Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 10:24 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,595,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiker1o View Post
Yes it is doable, my sister rides the bus to work and goes around riding the bus. She refuse to have my 2 nephews and her husband to take her to work, all of them have cars, although it is convenient at times they are able to drive her around when she is inclined to. She does not want to learn to drive at all. Goodluck with your situation.
I imagine it's just adjusting your expectations that the public transportation in Las Vegas is not going to be like NYC. I see numerous bus lines all over when I'm driving around. I bet it's doable but not the best compared to other cities.

It would be awesome if Las Vegas had a North/South light rail. Unfortunately that is money we don't have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 10:44 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
But do you like the area otherwise? If you got a car would you be happier in Vegas, or do you just not like it now that you're there? That happens sometimes in Vegas; the real Las Vegas off the strip isn't nearly as happy, fun, or glamorous most of the time.

With all due respect, life off of the strip is much more happy and fun. Perhaps not glamorous, but glamour is a facade anyway. Granted this is simply my opinion, but I assure you that most people (at least most people that I know) can't stand the strip.

Case in point, today was my furlough day so I had a 3 day weekend. I spent day one being lazy, day two doing chores, and today was family fun day. The wife, my son and I went ice skating at Las Vegas Ice Center on Flamingo and 215. Great time. Then we went to Gameworks. Absolutely miserable. So crowded, so much traffic, Gameworks doesn't even have that many games, and the place smells like it has a sewage leak. Afterwards we went back to the ice rink and my son and I played hockey for 1 1/2 hours and had an absolute blast. Afterwards we hit Lindo Michoacan for some unhealthy supper.

Please don't take this personal, but I can't stand when tourists come on the forum and try to tell prospective and new residents what Vegas is and isn't.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:52 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,595,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
With all due respect, life off of the strip is much more happy and fun. Perhaps not glamorous, but glamour is a facade anyway. Granted this is simply my opinion, but I assure you that most people (at least most people that I know) can't stand the strip.

Please don't take this personal, but I can't stand when tourists come on the forum and try to tell prospective and new residents what Vegas is and isn't.
I'm glad you posted because I was starting to think something was wrong with me since I like living in Las Vegas but rarely go to the strip.

I do however "see" the Strip, as I'm driving around, enveloped in the dirty smog cloud and think how nice the blue skies and fresh air is where I am.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:15 PM

946 posts, read 2,604,651 times
Disheartened to say the least.[/quote]

Someone (prolly from this thread!) told me that for every 1000 people who move here only 5 stick.

So git some grit in yer craw and do what you have to--this is the desert, and all that hooplaw on the strip is for tourists. Knuckle down, pay your rent and after a couple years you might be able to take a vacation. No, it's not the Vegas dream, but that's what Vegas is to most people--a mirage. For the people who live here, as you've found out, it's just damn hard work.

Best of luck, and don't quit too soon.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:44 PM

946 posts, read 2,604,651 times
I wasn't going to include this, as it is personal, but since you are need of some kick-butt motivation and I've had a few, I will brag a bit.

Long, long ago it I joined the Army. The moment of my personal awakening came during a hand-to-hand session in the XVIII Airborne Recon School (a three week mini-Ranger course). I sprained my ankle so bad the medics couldn't determine if it was broken without an Xray, which required removal from the course--and then I'd fail. So I crawled to finish the ruck runs (which started and ended with weighing a 35 pound sand bag)--if you failed any test you would bang the gates, meaning running 8 laps around the camp with weapon and rucksack after training.

Then we had a 72 hour period to keep a fire running, followed by evading the cadre to get to the rally point.

I crawled to do it, and was rewarded by a guy saying to me, a skinny high school kid, You are one tough ****. And a cadre saying to me after the next 72 hour patrolling period, "You're still here?"

I am cutting it a bit short, but I went beyond what I thought my body and mind could do--and I was rewarded for it.

That type of thing is easy to do in the military, but still allows you to be tougher than nails in civilian life. You need to have the same attitude; lots of people move to Vegas but few stick.

You need to be the one that gets out of the hand-to-hand pit with a swollen ankle, possibly broken, and crawl to meet your goal. If you are not prepared to do that, you'll go home like 95% of the other people who move here.

Vegas is not easy, and neither is life. People who move here expect their lives will change. It doesn't--you will still have the same issues as where you left from.

But at least you won't get snowed on!

Old 07-30-2010, 01:14 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasvegasnewbie View Post
I read this forum and even posted a few threads before moving here, but I'm very discouraged since moving here. The job market, I already knew that. But the bus system (currently do not own a car since I lived in New York City for 10 yrs without one) is terrible here BTW I grew up in the state of Montana and drove everywhere there, but sold my car when I moved to New York since they do have a reliable transportation system.

My apartment complex is across the street from a bus stop and around the corner from another bus line, but 20-30-60 minutes waiting time for a bus???? I didn't realize this, and wasn't smart enough to look at the "bus schedules" before moving here. Last night I waited 60 minutes for a bus (past 7pm schedule) This is crazy!! I am a single woman and do not feel safe standing waiting for a bus at some of these bus stops I know I really need a car, but how is someone suppose to buy a car, insurance, and plates and pay rent/other bills on unemployment? I don't think this place is going to work for me sadly I was used to going anywhere at any time of the day/night in New York City. I read on these forums that the bus service was slow, but didn't realize the "wait" times which are unreasonable in my opinion when you need to get somewhere, especially a job. I am sure many have been fired here for not being able to get to work on time

Disheartened to say the least.
I am wondering how long you have lived here? A year, two years? I would give it at least a year or two to see if I really hated it. I did just that almost 11 years ago.

I say to get the bus schedules and have them with you. Plan your routes where you can wait for a bus say at a Starbucks or other coffee place, or a bookstore, so you won't be standing out in the dark all alone for an hour waiting. I used to take the bus all the time in California and waiting up to an hour was not unusual. Traffic there and here can slow the bus down and they end up running late sometimes.

Life in Montana sounds great to me, since I like colder climes and wide open spaces. Life in New York would be intimidating to me, but I often wondered what it would be like to live there too. I have never lived in a major city. This is about as major as it gets here in Las Vegas.

I wish things would turn around for you. Perhaps if you landed a job, that would be a step in the right direction. Then you could save for a cheapie used car that will get you where you need to be. They are out there. You don't need anything fancy, just something reliable and that will beat the buses!
Then later on, upgrade the car.
Or, if it really is too much for you, go back to Montana for awhile and think it over. It is nice that you have a place you can go to, many other's do not have that kind of luck.
Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:16 AM

848 posts, read 1,724,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
I imagine it's just adjusting your expectations that the public transportation in Las Vegas is not going to be like NYC. I see numerous bus lines all over when I'm driving around. I bet it's doable but not the best compared to other cities.

It would be awesome if Las Vegas had a North/South light rail. Unfortunately that is money we don't have.
Yes at the moment it may not be comparable to othe cities but improving and with proper time management I don't see why one cannot live and work in Vegas without a car.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:09 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
OP...did you used to post under a different name?

Old 07-30-2010, 07:01 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I am wondering how long you have lived here? A year, two years? I would give it at least a year or two to see if I really hated it. I did just that almost 11 years ago.
If I've read her posting history correctly, she just moved here earlier this month.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:29 AM

16 posts, read 40,639 times
Well, living in Vegas without a car is challenging. I would not want to wait for a bus in the heat or deal with all the weirdos at the bus stop. Unfortunately, the car registration and insurance is expensive in NV. Well, try to hang in there. If you must, go back to Montana and get back on your feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: