Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 08:27 PM

5 posts, read 9,330 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My husband and I have been wanting to move South now for five years. We first looked into VA and liked the sounds of Roanoke County. We recently have wanted to look into East TN also. We still have not made any trips to either area, within the past 5 years we have had two children. The youngest is finally at an age where taking a road trip is a little more possible.

OK, here is a little info on who we are (I know everyone does this and we're mainly all yankees...hope you all aren't tired of answering questions!) My husband is 25, I am 24. We have two boys, ages 4 and 2. We live in South Jersey (I cringe as I write that because I know what everyone thinks of Jersians!). He works in a supermarket (an asst produce manager) and makes an average of $35,000/yr. I am a stay at home mother. We have a 3bdr/1bath rancher with very little extra land. We bought our house for $150,000 and pay about $4500/yr in property taxes.

Now here is what we are looking for...
We want to keep pretty much the same life style but in a slower paced, more friendly enviroment. We live in a suburb now and wouldn't mind living in a suburb down south. We want more land than we currently have but nothing too rural. Maybe something like an acre or two about a half hour or so away from the city. I just need advice on what suburbs you guys reccommend looking into... maybe somewhere around the knoxville area? Also, since my husband works for a supermarket, which ones are the nicest in the area and how is the pay (approximately)?

Thank you so much to everyone who takes the time to answer my post!
We want to make this a reality and are planning a trip in the Spring of next year but need to narrow it down a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 08:48 PM

Any opinions on Crossroads or Corryton?

Old 06-23-2010, 09:53 PM
BRH

99 posts, read 347,627 times
I also like the Roanoke area, and if you like that area, you would probably enjoy Knoxville and East TN. Knoxville has a similar feel (more of an Appalachian type vibe than a deep south one. Knoxville has always reminded me more of cities along the spine of the Appalachians, like Roanoke, Pittsburgh, Charleston WV, etc., instead of more southern cities).

As far as housing goes, you should easily be able to find a decent home that meets your needs in the 150k range. Also, you will definitely enjoy much lower taxes (a 3bd room rancher in that price range would be nowhere near $4500 a year in taxes here. Probably more like $800 to $1500 depending on whether you have just county taxes or both county and city.) Also, there is no state income tax in TN But be prepared to make up some of the difference in sales tax. Since we have lower property taxes, no income taxes, and low vehicle registration costs (around $25 to $70 a year depending on county), we make up for it with a high sales tax rate (around 9.75 to 10%, and 8.25% or so on food). The sales tax is a big shocker to some, but it still ends up being cheaper in the long run than extremely high property and income taxes.

As far as grocery store prospects go; I'm not sure what the average salary for a produce manager would be in the area. But the main grocery stores you would want to look into would be Kroger, Food City, and Ingles. There are also a few Food Lions left. You might also want to check into the more upscale/organic grocery chains in the area as well. Those would be Earth Fare and Fresh Market. Oh, and there's also Wal-Mart SuperCenters and SuperTarget that have full line grocery stores in their locations as well.

The different communities would really depend on your own personal tastes. The best way to decide would be to do as much research as you can, and then do a lot of driving around when you visit to get the feel for the areas you like best. There are houses in your range in all directions within the 30 minute range you are looking for. I personally like the Loudon County area a lot. You would find houses that fit your description and land needs for your price point, and it would be anywhere from 10 min. to 30 min. to West Knoxville (the area of the city with the most shopping, businesses, and entertainment options). You might look at Lenoir City or Loudon in Loudon County. I would also look at Maryville and Alcoa in Blount Co., Kingston in Roane Co., Sweetwater in upper Monroe Co., and Oak Ridge in Anderson Co. But as I said, it really all depends on your own personal tastes. Just do a lot of reading and looking at listings and then drive around the different outlying counties when you visit. Also, I wouldn't elimate living in Knoxville or Knox County itself. Even though it is a decent size city, there are also areas of the city and especially the county that have rural or suburban feels.

Good luck in your search and your visit. I'm sure you'll feel welcomed. (Plenty of other Jersey and Northeastern folks in the area, so you won't be alone.). Also, you'll find the area is very welcoming of people from anywhere and most folks are laid back and have a live and let live attitude. Hope you find what you are looking for and enjoy your visit.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:18 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
Spot on, BRH.

I have a house assessed at $124,000 and my taxes are $1300 and that is both city and county, although we get services for paying extra. County would be about $600.

I would stick with Knox County. That acreage can be had out in our suburbs. Ten minutes from downtown Knoxville you can easily start getting rural.

I think you mean Halls Crossroads which isn't too bad. That's still Knox County. Corryton can be somewhat of a commute and even more rural.

I like Knox County, Oak Ridge, Maryville and Seymour.

Our tax burden is 44th in the nation, which means that only 6 other states have it better. Sales tax is high but we barely pay taxes for anything else and come out ahead.

Electric will probably be a lot less, too, so heating and air will be a breeze.

People are friendly, traffic is light and drivers are polite.

Folks are very welcoming. I'm from the northeast, too.

Cost of living is low, low, low. However, I do not know how much an assistant produce manager is paid, but I but it is less, perhaps much less, than Jersey. You should know that going in.

You can get a nice house for $150,000.

Basically, I am just backing what BRH already wrote and I'm sure he did a better job!

Old 06-27-2010, 08:20 AM

I have been looking into staying in The Luxbury Inn & Suites in Maryville. Has anyone stayed here or been here that could let me know if it is a good place to stay?

Old 06-27-2010, 01:48 PM

7 posts, read 16,102 times
White Pine in Jefferson County (the part closer to Douglas Lake) is also a nice area. Although we are selling our home now to get closer to the mountains, we have lived there almost four years and it's a great area with wonderful views.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:02 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
White Pine has less than 2,000 people and employment could be an issue. The OP says they don't want anything too rural. White Pine is very, very rural.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:07 PM

7 posts, read 16,102 times
I find it amusing that many commenters are Real Estate agents who market areas other than the ones being discussed. LOL. It's all about money, right?

Let me please correct my post please: "Go to Knoxville, it's a wonderful area, very, very safe, with lots of people obsessed with money and full of high paying jobs".

Old 06-27-2010, 02:13 PM

745 posts, read 1,720,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualmusic View Post
I find it amusing that many commenters are Real Estate agents who market areas other than the ones being discussed. LOL. It's all about money, right?

Let me please correct my post please: "Go to Knoxville, it's a wonderful area, very, very safe, with lots of people obsessed with money and full of high paying jobs".
Just a bit sardonic with your reply, and incorrect I might add.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:24 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,351,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualmusic View Post

I'm not a real estate agent nor am I obsessed with money. If anyone is marketing an area, it seems to be you, mentioning that your moving and selling a house.

The OP said they didn't want rural and White Pine is rural and in this case Knoxville is a better suggestion.

Pam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville