Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 06:05 PM

11,138 posts, read 9,773,353 times

Advertisements

Barking Spider...what a great post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 08:53 PM

11 posts, read 22,154 times
Well,

I t's been a while I have been dodging the axe. Well the axe found me last friday and now I have a choice, I can stay in Ca. and pay out of my life savings of 60K my 2K rent and other bills and **** it away to homelessness because the jobs are none and the costs are high, Or I can move to eastern Tn. rent a place and start to look for a property to buy and live out my life fishing and hunting and growing a garden. If I buy a place I should be able to find enough work for food and utilities and prop. taxes Im an easy going demolition guy who wants to live and not worry about being homeless and I think that I am a california guy who should be from TN I hope my future neighbord there feel the same way.

Wish me luck

Russ T.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:51 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
In my heart I'm quite sure I'm a Southerner. It just took me a long time to find my way home.

Sorry about your job loss. I hope everything works out. I'd try to find a job before I'd move anywhere, though.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:02 PM

11,138 posts, read 9,773,353 times
Good luck Russ. I really mean that, I hope you will find a great future, and sorry about that axe. I am glad you are taking the advice to rent for at least a few months. You say you have 2 choices, stay in Cali or move to Tenn. Really you have a gazillion choices, the world is a big place. While I am looking forward to living in Tenn, I don't think you have to limit your choices like that. Hope you find your heart's desire.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:44 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,240,678 times
I'm sorry to hear about your job Russ, but maybe that is the sign you needed to get the heck outta-dodge. Sounds like you needed a push! lol I did that last Sept. to Mo., and its been great. I'm in a town of 400, and its slow & friendly here. I got to the point I hated Ca..I know its wonderful in some ways, but in my neighborhood, the oldies were being pushed out. Good luck to you & I hope you keep us updated.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:19 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,939,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SikofSoCal View Post
Well,

I t's been a while I have been dodging the axe. Well the axe found me last friday and now I have a choice, I can stay in Ca. and pay out of my life savings of 60K my 2K rent and other bills and **** it away to homelessness because the jobs are none and the costs are high, Or I can move to eastern Tn. rent a place and start to look for a property to buy and live out my life fishing and hunting and growing a garden. If I buy a place I should be able to find enough work for food and utilities and prop. taxes Im an easy going demolition guy who wants to live and not worry about being homeless and I think that I am a california guy who should be from TN I hope my future neighbord there feel the same way.

Wish me luck

Russ T.
Good luck & keep us posted. We also live in So CA & trying to decide on moving to E. TN. I'll tell you though, if my husband lost his job here, we would be on our way to TN, job or no job. There's more work there then in CA.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:11 AM

2 posts, read 3,958 times
I am about 40 miles away from Morgan co. With the market here now, you should find something decent for around 50K. Maybe not three acres but decent. It would be way better to be without a job and 50k here than in CA.
I think go for it. Look in Fentress county and surrounding area also. It is a beautiful place. I live in Cumberland Co, but the retirees have driven prices up here. Check out Onieda. Goodluck.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:37 PM

3 posts, read 3,357 times
Default Barking Spider

[quote=Barking Spider;16277184]I was born in So CA and lived there until I moved to Knoxville in 1994. I was in my mid 40's when I moved here.

Traffic is one of the main reasons we left CA.

wife was in outside sales and had a large territory. She spent all her time on the freeways. Way too much stress.

Crowds were another reason we left CA. EVERYTHING was crowded!

The cost of living is the final reason we decided to leave CA.

The good parts of CA are sometimes obvious. There are so many opportunities, in careers and things to do. There are several large amusement parks, several pro sports teams in all the sports, mountains, beaches, hunting, fishing, well......... everything. That's the good. The bad list is just as long: gangs, drugs, illegals, crime, poverty, high taxes, etc.
quote]
Great post! I am in the same boat as you and your wife, just a few years behind...
My wife and I love the obvious things about CA, mostly the weather. We are natives so we have a lot of friends here. We are at a point now where we would trade the good due to all the bad; traffic, current politics, illegals, high cost of living, did I mention traffic? We have done a ton of internet searching and have pretty much narrowed Knoxville down to a place we would like to vacation to see if we feel we could live there. The people on this forum seem great... down to Earth, kind, friendly, etc. Only concern would be finding a job.
How is that for a guy in outside sales, from CA?

Old 10-14-2011, 09:25 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,310,197 times
We just got back from a trip to CA. Wife and daughter flew into San Francisco stayed a couple days, then drove down the coast. I met up with them in Orange County. We hung out a day with old friends then headed down to San Diego (daughter had a birthday surprise for me with a night at the Hotel Del Coronado), then drove back to Orange County and flew home.

I could not believe the traffic. It is so much worse than when we left in 94. I would blow my brains out if I had to drive those freeways like I used to.

While I miss the Sierras, I wouldn't go back for anything.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:22 AM

3 posts, read 3,357 times
Default SoCal traffic

You are so right... the population growth in OC is crazy. The traffic is unbearable. We have great weather and a lot of things to do, but it stops there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville