Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 10:29 PM

37 posts, read 117,057 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am trying to get opinions from local people about the mountain mall in Gatlinburg and your opinion on my business idea. I am considering opening a Chicago style beef/hotdog and Pizza stand in the mountain mall. The rent is kinda high but the tourist traffic is very good, at least during the vacation season. How is the traffic during the middle of winter? Is there a market there for another rest. I will be buying a current pizza business on the sight and making some changes. Also would like to know if there is a need for delivery service in the area during the off season, if there is one. Does any one out there have an opinion on the New York pizza and sub shop in the Mountain mall. Do any locals eat there or just tourists wandering the mall. Thank you for reading my post and I hope there are some people with good information and/or feedback.
Keven
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 11:00 PM

623 posts, read 1,544,567 times
I was going to say it's mainly tourist focused, but they do have a unique tobacco shop and used record store in there that has to get some local traffic, I'd think. Not sure about your question.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:40 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,669,989 times
How close is that to the outlets? You will get locals hitting the discount outlets. I usually stop for food when shopping.
You also have big tourist crowds during the fall leaf season and the Christmas Season. They go all out with lights.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:06 AM

720 posts, read 707,057 times
We have owned condos in Gatlinburg since 1995 and know where the Mall is you are refering to. From May thru July is very busy, slacks off in August and September then very busy in October and November. December is usually decent but January thru march is very slow, April is so different from year to year its hard to predict. usually you have to make enough profit in season to carry you thru the leaner months. A few locals may become regulars but don't count on them to make any business decision about your place. The tourist who have families with them are looking for "packaged" deals one decent price to feed their entire family, simple, comfortable and fast. We know that tourist are going to do two things for sure when in Gatlinburg and thats eat and sleep. I know the pizza place very well and my personal feelings are if it was given a face lift and some charisma with good food and service you should be ok. The downside is, Gatlinburg is becoming carried away with taxes and fees, but its getting that way everywhere. As far as deliveries, you probably would only want to make them in the city limits or in the immediate area because Sevier County is very rural when you leave town and distance and crooked roads are a bad combination for deliveries and sometimes the traffic is horrendous. but overall we love the area.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:31 PM

Thank you all for your responses. We have located a potential piece of land in Maryville. How bad of a drive would Maryville to Gatlinburg be every day?
Thanks again for your help.
Keven

Old 08-15-2009, 05:02 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,831,704 times
Oh boy... there are 2 ways to go from Maryville to Gatlinburg, and the shorter way - in my opinion - would take you at least an hour.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:10 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,534,811 times
This just in - there have been two rockslides near Elkmont! We are down to one long interstate way or going through Wears Valley. Both of these are not as preferable as going through the GSMNP.

I would not ever fathom making the Maryville - Gatlinburg drive everyday. That would get old very fast and is a bear in the winter.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:09 PM

374 posts, read 947,205 times
Default Driving between

Maryville and Gatlinburg on a daily basis would be a nightmare. Snow or ice in winter would make it virtually impossible. Please don't consider doing this.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:18 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,784,428 times
Snow is not uncommon in the mountains in the winter.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:00 PM

Thank you all for your input. I get the idea. I thought it could be rough in the winter.
Keven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville