Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 07:33 PM

176 posts, read 650,999 times

Advertisements

From what we've read and heard of so far, Elizabethton and Jonesborough are definitely on our list, and now we'll add Greeneville as well. We'll be sure to check out Gray, though if it's mostly subdivisions of cleared open land it won't be in the running.
Angler, just curious as to why you'd rather be in Carter county than Washinton. I know Fall Branch isn't as close to JC as E-ton is, but I think it's not too far from Kingsport. Not sure if that's good or not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 08:24 PM

506 posts, read 1,475,908 times
They are both nice, so I wouldn't mind either one (in fact I live in Jonesborough). Carter County is definitely cheaper than Washington County, so that is a plus. It is also a little closer to the mountains, although not by much. EDIT: Fall Branch is closer to Kingsport than it is to Johnson City - I prefer Johnson City, but if you are just going to town for main things like groceries obviously it wouldn't matter. Either way though, you can't go wrong with either one of them.

Last edited by AppalachianAngler; 02-26-2007 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: Correcting a distance issue

Old 02-27-2007, 10:32 AM

53 posts, read 250,975 times
Smile schools in Greeneville

Looks like we will also be moving to Greeneville area. Can anyone tell me how the schools are? Is there a difference in Greene County schools versus Greeneville schools? I have a middle schooler and she is in all advanced classes, so I want to make sure she winds up in the right school. Or are there any private, christian schools anyone would recommend? What types of shopping are available? Is there a Walmart or Target or Lowes?

Old 02-27-2007, 12:05 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz Lady View Post
Looks like we will also be moving to Greeneville area. Can anyone tell me how the schools are? Is there a difference in Greene County schools versus Greeneville schools? I have a middle schooler and she is in all advanced classes, so I want to make sure she winds up in the right school. Or are there any private, christian schools anyone would recommend? What types of shopping are available? Is there a Walmart or Target or Lowes?
You can find scores for every school and every school district in Tennessee:
http://www.k-12.state.tn.us/rptcrd06/ (broken link)

You can also find what stores are in Greeneville through a simple search on the internet. Greeneville has a Wal-Mart and a Lowe's. Target is in Johnson City. Greeneville also has JCPenney and Belk.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:07 PM

506 posts, read 1,475,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz Lady View Post
I went to Greeneville city schools and they are top notch public schools. However, I wouldn't say the same for the county (no offense to anyone). They are okay, but not nearly on the same level as the city schools.

There are a couple of private Christian schools, but I haven't heard of these being any better than Greeneville's public ones. I honestly think it would be a waste of money.

There is a brand new super Wal-Mart on 11-E near Tusculum College (I think it may actually be in Tusculum, but it is only about a 5 mile drive from downtown Greeneville). There is a newer Lowe's also on 11-E next to Blockbuster & Food Lion. There is no Target, but there is one about 25-30 minutes up the road in Johnson City as well as multiple other stores in JC.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:06 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
I agree about Greeneville city schools. I had my children in Greene County schools and moved to Washington County because there was advanced classes here and not in Greene County schools. The City schools do.
As for the Tri-Cites and specifically Gray, yes, from East side of Gray down and out to Boones Creek (Which even though it has a different name, is Gray) is where you will find the new developments being built. The houses are a bit to close for my taste but they don't have HOA's which in my opinion is good. But if you look in West and North Gray, it is mainly woods and farm. Low County taxes, Great schools and close to both JC and Kingsport.
South Johnson City on the Carter County line and just over the Carter County line is also beautiful and open, very few developments however the schools......they are ok.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:51 PM

39 posts, read 150,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougargm View Post
From what we've read and heard of so far, Elizabethton and Jonesborough are definitely on our list, and now we'll add Greeneville as well. We'll be sure to check out Gray, though if it's mostly subdivisions of cleared open land it won't be in the running.
Angler, just curious as to why you'd rather be in Carter county than Washinton. I know Fall Branch isn't as close to JC as E-ton is, but I think it's not too far from Kingsport. Not sure if that's good or not
I have to agree with Angler (Fall Branch is just too far from JC and Bristol an d Kingsport).
If you like to have some spce around you and still be close to a hospital and shopping I think PINEY FLATTS is the best location for you. I live in Bristol TN and travel 11-e from Bristol to JC occasionally and have stopped in and around the Piney Flatts area, the people are really friendly and welcoming, there is no crime and the church in Piney Flatts (Methodist) is really great.
The homes are well taken care of and if you want some land there is plenty around with a great view of the western side of the Smokeys along a ridge line (that might be Holston Mtn.) but you are in the valley and not really any snow comes through here much. Maybe 4 to 6 inches a winter. Nothin like the 60+ you get now. That will be a welcome change I bet, the summers are very cool here and plenty of mountain valley breeze to cool you down.
Yep I'd pick either Piney Flatts or Elizabethton (check out the Deer River Park) and don't forget to walk through the Bridge in Elizabethton (an old covered bridge in downtown) area is really something neat to see.
Welcome to Tennessee .. the Trout fishing is great around the Holston river by the Dam. Bring your pole and stay a while...

Old 03-02-2007, 01:19 AM

176 posts, read 650,999 times
Funny you should mention Piney Flats, Dixie, because that was the very first town recommended to us in an RV forum I frequent ( and used it to research info on TN long before I found this great site). I just haven't found many lots available there when searching the MLS listings, and the ones that are listed seem more expensive than other parts of the tri-cities. Guess one is paying for the convenient location (and that's everything in real estate, right
It's uncanny how similar NE TN and NE PA are, except for the weather...and what you describe, Dixie, sounds great. Right now we're having a sleet/freezing rain wintry mix that is supposed to make for really bad road conditions in the AM. Hmn, we'll be down there five weeks from today-can't wait!

Old 03-04-2007, 07:46 PM

13 posts, read 37,329 times
Default Fall Branch is very close to Kingsport.

Fall Branch is very close to Kingsport. It is a ten minute drive. Kingsport is very nice also. It is starting to grow more rapidly. There are all kinds of new developments all over the city. The major shopping centers are about 15-20 minutes from Fall Branch. Fall Branch is about 15-20 minutes from Gray and about 25 from Johnson City. Greeneville is also 25 minutes away. If you are looking for a nice quiet town with beautiful hills, mountains, and streams than Fall Branch is your town. The town has an excellent school. The fire department has just built a new, larger fire department right beside the school. Gray is a hastle. Especially in the morning and evening rushours. Sometimes it can take more than 5 minutes to pull onto the highway from the gas stations and vice versa. Gray is just too crowded. The traffice is the worst part though.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:53 PM

39 posts, read 150,874 times
Smile DaBranch man you must be from Fall Branch?

Hey DaBranchMan you sound like you live in Fall Branch. How long ?
Know the Stanley's - they just had a new baby boy a few months ago. They live in Fall Branch. Matt works with me at King.
Just curious.
Man traffic is nonexistent here vs a big city like Nashville. You have got it made here. And it looks like a early Spring is here wow 77 today and full sunshine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol