Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 10:06 AM

14 posts, read 26,017 times

Advertisements

Is powell a good area for a family, schools?..Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 11:43 AM

610 posts, read 1,623,163 times
Yes, it's more rural than bordering Knoxville and Powell schools run the same curriculum as Knoxville. The housing market is cheaper, and the land is gorgeous. Plenty of access to shopping on Clinton Highway.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:22 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I agree with airen. It is suburban/rural. Nice area. We rented just north of there for our first three years, in a very rural area. It's about 15 minutes to downtown and a few minutes more to West Knoxville.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:39 PM

340 posts, read 1,188,672 times
We lived in Powell for a year too, in a rural area.

We really liked the community. It's family oriented.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:27 PM

187 posts, read 460,153 times
I'm just wondering what "rural" means to everyone cause Powell now days isn't really rural at all...The only rural areas of Powell is the Copeland and Sharp Rd areas,And even then theres still subdivsions all over the place on those roads,And still only a mile or so from the main drag...The more rural areas people are probably counting as Powell isn't really Powell...Raccoon Valley and Heiskell would be the most rural of areas here,But most of Raccoon Valley is in Anderson Co not Knox,And Heiskell is actually its own town as it does have its own post office....Powell is actually the 2nd fastest growing part in Knox Co....New subdivisions,Apts,condos and shops are popping up all over Powell

The schools are decent...I went to Powell for awhile and Karns....Powell was a year behind Karns when i went there...Everything i learned at Karns in the 6th grade...I had in the 7th grade at Powell....The schools are safer now than they were when i went there back in 96-99...The whole Columbine incident made alot of schools unsafe..I know Powell had quite a few bomb scares in the day,But since then safety is a big priority for all Knox Co schools...Every middle and high school in Knox co has atleast 2 or 3 cops who stay at the school everyday til school lets out,And they do alot more random locker and parking lot searches with the K9's as well...Steve Griffin,The head of security of Knox Co schools actually lives in Powell and he's at Powell high quite alot personally..He's a really nice guy and he will tell you the good and bad of every school in Knox Co. straight up....But yeah Powell schools are fine...The only real problem with Powell high students is they can't drive...Seriously they all think there Nascar drivers as soon as they get there DL...Way to many deaths here on the roads in the 18-25 age range...I think its up to around 30 or so deaths now just in the last 10-15 years

Old 08-28-2010, 12:58 PM

14 posts, read 26,017 times
Thanks for the replies!...Hondaguy, you seem really intuned to things, would you think west knoxville area schools are a tad better than the ones in Powell?...

Old 08-28-2010, 01:34 PM

745 posts, read 1,718,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaguy83 View Post
I'm just wondering what "rural" means to everyone cause Powell now days isn't really rural at all...The only rural areas of Powell is the Copeland and Sharp Rd areas,And even then theres still subdivsions all over the place on those roads,And still only a mile or so from the main drag...The more rural areas people are probably counting as Powell isn't really Powell...Raccoon Valley and Heiskell would be the most rural of areas here,But most of Raccoon Valley is in Anderson Co not Knox,And Heiskell is actually its own town as it does have its own post office....Powell is actually the 2nd fastest growing part in Knox Co....New subdivisions,Apts,condos and shops are popping up all over Powell

The schools are decent...I went to Powell for awhile and Karns....Powell was a year behind Karns when i went there...Everything i learned at Karns in the 6th grade...I had in the 7th grade at Powell....The schools are safer now than they were when i went there back in 96-99...The whole Columbine incident made alot of schools unsafe..I know Powell had quite a few bomb scares in the day,But since then safety is a big priority for all Knox Co schools...Every middle and high school in Knox co has atleast 2 or 3 cops who stay at the school everyday til school lets out,And they do alot more random locker and parking lot searches with the K9's as well...Steve Griffin,The head of security of Knox Co schools actually lives in Powell and he's at Powell high quite alot personally..He's a really nice guy and he will tell you the good and bad of every school in Knox Co. straight up....But yeah Powell schools are fine...The only real problem with Powell high students is they can't drive...Seriously they all think there Nascar drivers as soon as they get there DL...Way to many deaths here on the roads in the 18-25 age range...I think its up to around 30 or so deaths now just in the last 10-15 years
Beg to differ a bit. What has historically been considered Powell still has quite a bit of rural areas. Powell is pretty spread out actually and is more than what one sees as they drive down Emory Rd. Secondly, Heiskell is not a town. Merely having a post office does not qualify a community as a town, Heiskell being a community. Powell also has a post office and is just a community/suburb.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunna123 View Post
Thanks for the replies!...Hondaguy, you seem really intuned to things, would you think west knoxville area schools are a tad better than the ones in Powell?...

While Farragut and West high seems to be ranked higher overall than Powell high...I personally wouldn't choose Farragut or West over Powell...Farragut is the rich school and its pretty overcrowded as well....West is really diversed,Which may or may not be a good thing depending on how you look at it...Its also more of a lower income school too...Not thats a bad thing tho..Just saying it does have some students who do live in the inner city areas of Knox....Powell is a good academic school and its also quite safe now too with all the school resource officers at the schools in Knox Co....Almost all Knox co. schools are safer now than they were like 10-15 years ago...The new Hardin Valley schools would be the only schools in West Knox i would consider if i were to chose West Knox over Powell...Most of the schools in West Knox are pretty overcrowded,And Powell would have a better student to teacher ratio than any school in West Knox would

Old 08-28-2010, 05:54 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Hondaguy, once again, please cite references. I can't find anything that says Powell is the fastest growing community of Knoxville.

It could be, but I just don't know. I prefer dealing with facts, though. Shooting out info off the top of one's head is not very useful to anyone.

The only thing I could find was this, and it doesn't support your assumption: http://archive.knoxmpc.org/schools/s...4/zone_rep.pdf

Yes, as Wesigarber said, Heiskell and Powell are communities in Knoxville. They are not towns.

By the way, Powell has a density level of 671 people per square mile which makes it firmly rural, but I tend to see it as suburban/rural since there are some subdivisions.

Knox County uses the same curiculum, no matter what school you are in. Different grades don't teach different curiculum unless you were in a special class.

West and Farragut are consistently named some of the best schools in the country by US News and World Report and Newsweek. West may have disadvantaged students, but it also has some of the wealthiest students in the county, and no, not all of Seqouyah's residents go to private school.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Hondaguy, once again, please cite references. I can't find anything that says Powell is the fastest growing community of Knoxville.

It could be, but I just don't know. I prefer dealing with facts, though. Shooting out info off the top of one's head is not very useful to anyone.

The only thing I could find was this, and it doesn't support your assumption: http://archive.knoxmpc.org/schools/s...4/zone_rep.pdf

Yes, as Wesigarber said, Heiskell and Powell are communities in Knoxville. They are not towns.

By the way, Powell has a density level of 671 people per square mile which makes it firmly rural, but I tend to see it as suburban/rural since there are some subdivisions.

Knox County uses the same curiculum, no matter what school you are in. Different grades don't teach different curiculum unless you were in a special class.

West and Farragut are consistently named some of the best schools in the country by US News and World Report and Newsweek. West may have disadvantaged students, but it also has some of the wealthiest students in the county, and no, not all of Seqouyah's residents go to private school.

Are you serious? That link was from 2004...Powell has grown alot since 2004,And i do mean alot....6 Years ago Powell didn't have anything but a Walmart Target and a few grocery stores...Look at it now,And its still growing....I got my facts from my real estate agent who happens to live down the street from me as well and also it was on the news awhile back when they were talking about the adding on of Powell Middle...I never said Powell was the fastest growing part of Knox...I said the 2nd,Cause we all know that Farragut is the fastest with Turkey Creek and all still booming....And once again the more rural parts of Heiskell is in Anderson Co. not Knox...Get a map or something....Heiskell Road is in Powell,Not the town/community of Heiskell itself...

Fairview Elementary School in Heiskell, Tennessee / TN

That link is all i could find,But its from a school in Heiskell and it does say its part of Anderson county

Me and my brother both went to Powell and Karns...And we both weren't in any special classes either...He was in the Top 20 of his class and i was in the Top 50 of mine...And like i said what i had at Karns in the 6th grade i was having at Powell in the 7th...Idk why that was,But it was the same way with my brother as well when he went there in elementary and middle,But high school wasn't like that...Just Elementary and Middle school

And like i said about West...Its pretty diversed overall...Meaning it has whites,blacks,asians,mexicans,poor and rich kids all under one roof...Its not a bad school by any means,But Powell high is just as good academic wise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville