Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2012, 07:34 PM

9 posts, read 14,457 times

Advertisements

We live right outside Savannah, GA and absolutely hate the weather! We want to raise our kids somewhere with 4 seasons!

My husband is active duty army and will get out this may, and then we would like to move to a mountain area town/city.... (we would be open to any mountain area with four seasons, racially diverse, and great school system in NC, SC, TN, or GA).
Here is our issue, I just graduated in December here with my RN/BSN. If we dont move this year, we will move in 2 years, I just got offered a job in NICU and will have to commit to a 2 year residency program. Would have to be a reasonable distance to a hospital, preferably with a childrens hospital.

My oldest will also be going into Middle School next school year. He plays every sport and is quite a little football star! I would love to put him in a Christian School, but really need one that really has competitive sports to include football. There is a geat school here called Savannah Christian. They compete against all the public schools in the area, and even went to state. I think its great for a Chirsitan school to be on such a competitive grounds with sports. But if no private/Christian school, maybe just a VERY GOOD public school system.

We are also a bi-racial family. I don't want to move my family to a place that is not going to be accepting.

We love small town life, but would like to be near enough to everything such as healthcare system, shopping etc as well.
Long list of wants I know!
We just visited Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area and loved it! I know thats more of "touristy" areas, but something similar would be nice. I heard Johnston City Kingsport areas or Knoxville may be better for us, because may be more racially diverse. But then also heard there is some big drug problems too. I know only those who live in the areas can really tell me where a GREAT place to raise a family could be, with good schools, and little crime and drugs. We live in a perfect town now, called Richmond Hill, which has all that, except we just LOVE the mountains and weather in TN!

Thanks to anyone who has some good adivce, I really appreciate it!!!
Thanks so much for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 05:50 AM

31 posts, read 105,582 times
Hey Cammy82,
I live in the Knoxville area, my husband and we moved to a small town in East TN in May 2010. We also moved from the Georgetown area of Savannah GA. We too are of mixed race. First off we found the people of TN to be way more accepting of our bi-racial marrage than we did in Savannah. Second I too am a nurse of 18+ years. So now that you know I completely unstand you situation. I'll give you my opinion of things here. There is a prescription drug abuse and Meth problem here, but after working the last in the ER for last 12 years. it's kinda everywhere. (I've worked in 6 different states) That's the bad. The good people are nice here, kinda let you do your own thing type. You'll need to live in Knoxville to have access to choice schools and shopping. South Knoxville tends to have more crime. There's a great hospital here "Children's", with you being a new grad may have a better chance at finding a job, me I took a big cut in pay moving here, it was worth it to us. Although the market is tight here. So, if I were you, I look for a job before you make the move. We love it here and don't plan to ever move again. thank goodness, I'm tired. Anyway good luck in your hunt for mountain living.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:22 AM

135 posts, read 293,521 times
Greenville County, SC. Great area and will not judge with bi-racial family. Amazing school systems there and they are BIGGER than our school systems here in East Tennessee. I marvel at how huge their schools are there. Beautiful area and not a tourist place like here (not THAT BAD anyways). My husband is from Greer (Greenville County) and to me that is a perfect place to raise a family and have the mountains and everything else minus the tourist and the off season. They have work year round unlike here. I try to direct people away from East Tennessee because of the tourists and how we have off seasons. Greenville County, SC is a great place that doesn't have those negative traits. And of course there is church after church there like here and I believe they have good Christian schools there as well.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:54 PM

62 posts, read 189,821 times
Default Maryville or Knoxville

Cammy82,

Maryville, TN has an excellent public school system and has a stellar sports program. I describe it as a "sleepy urban" town... It's close to the Smokies, Pigeon Forge, etc.

Knoxville, TN has several excellent public schools and several Christian schools. My daughter is starting kindergarten at Christian Academy of Knoxville. They also have a stellar sports program.

Both Maryville and Knoxville have great access to shopping, great schools, and excellent hospitals. We go to the mountains often...it's usually a 45 min drive for us from West Knoxville.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:54 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
I want to remind Lisa Carol that Sevier County may be tourist country but Knox County certainly is not. The two are like night and day.

The meth issue is more in the rural areas. Not sure about prescription drugs.

I'm a transplant that lives in Knoxville and LOVES it. I'm originally from New England. I have a daughter in the Knox County schools and they are wonderful. Excellent healthcare around here. I strongly suggest you check out Children's Hospital.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:47 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
A mixed couple I spoke with said they felt most accepted in West Knoxville. That's the location of Knoxville Christian academy soit would be a good place to start your search once you have a job lined up.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:57 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,389,653 times
Hey Cammy82, great choices await and Knoxville is very accepting and we have several Christian Schools and each have great sports programs. The Childrens Hospital is great and you could probably intern there as well. Good luck in chosing and probably need to just tour the different areas, to see what feels best for you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville