Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2009, 06:48 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times

Advertisements

“This is a terrific announcement for Kingsport and the downtown area,” Kingsport Mayor Dennis Phillips. “Despite tough economic times nationally, we continue to see regional interest in investing in Kingsport and the Northeast Tennessee region.”

Downtown Kingsport Gets $18.5 Million Boost | TriCities (http://www.tricities.com/tri/news/local/article/downtown_Kingsport_gets_18.5_million_boost/21160/ - broken link)

I think this is just AWESOME not just for downtown Kingsport but for health care in the area as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 08:29 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Great news. I'd been anticipating the Project Friday announcement. This isn't at all what I was expecting, but it makes a lot of sense, I feel. Kingsport is very smart - they're optioning their downtown properties to businesses that will actually BRING people into downtown. Ice cream shops etc. are great down there, but by themselves they will never bring enough traffic to support stuff like Stir Fry and luxury condos.

I would love to see the renderings. Any heads up on those, mb? Using the beautiful (in its original form, not the add-ons) Kingsport Press building is great. It's got such an amazing history... all the books printed there (including, just a bit of trivia, all of the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books until the late 1970s!)

And, I feel like a broken record, but once again I must say.... can these guys annex Johnson City??

Old 03-03-2009, 08:36 PM

Here is a link to Jeff Flemings, the assistant city manager,web site. It has the renderings on it.
Kingsport!
They look GREAT! Can't believe they are going to make those old buildings look like THAT!
It will totaly change the entire look of Kingsport from that downtown entry point for sure.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:24 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Great renderings. And I read somewhere a few weeks ago where the city's Farmer's Market will eventually relocate to this area too... right? hm, I think so.

I just hope they leave the really neat 'Kingsport Press' over the door. I didn't see it, maybe they just didn't put it in the rendering or maybe it's on another end of the building. (Gotta admit I'm not that familiar with the complex.)

Old 03-04-2009, 07:04 AM

Yes, there was talk early on about designating the furthest western building be allocated for the farmers market.
I too hope they leave the name, that is so cool when they leave those old signs on the newly renovated buildings. Nice combo of the old and new.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:32 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,191,796 times
[quote=jabogitlu;7722638]Great news. I'd been anticipating the Project Friday announcement. This isn't at all what I was expecting, but it makes a lot of sense, I feel. Kingsport is very smart - they're optioning their downtown properties to businesses that will actually BRING people into downtown. Ice cream shops etc. are great down there, but by themselves they will never bring enough traffic to support stuff like Stir Fry and luxury condos.

I would love to see the renderings. Any heads up on those, mb? Using the beautiful (in its original form, not the add-ons) Kingsport Press building is great. It's got such an amazing history... all the books printed there (including, just a bit of trivia, all of the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books until the late 1970s!)

And, I feel like a broken record, but once again I must say.... can these guys annex Johnson City??[/quote]

First off, warm congrats to Kingsport and all its stakeholders for bringing about these phenomenal changes in their downtown! All you guys should receive a major reward and serve as an example to follow for other struggling downtowns.

As to Jab's very perceptive 'tongue in cheek' comment, my question would have to be what *specifically* has Kingsport done to achieve this degree of excellence when compared to Johnson City?

I found a great quote the other day, which comes close to describing how some downtown JC folks feel about their downtown. These are people who've worked for well over a decade to bring changes to the city they either lived in and/or worked in. And, perhaps, this has become one of downtown JC's greatest roadblocks - the loss of good people who once believed...
......"It's always the most devout who become the greatest cynics when they're disillusioned...."

Clearly Kingsport is surging ahead because so many people *do* believe and are dedicated to making their downtown a special place to live and work!

Last edited by SarahSal; 03-04-2009 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: add

Old 03-04-2009, 09:50 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,625,586 times
I had a prof. at King for Business Law. He was involved with B-Va city planning. He remarked more than once that he envied Johnson City's set up and planning. He distinctly noted who Bristol's twin city status was a great hindrance to to its keeping up with JC or KPT. He never said much good or bad about KPT.

If JC had a better downtown (especially with a water aspect), it would be the perfect little city.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:55 AM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Wow. For a city Kingsport's size, they are really actively pursuing and doing what other large, rust-belt (and some sun-belt) cities only dream to do with existing factory/warehouse space that sits empty. Think of Buffalo, Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, etc. Kingsport is a shining example of rehabbing downtown, existing factory buildings and creating use for them in a positive, community-enhancing way.

Congrats! That's great news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol