Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2008, 09:01 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,806,957 times

Advertisements

before development can flourish:

Retail and commercial growth downtown will flourish only after development in the area between East Tennessee State University and downtown, and no developer worth his salt will invest downtown before flooding problems are fixed.

Those were the key points real estate consultant Tom Kohler made to Johnson City Development Authority members and other "stakeholders" at a Wednesday meeting.

:: Johnson City Press - News :: (http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Detail.php?Cat=HOMEPAGE&ID=65217 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 09:44 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,626,313 times
kam, Sarah, et al, have there been any proposals to fix the flooding issues?

I've always thought that efficiency apts would be nice to attract college students and young graduates.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:39 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Well, glad the consultants told the city... what... most of us already know.

Hopefully they ACT on it this time. Sheesh.

However, I'd never heard of the proposed baseball stadium at TN St/State of Franklin. I wondered what was up with that property, as it's ETSU-owned and is quite empty. But, aren't they building a stadium on Greenwood, right behind Kroger? Or is that just softball? Hmm, confused now.

Sarah or anyone else who might know, besides the Chamber of Commerce, what's happening at the old General Mills property? There's a sign up that says "residential - retail - office" so I was wondering if it's going to be developed as mixed-use.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:51 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Well, if they refuse to address the issue, it proves the city ignores infrastructure concerns.

Yes, behind Kroger ETSU has built the softball field...some is still in progress. I am glad they have vision.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:09 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,192,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Well, glad the consultants told the city... what... most of us already know.

Hopefully they ACT on it this time. Sheesh.

However, I'd never heard of the proposed baseball stadium at TN St/State of Franklin. I wondered what was up with that property, as it's ETSU-owned and is quite empty. But, aren't they building a stadium on Greenwood, right behind Kroger? Or is that just softball? Hmm, confused now.

Sarah or anyone else who might know, besides the Chamber of Commerce, what's happening at the old General Mills property? There's a sign up that says "residential - retail - office" so I was wondering if it's going to be developed as mixed-use.
Johnson City is renowned for its studies (especially on downtown)! And, yes, I totally agree with you, Jab, *we* already knew about the necessity to fix the flooding before real development can happen.. But the city had to be told again???

I have been to more flood-related meetings than I can count on two hands. You sometimes get the feeling that as long as they can delay things (spending money) through studies, etc. they will! I think the fact is the powers that be still can't see downtown as viable place to put the city's money. (But they welcome big corporate businesses with open arms).

I've suggested (as have others) on a number of occasions that they work to obtain grants, just as Jonesborough did to correct their flooding - and apparently this is a good possibility. So, why no action?

Most buildings on the east side of Main and Market haven't experienced major (or any) flooding problems but for building owners on the west side every time it rains, they're terrified! There are many neat buildings on the west side that probably would be either sold or rehabbed if the flooding problems were mitigated..
And I always go back to the fact that when surveyed, most JC folks say they'd love to see their downtown restored!

Old 10-11-2008, 12:17 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
I agree that it seems (at least from my vantage point) that city leaders have little to no interest in promoting downtown as a vital piece of Johnson City. Sad/confusing, as one only has to look at Asheville, Greenville SC, more and more Kingsport - heck, even Bristol - to see what an active downtown can do for a city's image, prosperity, quality of life... shall I go on?

Old 10-11-2008, 08:00 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,192,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I agree that it seems (at least from my vantage point) that city leaders have little to no interest in promoting downtown as a vital piece of Johnson City. Sad/confusing, as one only has to look at Asheville, Greenville SC, more and more Kingsport - heck, even Bristol - to see what an active downtown can do for a city's image, prosperity, quality of life... shall I go on?
They SAY they care and occasionally will put some money into a project downtown - but until they're fully committed (as 2 commissioners now seem to be) to doing whatever it takes, we might have to wait until all the other tri-cities are fully restored. Then, maybe they'll finally realize how much time and money (on studies) they've wasted..

Glad folks here seem to care!

Old 10-11-2008, 12:56 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Lightbulb hi there-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
They SAY they care and occasionally will put some money into a project downtown - but until they're fully committed (as 2 commissioners now seem to be) to doing whatever it takes, we might have to wait until all the other tri-cities are fully restored. Then, maybe they'll finally realize how much time and money (on studies) they've wasted..

Glad folks here seem to care!
I care. In fact if the maket ever picks up (like in 2012-lol) I will consider selling my house because the town could offer so much but, is frozen in time.

I dont like Bristol. Part of it is just chains and Applebees, and the other section, alot of times restaurants arent even open on weekends.

I like Kingsport,the older section on that main road is nice, I dont know why JC has no vision. I am not saying it should be a thriving metropolis, I am saying renovate the old buildings, there is a market, people are sick of the mall. Originality counts for alot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol