Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 01:49 PM

745 posts, read 1,727,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb62676 View Post

The houses we looked at in Broadacres were all WAY, WAY overpriced for what they were and how much work they needed...yet, they are selling. It's baffling to me.
The oldest houses in Broadacres date to the late 1960's, so it is a bit understandable that some of them might need some work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 01:56 PM

592 posts, read 2,145,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
The oldest houses in Broadacres date to the late 1960's, so it is a bit understandable that some of them might need some work.
True, but the feeling was that they were priced as though they had been totally updated, or in some cases, maintained at all.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:06 PM
Eat

303 posts, read 1,145,935 times
Quote:
Yep, I get that. What I don't understand is how it's different. On the perimeter of our "foundation" there is a thin layer of concrete or something that looks very similar to what I've seen in poured concrete foundations...so I would think you'd see the trails in either one.

A slab home is an entirely different animal to me. I would definitely take a crawl space over a slab home for many reasons. At least with a crawl space, you can get to piping, etc...with relative ease.

This all reminds me, I'm pretty certain we've got a critter (probably a stray cat) living under our house in the crawl space. I need to look into that.
I'm told they prefer to build dirt tubes, which are quite visible in a crawlspace. However, they will also go up cracks inside the concrete/concrete blocks in a full basement or a slab, especially a slab, and you will not see them.

My foundation preference in order.....

Walkout basement
Full basement
Partial basement
Crawlspace
Bilge
Nylon tent
Bare dirt
Wooden boards
Cactus
Slab

Old 04-13-2008, 02:08 PM
Eat

Quote:

This all reminds me, I'm pretty certain we've got a critter (probably a stray cat) living under our house in the crawl space. I need to look into that.
Pray that it isn't a nesting skunk.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat View Post
Pray that it isn't a nesting skunk.
99% sure it's a cat as we've seen it under there before and thought we were rid of it.

I hope like crazy it's not something else.

Also, anyone know of any remedies to make sure you don't get snakes in there?

From your post above, it looks like we have similar tastes in foundations.

As for the termites, when I've seen problems, you can usually see the dirt "trails" going up the foundation, from the outside (in my experience). Now I understand what you're saying about going through the concrete though...if they come up from beneath the house and don't necessarily go up exterior foundation walls.

Moving here has certainly been a learning experience for us. We like it, but there are certainly aspects of "home" that we miss. Abundant walk-out basements being one. I don't, however miss the weather. That being said, what's happened this weekend is eerily familiar!

Old 04-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Eat

Try a live catch trap baited with cat food. Some cats will not go in, but others will not. Most other critters aren't that smart. Tractor Supply stores carry them at reasonable prices. Whatever you catch, take it to Animal Control and let them deal with it.

Needless to say, don't stick your fingers in the cage. Not even with gloves on.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:31 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,403,694 times
Slab homes were a big problem years ago when the water supply pipes were galvanized and the waste pipes were cast iron. Both types of pipes had a much shorter life span (than newer materials), so when repairs/replacement time came up, it was a BIG problem.

When PVC started being used for waste pipes and copper for supply (fresh water) things started looking up, since the life span is much much longer.

That said, slab homes are a bigger problem when repairs or renovations are needed. They are usually harder on your feet (to walk on), and the floors will be colder.

Wood frame flooring (crawlspace or basement (main floor) will be easier on your feet, and allows much easier access to make repairs or renovations with not only plumbing, but electrical and heating and air conditioning systems. One down side is floor squeaks.

Termites can be easier to detect with a crawlspace, however you don't always see the mud tubes on the foundation walls. They will sometimes find their way to the wood through the middle of the foundation, or in the wall cavity between the exterior wall finish material and the inside wall material. I have seen tubes on the bottom of the subflooring after I have pulled away the floor insulation (in the crawlspace) with no signs on the foundation walls below.

With a slab house you may not see them until they make a small exit hole in the drywall or wood trim. If you know what you are looking for (once you have seen it once, you will remember), you can see the tubes going up the wall just under the paint. If you rub your finger along the blemish, you can break through the surface and trace the tubes.

If you do see mud tubes, and you break through a small section, you may see the termites spill out (not always) for a short time. Once I saw termites re-seal the tube in less than a half hour.

Eat is partially correct about a crawlspace and radon. Usually a house with a crawlspace, assuming it has good ventilation, will have lower radon readings. However, if the level of radon is high enough under the house, it can still be above the action level. I have tested several crawlspace homes that had levels close to 20 picocuries/liter (4.0 is the action level).

Basement homes have the highest probability of getting radon since there is more foundation surface in contact with the earth (walls and floor), slab homes are next highest, and crawlspace homes are the least likely.

The general Knoxville area has a fair good chance of having elevated levels of radon (about 17%).

Sorry for the thread drift

Old 04-13-2008, 05:02 PM

16,180 posts, read 32,638,592 times
I've lived in a slab home in Texas, a crawl space home in Kingsport, a tall crawl space in Farragut, a 1/2 basement 1/2 crawl space home here in Maryville and a basement home in Pittsburgh (which is actually a slab home in a way as the basement is poured on concrete).

My absolute favorite situation was the tall crawl in Farragut. There are pros and cons to each situation and house, etc.

Ok, we certainly have drifted from the original post haven't we? Perhaps I should split this off into its' own thread......

Old 04-13-2008, 05:14 PM

Tall Crawlspace would actually be a lot better than the "just barely tall enough to get around in" one we have.

But, I'm a huge fan of basement rooms for theatre purposes...

Old 04-13-2008, 05:31 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,495,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Now I see that they would be perfect for Laura. Tree huggers are welcome and there are plenty of trees to hug. You can even walk to a great fruit stand across the highway.
Tree hugger? She's a Republican!

She just doesn't like paved-over ugly. Neither do I!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville