Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 09:32 PM

170 posts, read 347,397 times

Advertisements

[quote=California4Now;21272309]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I was born in So CA and lived there until I moved to Knoxville in 1994. I was in my mid 40's when I moved here.

Traffic is one of the main reasons we left CA.

wife was in outside sales and had a large territory. She spent all her time on the freeways. Way too much stress.

Crowds were another reason we left CA. EVERYTHING was crowded!

The cost of living is the final reason we decided to leave CA.

The good parts of CA are sometimes obvious. There are so many opportunities, in careers and things to do. There are several large amusement parks, several pro sports teams in all the sports, mountains, beaches, hunting, fishing, well......... everything. That's the good. The bad list is just as long: gangs, drugs, illegals, crime, poverty, high taxes, etc.
quote]
Great post! I am in the same boat as you and your wife, just a few years behind...
My wife and I love the obvious things about CA, mostly the weather. We are natives so we have a lot of friends here. We are at a point now where we would trade the good due to all the bad; traffic, current politics, illegals, high cost of living, did I mention traffic? We have done a ton of internet searching and have pretty much narrowed Knoxville down to a place we would like to vacation to see if we feel we could live there. The people on this forum seem great... down to Earth, kind, friendly, etc. Only concern would be finding a job.
How is that for a guy in outside sales, from CA?
Not sure if you ever made your move, not sure if you're still reading this thread. If so, I could get you a sales job and have you up and running in 3 weeks. First year would be 50-75k which is really good in East Tennessee. After that you would be pulling 100k year being that you have a sales background. My email is mr.coffey34@gmail.com
This goes for anyone needing work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 08:54 AM

487 posts, read 1,357,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SikofSoCal View Post
Hello Tennessee,

I am currently living in So. California I have lived here all 48 of my years. I am ready to go to a place where the people still talk to there neighbors and it doesn't take 2 hours to get a a job. Can anybody help me with some advice on where a good place to move to in Tennessee might be. Im looking and hoping to live in the country outside of the big city. I can commute a little to a job if required. I have about 50K to buy a house with 1-3 acres hopefully it's enough thats what I have. It's just my roommate of 15 years and myself and she wants to move to the tennessee country more than me. I'm easy to get along with and I think I would get along great with the locals. If anybody has any good suggestions for me on where to look that would be greatly appreciated, I have looked through 100's of realestate listings but I don't know the good areas from the bad areas, the one thing I know is I want to be in an area with no history at all of flooding.

Thanks for listning and for your help

Russ Taylor

SikofSoCal

I think your best bet will be to look for that 2-3 acre place with a nice Mobil home. I believe that will be dooable for the 50K price. That will get you here and once here you can get a job, save up some more money, and build a small house yourself on property you already own free and clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville