Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,809 times

Advertisements

I am a fuel tanker driver, and I can shed a little light on this. If you buy gas from Citgo, the wholesale gasoline in the tanker came from Hugo's state owned company. As a hauler of non-branded fuel, I cannot sell to or deliver to branded stores by contract and law. Most Citgo stations are privately owned and have a contract (usually 5 years) with Citgo, who supplies the gas and the signs etc., some of the stores are in fact owned by Citgo. If you buy a beer from a private owned store, all the profit goes to the store owner, but if you buy gas from any Citgo station, the wholesale fuel came from Hugo. It is true that Citgo sells to private unbranded stores as well, but you can't do it the other way around. So if you are buying from Billies quick mart, you have to ask Billy to ask his fuel supplier if it comes from Citgo; sometimes it will, but if it says Citgo out front, it absolutely does. PJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 05:16 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
Thanks for clearing that up P.J.! We appreciate you.
I don't think there are many Citgo's left around here.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:35 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,231,171 times
Well, I have noticed that my Lexus has dropped from 21 mpg last year to 16 mpg now. I think its because of the fuel as well. It would be worth getting it once to see if MPG improves.

I do not have a Sams card, but my mother does. How does the gas at Sams work? We have never got gas there before. I could get her to go with me once a week to fill the car. Does all she have to do is go up to the window and pay for it and present her Sams card?

Thanks

Old 12-22-2008, 08:24 PM

Sam's now, as of November 1st, has ethanol in their gas.
But the way it works is you have to insert your Sam's card before you insert your payment card, they do not take cash.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:05 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,626,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
But the way it works is you have to insert your Sam's card before you insert your payment card, they do not take cash.
I noticed this too about Sams; it's disappointing. Seems Chevron is the only 100% gas available, except for Food Country on 394.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:59 AM

Yea, and it really stinks too! My car runs awful on the ethanol. Gas prices may have come down but now I have to put gas treatment in my car a few times a month so for me the price of fuel and treatment isn't so great. The gas mileage, or lack there of, is really noticeable too. All adding ethanol to gas is doing is increasing the price of all other corn products and forcing people to buy even more gas in the long run. Now tell me how any of that actually helps the environment? And seeing as it takes the same amount of gas to create the ethanol than if there was no ethanol in it anyway?
Sorry, but the whole ethanol things is a sore spot with me.
It's like putting a band-aid on your skin where there is no cut.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:31 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,626,313 times
You bring up several good points: bad for cars especially older models, increased food prices, etc.

But as far as environment, it supposedly burns cleaner. Also I'm not an expert on this but one needs energy not gas to turn corn to ethanol. So although there is a "net energy loss", I would guess much of the energy lost is electricity which can come from many sources.

Right now that new Food Country is getting all my fuel business because it is 100% gas. (It's also the same price as the Food City across the street.)

Old 12-23-2008, 01:43 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,238,441 times
For anyone down that way, the Creekside Markets in Greene County are 100% gas as well.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:44 PM

290 posts, read 1,054,137 times
The gas stations here in Nashville are doing the same thing with the 10% Ethanol. My 93 Saturn runs ok on it, but the gas mileage is at 30MPG down from 36MPG. I have been trying to find a brand here in town that sells 100% Gasoline. Of course, some of the decreased mileage is due to the cold weather recently causing the car to take a longer time reaching the right temperature to run more efficiently.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:57 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,231,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Well, thats disappointing about cash only, because I do not always have my card with me, but since they no longer have ethanol free gas, it does not matter now. All I know is like you, my car has been running more poorly and it sucks more gasoline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrain View Post
You bring up several good points: bad for cars especially older models,
Right now that new Food Country is getting all my fuel business because it is 100% gas. (It's also the same price as the Food City across the street.)
Well, thats excellent news about the Food Country on 394 having the ethanol free gasoline. I will go there next time to refuel in that car and see if the MPGs increase back up. Unfortunately, I have heard this store is not doing good business otherwise. I have only been in there once, but its a very nice store. It seemed like their prices are higher overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol