Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 11:18 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,805,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I've lived in Karns area for over 25 years, and I have little idea of where my neighbors lean politically, not do I care. Outside of a few bumper stickers, I can only guess how people vote. I'm pretty sure not one of my neighbors, or the people at the local businesses have any idea how I vote, or who I support. As it should be.

In a group setting, if the conversation starts toward a political slant, I excuse myself and walk away for a while. I make it a point not to discuss politics or religion in a group setting. By the way, not all retired (or working) engineers, lawyers, doctors are conservative leaning. Apparently, you think that everyone in your West Knoxville area are superior conservatives, that can't tolerate anyone with a differing opinion.

I'm not going to say where I stand, but I will tell you that I respect my neighbors views and opinions, and their right to have them.
Not all engineers doctors etc are conservative leaning in west Knoxville but like most residents of Tennessee in general they usually are. The OP needs to be prepared for the reality that this is an overwhelmingly red state. It is also a very religious state. No doubt a left type person can be happy here but to do that they have to be ok with people they disagree with. It will take one day for the OP to be miserable if they see all conservatives as “deplorables” for example. If open expression of Christianity offends him then he will be unhappy here.

The only place I know of in the Knoxville area where significant progressive types as the OP called them can be found is near campus and towards the old city. Anywhere in the city would have some liberals. The rest of East Tennessee is the buckle of the Bible Belt. Lots of oversized crosses and red hats with a confederate flag here and there. That is what the OP should expect to find here.

Regardless of politics the OP best line orange too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 06:47 AM

10 posts, read 14,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
I should hope you are not perpetuating the "Trump supporters is all dumb" myth. Intellectualism does not exclude Republicans. My semi-rural West Knoxville area is largely very conservative and is chock full of retired engineers, lawyers, doctors, etc. Dumb rednecks is a class bias myth perpetuated by the "progressive and artistic." Maybe you'd be happier somewhere less diverse and only full of people who think one way?
Hey, Joe. I'm sorry you took offense to my post. I come from a politically mixed family in a deep red state, and am very aware that "intellectual types" fall on either side of the divide. In trying to maximize meaning in my short post, and with only one aim--to find my neighborhood, I indeed resorted to some handy blanket terms and ideas. My bad, and no elitism or condescension intended.

Thanks so much for the responses so far. We spent a lot of time in West Knoxville yesterday, discovering West Hills is about as far from town as we felt good about, and even then, it may be a bit too family oriented overall. The concern would be paying for better schools, higher square footage, shopping, etc. we don't need. Finished at Sequoyah Hills, which was magnificent, and priced accordingly.

Hitting Old North, Fourth and Gill, Island Home(?) and a few other recommendations we've drummed up. Will add Holston Hills as well.

Old 03-01-2020, 07:36 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
Holston Hills was developed by the same people who built Sequoyah hills so if you like that style of neighborhood it should be on your list to visit.

Note to Daniel: I see lots of baseball hats in many colors and even own a few myself but I have never seen a MAGA hat in Knoxville. Or anywhere else for that matter. Have you?

Old 03-01-2020, 07:47 AM

585 posts, read 635,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruseppi View Post
Hey, Joe. I'm sorry you took offense to my post. I come from a politically mixed family in a deep red state, and am very aware that "intellectual types" fall on either side of the divide. In trying to maximize meaning in my short post, and with only one aim--to find my neighborhood, I indeed resorted to some handy blanket terms and ideas. My bad, and no elitism or condescension intended.

Thanks so much for the responses so far. We spent a lot of time in West Knoxville yesterday, discovering West Hills is about as far from town as we felt good about, and even then, it may be a bit too family oriented overall. The concern would be paying for better schools, higher square footage, shopping, etc. we don't need. Finished at Sequoyah Hills, which was magnificent, and priced accordingly.

Hitting Old North, Fourth and Gill, Island Home(?) and a few other recommendations we've drummed up. Will add Holston Hills as well.
Hey Cruseppi,

I was not offended....ok, maybe a little. I bristle when people lump conservatives into a group of knuckle-dragging neanderthals. Myself, I have a Master's degree from a private Division I university, and am in a multi-decade mixed-race committed relationship with a retired university registrar. We are strong supporters of the current Administration, and we are not stupid. We are educated academics, maybe even (gasp) intellectuals.

I appreciate you explaining your position and approach. I respect it, and you. I understand better now what you intended with your descriptive terms. I hope you find what you are looking for. If I were in your shoes, I think I might look toward the newer lofts downtown or the houses just across the river.

Good luck.

Old 03-01-2020, 08:33 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruseppi View Post

I live in "conservative" West Knoxville and I know lots of Democrats. It reminds me of when I lived in Cobb County, GA. The Democrats and progressives were almost invisible, because they rarely spoke up thinking they were "the only ones." Most people assumed that everyone around them was conservative, just like they do here. Then I canvassed my GA county during a political campaign and was shocked at how many fellow Democrats there actually were. Parts of Knox County are like that. If you want to find kindred spirits, get involved with the Democratic Party or just keep your ears tuned when you meet people. I have been on meetup walks or out with dining groups and eventually you can pick up on who is of a similar mindset. I belong to a wonderful book club of Democratic women. We average 16 to 20 members at our monthly meeting, but our membership is over 50 people. In the 2 years I have lived here, only one person has asked me what church I attend.....my dental hygienist. Don't let other people's opinion of "conservative Tennessee" worry you. I have only lived here 2 years and have made many, many friends. You can find your place here.

Old 03-01-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Holston Hills was developed by the same people who built Sequoyah hills so if you like that style of neighborhood it should be on your list to visit.

Note to Daniel: I see lots of baseball hats in many colors and even own a few myself but I have never seen a MAGA hat in Knoxville. Or anywhere else for that matter. Have you?
Have I ever seen a MAGA hat?? Since I own one yes I have. Do I see others with them? Everyday.

Old 03-01-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I live in "conservative" West Knoxville and I know lots of Democrats. It reminds me of when I lived in Cobb County, GA. The Democrats and progressives were almost invisible, because they rarely spoke up thinking they were "the only ones." Most people assumed that everyone around them was conservative, just like they do here. Then I canvassed my GA county during a political campaign and was shocked at how many fellow Democrats there actually were. Parts of Knox County are like that. If you want to find kindred spirits, get involved with the Democratic Party or just keep your ears tuned when you meet people. I have been on meetup walks or out with dining groups and eventually you can pick up on who is of a similar mindset. I belong to a wonderful book club of Democratic women. We average 16 to 20 members at our monthly meeting, but our membership is over 50 people. In the 2 years I have lived here, only one person has asked me what church I attend.....my dental hygienist. Don't let other people's opinion of "conservative Tennessee" worry you. I have only lived here 2 years and have made many, many friends. You can find your place here.
I never suggested a liberal cannot find friends or be happy here. However to fit in or be happy as a liberal here one actually has to be a tolerant person and be aware that 70 percent of this state votes republican. Most conservatives will accept liberal friends, I do. If however you are the type of liberal who sees conservatives as deplorables or treats their views in a disrespectful way then a person like that will indeed have a rough time here. If one is offended by political incorrectness or Christianity then that individual will be offended all the time. When we have posts in here that suggest that you never see a MAGA hat we are sending the wrong message to someone who is considering this area as a place to live. The OP should know that it is a conservative area and that yes you will see MAGA hats and other conservative symbols, expression of values and open religious belief. I am not however trying discourage the OP. Most folks are fine with whatever beliefs the OP may have. This is America after all and Tennesseans believe in freedom of speech and expression, as all Americans should. Again an open minded liberal has not a thing to worry about moving here. The OP should ask themselves if they would go to a backyard cookout with someone who has a trump sticker on his car? A confederate flag? Can you handle those kinds of differences in values and still be social with someone. Of course most people don’t display their values so blatantly but the point I am trying to make is will it bother the OP to be friends with a right wing guy or gal?

Old 03-01-2020, 01:43 PM

363 posts, read 482,358 times
OP, you'll be fine. Independents, progressives, liberals, whatever, we're doing great here. Even with conservative-leaning friends and family to deal with and their ranting...

Being young with no kids, I would suggest close to downtown where the action is.

I prefer Sequoyah Hills, has a cute center life. A little expensive for a house though.

South Knox distance to downtown is great and has access to wilderness/hiking.

Farragut has great walking trails and some neighborhoods have easy access to grocery stores and other amenities but you'll have to drive downtown to enjoy a night life.

With a 200-325k budget, you will have plenty to choose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
View detailed profiles of: