As we all remember from grade school geography areas on the windward side of the mountains, such as Seattle, get a lot of rain so naturally I thought it was the case here.

But I still go back to the thread title and the issue of water bills and Johnson City tax. Even $50/month as one poster stated is a lot more than we are used to paying in MD with our own well/septic tank. Our plan to move where it is cheap may be derailed if this water bill/city tax is really an issue.
Same situation with us! Trying to find somewhere inexpensive to move to/retire.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:35 AM

239 posts, read 699,623 times
Our neighborhood in Gray has the city water and sewer, although some neighborhoods have septic instead of sewer. I'm sure if you are in certain areas you could have a well and septic and therefore, no water bill to worry about. There is a recycling center / garbage center in Gray where you can take your trash.

It is good to ask questions on here, because I do not think all of the realtors are aware of this or they do not mention it. I know on our home disclosure in relation to electric costs it had the average cost at $80. This was absolutely incorrect because our bills are usually $200 - $250. I called the electric company and the former owners had ONE month that their bill was only $80....that was extremely frustrating as a new home purchaser. I should mention that we always use the AC in the warm months due to my husband and son having really bad allergies and I know that drives the cost up, and we are also heating / cooling a house that is nearly 3000 square feet, but to put down the lowest cost as the average cost is terribly misleading.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacersFan View Post
Our neighborhood in Gray has the city water and sewer, although some neighborhoods have septic instead of sewer. I'm sure if you are in certain areas you could have a well and septic and therefore, no water bill to worry about. There is a recycling center / garbage center in Gray where you can take your trash.

It is good to ask questions on here, because I do not think all of the realtors are aware of this or they do not mention it. I know on our home disclosure in relation to electric costs it had the average cost at $80. This was absolutely incorrect because our bills are usually $200 - $250. I called the electric company and the former owners had ONE month that their bill was only $80....that was extremely frustrating as a new home purchaser. I should mention that we always use the AC in the warm months due to my husband and son having really bad allergies and I know that drives the cost up, and we are also heating / cooling a house that is nearly 3000 square feet, but to put down the lowest cost as the average cost is terribly misleading.

Boy that is TERRIBLE. I'd be very very upset if I were you. I'll make sure I check for myself, thanks for sharing.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370z View Post
Same situation with us! Trying to find somewhere inexpensive to move to/retire.
I know, right? I am still stumped at the thought of the median household income being around $35,000. That is literally half of what it is where we live and trust me this is the land of the pickup and flannel shirt.

I get it, a lot of it is housing and taxes. But I just can't believe that a major purchase like a washer/dryer, or a new alternator for your car, or dinner out will cost so much less in JC that you can make it happen on half the income. .

Old 11-03-2012, 04:43 PM

4 posts, read 15,389 times
My family and I moved here from NJ over the summer and have found that some things here are cheaper, and a few more expensive. The cost of living is not as low as you would think.

The major savings for us are property taxes ($1,500 vs. $6,200 in NJ) and car insurance (about a 30% savings). Also, our house here that cost $265,000 would have cost about $750,000 in NJ.

Restaurant meals are only slightly cheaper than in NJ (a few dollars a meal)

Groceries are a little cheaper, as is gasoline and electric.

We actually pay more for TV, internet and phone service ($160 per month vs. $120 per month)

And, as I posted earlier, water is much more expensive. Our bill should work out to about $200 per month here vs. $240 per quarter in NJ.

We are definitely able to live on less here, but it is not 'dirt cheap'.

Also, I have found that salaries here are low, with most office jobs starting at $9 - $10 per hour.

We do love the area and are happy here, though.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:29 AM

$200 a month for water? What is it, mineral water?

Old 11-04-2012, 05:41 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theqs View Post
My family and I moved here from NJ over the summer and have found that some things here are cheaper, and a few more expensive. The cost of living is not as low as you would think.

The major savings for us are property taxes ($1,500 vs. $6,200 in NJ) and car insurance (about a 30% savings). Also, our house here that cost $265,000 would have cost about $750,000 in NJ.

Restaurant meals are only slightly cheaper than in NJ (a few dollars a meal)

Groceries are a little cheaper, as is gasoline and electric.

We actually pay more for TV, internet and phone service ($160 per month vs. $120 per month)

And, as I posted earlier, water is much more expensive. Our bill should work out to about $200 per month here vs. $240 per quarter in NJ.

We are definitely able to live on less here, but it is not 'dirt cheap'.

Also, I have found that salaries here are low, with most office jobs starting at $9 - $10 per hour.

We do love the area and are happy here, though.
You've either got a leak, busted pipe somewhere, a problem with the meter or someone hooked into your water. $200 a month is not a normal rate for this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol