Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2010, 10:35 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,780,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Hey! Happy Valentine's Day Pam and the rest of Knoxville, albeit belatedly.

What is that all about, indeed, painter. I love Knoxville's winters, but I am now officially sick of it. What kind of a ridiculous winter is this? It's 27 degrees, right now. It usually starts warming up at the beginning of March. Well, it better hurry up.

Our one consolation is if it is this cold down here, then man, it has got to be crazy brutal cold up north. Sheesh.

Hik, hands down the most continually cold winter since 95-96. That was the year that we had two heavy snowfalls back to back. UT, which never closes, started 2 weeks late. The kids living up the eastern seaboard couldn't get down here for another week after that. And guess what the next winter was like (96-97, and probably the next 6 years after that)? Yep, mild without a trace of snow... I'm with you, bring in spring. If it makes you fell any better, the flower buds on the pear trees at UT are starting to get bigger. And the daffodils are just waiting patiently! And yes, 3-4 ft of snow and blizzard conditions in DC, Maryland, and north. Roofs have been caving in from the weight of the snow. 3-4 inches in Charleston, SC, and Savannah, GA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 12:18 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitties of Domination View Post
Hik, hands down the most continually cold winter since 95-96. That was the year that we had two heavy snowfalls back to back. UT, which never closes, started 2 weeks late. The kids living up the eastern seaboard couldn't get down here for another week after that. And guess what the next winter was like (96-97, and probably the next 6 years after that)? Yep, mild without a trace of snow... I'm with you, bring in spring. If it makes you fell any better, the flower buds on the pear trees at UT are starting to get bigger. And the daffodils are just waiting patiently! And yes, 3-4 ft of snow and blizzard conditions in DC, Maryland, and north. Roofs have been caving in from the weight of the snow. 3-4 inches in Charleston, SC, and Savannah, GA.
Thank you. It warmed my heart a little.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:09 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,949 times
It sure has been crazy here and that is for sure. This morning I woke up to frost and now you only need long sleeves and the sun is bright with very blue skies. Hoping that the rain stays away for at least a week...it has been just horrible. 2009 we had 35" more than normal causing all sorts of problems. I have been following Knoxville weather, programed on the t.v, and could't believe some of the temps. Guess I will have to buy myself a winter coat WHEN I get there and some for the horses too!

Old 02-17-2010, 09:05 AM

I never thought I would think this way, but I'm hoping that today is the last I see of the flakes.

Granted, the NWS says that we have received 4 inches all season. Northerners would give anything to have that kind of snow total. But I'm over it.

It looks like highs are going back to the 40s and 50s, come Friday, and that will probably be the end of winter. Unless, of course, I just cursed the whole thing.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:49 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,144,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I never thought I would think this way, but I'm hoping that today is the last I see of the flakes.

Granted, the NWS says that we have received 4 inches all season. Northerners would give anything to have that kind of snow total. But I'm over it.

It looks like highs are going back to the 40s and 50s, come Friday, and that will probably be the end of winter. Unless, of course, I just cursed the whole thing.
If I could hiknapster, I would send all of this white DooDoo down your way just so you could enjoy it.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:12 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,780,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
It sure has been crazy here and that is for sure. This morning I woke up to frost and now you only need long sleeves and the sun is bright with very blue skies. Hoping that the rain stays away for at least a week...it has been just horrible. 2009 we had 35" more than normal causing all sorts of problems. I have been following Knoxville weather, programed on the t.v, and could't believe some of the temps. Guess I will have to buy myself a winter coat WHEN I get there and some for the horses too!

Painter, this is not the norm for Knoxville. Its usually in the 50's this time of year. You usually need a winter coat for about 3-4 weeks off and on in January and a jacket and/or sweater the rest of the winter.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:54 AM

745 posts, read 1,719,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitties of Domination View Post
Painter, this is not the norm for Knoxville. Its usually in the 50's this time of year. You usually need a winter coat for about 3-4 weeks off and on in January and a jacket and/or sweater the rest of the winter.
In fact it isn't the norm at all. Last February, 2009, there were 21 days of 50 degree or above temps, including nine days above 60 and two days above 70. That was above average for February high temps, but temps here are variable winter to winter. This February so far has been much colder than normal, as was most of January except for about ten days.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:58 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,949 times
I do not think anyone had a "normal" winter this yr. Here it was all over the place, kinda scary!
I am so looking forward to moving there that I really don't even care what the weather brings after the mess here, lol..........I'll just take what ever happens!

Old 02-19-2010, 04:56 PM

204 posts, read 580,755 times
Come on Spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My tulips, hiacynths, and daffodils have poked their heads out of the ground. Winter go away.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:58 PM

I keep buying all of these spring and Easter decor items and putting them up all over the house. I'm willing winter away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville