Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 12:56 PM

6 posts, read 10,019 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My husband and I are relocating with our three daughters to the Farragut area this summer. We've seen a few homes in the area-- all the areas are so pretty and we saw quite a few houses we liked, so I suppose we are looking to narrow it down now based on individual schools. My daughters are 5.5, 3.5 and 6 months, and my oldest daughter is a gifted learner with an IEP in place in her current kindergarten classroom. I would like to keep us zoned for Farragut HS. Is there a certain elementary school anyone would recommend over another? I noticed Farragut Primary is k-2, which could prove challenging once my other girls are school age, because I could conceivably have three kids in three different schools at the same time at pick up😨, and also because I would like my girls to stay together if possible. I also like a warm and fuzzy atmosphere for elementary, but ultimately we want them in a challenging atmosphere too. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you 😀
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 05:12 PM

363 posts, read 482,462 times
There is Farragut Primary which is located off of Campbell Station that serves K-2 and then there is Farragut Elementary, Middle and High School which are right next to each other so technically, you would only be going between two areas of town and they are literally 5 minutes from each other. Other than that, you'd be looking at private schools because there are no other schools in that area.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:19 AM

Thank you for the response! I didn't know the schools were so close to each other, so that is a relief!👍👍 Our realtor showed us a few houses with Northshore and AL Lots as the elementary but still zoned for Franklin HS-- is that wrong? I would hate to consider houses outside of the Franklin HS zone. If those schools do serve Farragut, any idea about them? Thanks😁

Old 05-11-2017, 09:28 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogearer View Post
Thank you for the response! I didn't know the schools were so close to each other, so that is a relief!👍👍 Our realtor showed us a few houses with Northshore and AL Lots as the elementary but still zoned for Franklin HS-- is that wrong? I would hate to consider houses outside of the Franklin HS zone. If those schools do serve Farragut, any idea about them? Thanks😁
There isn't a Franklin. Do you mean Farragut?

By the way, the Hardin Valley and Bearden schools are excellent as well. I happen to think AL Lotts is a great school, too, along with many others in Knox County.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:46 PM

21 posts, read 30,479 times
I was just in Knoxville to consider the area for relocation. I did some school research and can advise you to peruse the Knox County School System website. There are some boundaries that will be changed - this is noted on the website - may not affect areas you are considering. Also, they have a function where you can input an exact address and see what schools that address is assigned to. I did end up calling the district office and they were helpful with a few questions of clarification that I had, and when I called and spoke with the guidance counselor at Hardin Valley, she was helpful in understanding their system (look at the website, as Hardin Valley has a unique optional structure for those desiring something more like focus areas or areas of concentration). Anyway, can't stress enough calling the source for the best, most accurate info. Also, always double check what the realtor tells you - verify that an address is assigned to the school(s) you want your kids to attend. Good Luck!

Old 05-17-2017, 10:35 AM

Thanks everyone! Yes, I meant Farragut HS �� we were looking at Franklin in Nashville as well, but really fell in love with Eastern TN. I guess my brain is a bit tired from all the looking LOL. I read they were rezoning -- I will be sure to call the source directly. We currently live in an area zoned for one of the best elementary schools in our state. As impressive as this school is, I was hesitant to send our daughter there at first, despite her being a motivated, gifted learner, because I wanted her to have a warm atmosphere rather than just a competitive environment. I don't mind that type of atmosphere for older children but prefer a gentler atmosphere at the elementary level, so long as the academics aren't compromised in the process. I have seen elementary children at some schools become nervous wrecks from the pressure, whether they are gifted learners, average or slower...the atmosphere of some schools seems to deprive little kids of, well, being little kids. �� In that regard, are any of the elementary schools particularly cutthroat or competitive? Thanks again!

Old 05-17-2017, 10:50 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogearer View Post
Thanks everyone! Yes, I meant Farragut HS �� we were looking at Franklin in Nashville as well, but really fell in love with Eastern TN. I guess my brain is a bit tired from all the looking LOL. I read they were rezoning -- I will be sure to call the source directly. We currently live in an area zoned for one of the best elementary schools in our state. As impressive as this school is, I was hesitant to send our daughter there at first, despite her being a motivated, gifted learner, because I wanted her to have a warm atmosphere rather than just a competitive environment. I don't mind that type of atmosphere for older children but prefer a gentler atmosphere at the elementary level, so long as the academics aren't compromised in the process. I have seen elementary children at some schools become nervous wrecks from the pressure, whether they are gifted learners, average or slower...the atmosphere of some schools seems to deprive little kids of, well, being little kids. �� In that regard, are any of the elementary schools particularly cutthroat or competitive? Thanks again!
My grandson is finishing 3rd grade at Farragut elementary. Son and family moved there prior to grandsons 2nd grade.

I get what you mean by a gentle atmosphere. My grandson needed this gentle environment and he has prospered under the kind environment. He joined the chess club in 2nd grade which was a stretch for him socially but it opened him up in so many ways. It worked for him

I am a fan of Farragut.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:07 AM

Thank you theoldnorthstate! Very helpful to know a gentle soul can thrive at Farragut elementary. Luckily, there is a bunch for sale in that school zone. Thanks again 😀

Old 05-26-2017, 10:25 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,661 times
The Farragut schools (primary, intermediate, middle, high school) are all right next to each other (Intermediate, middle and high school are all on the same property, primary is across and down the street a little bit) and they stagger the times so it isn't a problem with multiple kids in the various schools. I did it with my two kids, 4 years apart, and it wasn't an issue at all. Farragut schools are excellent and it is very convenient that all the schools are right there together.

Last edited by High Altitude; 05-26-2017 at 10:38 PM..

Old 05-27-2017, 01:39 PM

Oh that's great to know!! Thank you so much High Altitude!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville