Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 08:22 PM

374 posts, read 948,012 times

Advertisements

that I agree with suggesting the OP stay in the Knoxville area. White Pine is extremely rural, jobs are scarce, and, in my opinion, not an ideal first TN location for someone from Jersey.

It's already likely that there may be a reduction in wages coming from north to south, but having a job is important and it's far more likely to find one in Knoxville. Personally, I think a daily commute from White Pine to Knoxville would be miserable.

More an issue of common sense than being a realtor and I'm NOT a realtor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 09:50 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,384,646 times
I work in the entire state.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:03 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,256,838 times
White Pine, being fifteen minutes to Jefferson City or Morristown and thirty minutes from Knoxville is not what I consider *extremely rural*.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:05 AM

745 posts, read 1,723,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
White Pine, being fifteen minutes to Jefferson City or Morristown and thirty minutes from Knoxville is not what I consider *extremely rural*.
I believe White Pine is more than 30 minutes from Knoxville, maybe 30 to the extreme eastern city limits of Knoxville.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:26 AM

I live in White Pine. I can hit 40 @ exit four and be at Knoxville Center Mall in thirty minutes or less. From exit eight, it's thirty five minutes and eight is in Morristown. My husband drives from here to Watt's Rd daily and does it in under a hour.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:31 AM

745 posts, read 1,723,263 times
Quote:
I live in White Pine. I can hit 40 @ exit four and be at Knoxville Center Mall in thirty minutes or less. From exit eight, it's thirty five minutes and eight is in Morristown. My husband drives from here to Watt's Rd daily and does it in under a hour.
Not anything to debate about, but East Town/Knoxville Mall is at the eastern limits of Knoxville, not downtown, as I noted.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:39 PM

I'm sorry, I don't see where you were timing the drive to downtown Knoxville- I just saw the reference to White Pine being more than thirty minutes from Knoxville.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:44 PM

According to Google maps, it takes 48 minutes to get from "downtown" White Pine to downtown Knoxville but that is not the point.

It never hurt anyone to investigate a town. Well, most towns.

Do I think "White Pine" when someone from Jersey says up front they want to live in the suburbs and not anything "too rural?" Of course not. White Pine is lovely but very, very rural. I bet there are lots of folks that are happy there and I bet more would be happy to live there, but probably not in this case.

I'm from the northeast; a little town of 12,000. I lived in rural Knox County and it was too country for me. I never thought I would live in a city in a million years, but Knoxville is more like a very large town. A suburb here in Knoxville is probably going to be a better choice. Or, perhaps Maryville.

It's not a slam against White Pine. But not every place is for everyone.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:31 PM

Oh, I didn't take it as a slam against White Pine. :0)
I honestly don't know any area that would fit the op's total criteria. Correct me if i'm wrong, since all i've ever lived in is rural TN and VERY rural NM- but from posts made by northerners wishing to come here, i've gathered that the walkable, almost all inclusive neighborhood is rampant in the northern part of the US?

Btw- we HAVE a downtown here? lol

Old 06-28-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Oh, I didn't take it as a slam against White Pine. :0)
I honestly don't know any area that would fit the op's total criteria. Correct me if i'm wrong, since all i've ever lived in is rural TN and VERY rural NM- but from posts made by northerners wishing to come here, i've gathered that the walkable, almost all inclusive neighborhood is rampant in the northern part of the US?

Btw- we HAVE a downtown here? lol
We do have more sidewalks in little towns up north. Yes. I grew up in a town that looked more like "Mayberry" than anything I've seen in the south. Most streets had sidewalks and you could walk to the corner store, the library, the dress shop, the stationery store, the shoe store.

But there are tons of areas of Knoxville that fit their criteria. Powell. Fountain City. Halls. West Knoxville. Karns. And on and on and on. Lots of friendly people. Minutes to downtown. Affordable. And much lower taxes. Just not a lot of sidewalks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville