Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2011, 12:52 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,569,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m73m95 View Post
Speaking of which....

Does anyone know anything about the Ferris wheel? It was supposed to start already, right? It hasn't.
I heard it's being built on area 51 instead. There's way too many aliens getting bored up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 02:36 PM

542 posts, read 986,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Those type of projects have a tendancy to go "around-and-around" before they ever take hold...IF they ever take hold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
I heard it's being built on area 51 instead. There's way too many aliens getting bored up there.
I know.....

This is killing me. I cannot believe the mayor allows companies to stop working on projects, even after bonds have been pulled (meaning the money was already in place). How can having the highest unemployment rate in the country be better than forcing corporations to finish what they started?

I know the Ferris wheel hasn't started yet, but Fountain Blue is nearly done. Echelon is a disgusting mess of rusted iron and corroding concrete. The time shares behind the Rio are the same rusting, wasting away piles of shyte. Harmon tower is going to fall down (supposedly).....

WTF?

Old 10-03-2011, 02:56 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Quote:
I know.....

This is killing me. I cannot believe the mayor allows companies to stop working on projects, even after bonds have been pulled (meaning the money was already in place). How can having the highest unemployment rate in the country be better than forcing corporations to finish what they started?

I know the Ferris wheel hasn't started yet, but Fountain Blue is nearly done. Echelon is a disgusting mess of rusted iron and corroding concrete. The time shares behind the Rio are the same rusting, wasting away piles of shyte. Harmon tower is going to fall down (supposedly).....

WTF?
Looking more and more like Detroit?

Old 10-03-2011, 03:21 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Quote:
I know.....

WTF?
In defense of the Mayor AND her Husband the XMayor.

ALL....every single stinkin inch of the strip is OUTSIDE of the City of Las Vegas....they simply steal our name, the Mayor has absolutely nothing to do or say about anything that happens on the strip....for that yo have to buy [I mean talk to] the county commissioners.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
In defense of the Mayor AND her Husband the XMayor.

ALL....every single stinkin inch of the strip is OUTSIDE of the City of Las Vegas....they simply steal our name, the Mayor has absolutely nothing to do or say about anything that happens on the strip....for that yo have to buy [I mean talk to] the county commissioners.
Well, whoever it is..... needs to be set on fire

Highest unemployment rate in the entire nation, and no one seems to care.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:57 PM

41 posts, read 71,539 times
I did not move yet to Vegas. I wont till January. But I have a great job lined up for when I move. So there are jobs for sure.

But it should be noted that I in a high demand field nation wide.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:01 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
I know.....

WTF?
You don't appear to understand how it works. Nobody ever abandons a strip property if the funding is in place. There is no "bond". This is the wild west.

Fontainebleau is going to sit there for some years until its owner decides it is rational to finish it. Echelon may never go forward. The Summerlin Shopping Center may eventually get done as Hughes is good at that.

And another skeleton lives behind the Venetian.

All will get cleaned up in time. But no time soon.

Note that the only real thing the municipality could do is pull them down...and that is mostly not a good idea.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:12 PM

64 posts, read 171,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjRey View Post
Just got back from Vegas, I found some decent job options, made great contacts!!..You need to think outside the box, There was more employment in Vegas than the entire Bay Area, CA were I live..Of course it is WAYYY cheaper in Vegas to live, so if you have to you have to start out for a little bit less, you can.. Here in CA you cant do that.. The rent in the Bay Area is ASTRONOMICAL...
Las Vegas is the worst... The education system sucks... The jobs barely pay anything and the crime rate is absurd..

Old 10-03-2011, 07:18 PM

293 posts, read 641,716 times
Here we go again...the education system sucks at some schools, and can be overcome at others if the parents gave a crap..Las Vegas is ot the worst, that s only your opinion and you are at a huge disadvantage on tis site to prove that...The jobs pay normal rate, it was just over-inflated for so long that nothing will make people happy..There are warehouse jobs paying 15-17, which is way better than in Ohio where I made 9.53 and 11.50 as a manager of a Honda warehouse...As for crime, it is just like it is everywhere..the things you hear about here are the same things you hear about anywhere else. Right before we left Ohio to return to Henderson, there was the guy who killed the 3 people and cut them up and put them in a hollowed out tree, and this was in a small community.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan05 View Post
Here we go again...the education system sucks at some schools, and can be overcome at others if the parents gave a crap..Las Vegas is ot the worst, that s only your opinion and you are at a huge disadvantage on tis site to prove that...The jobs pay normal rate, it was just over-inflated for so long that nothing will make people happy..There are warehouse jobs paying 15-17, which is way better than in Ohio where I made 9.53 and 11.50 as a manager of a Honda warehouse...As for crime, it is just like it is everywhere..the things you hear about here are the same things you hear about anywhere else. Right before we left Ohio to return to Henderson, there was the guy who killed the 3 people and cut them up and put them in a hollowed out tree, and this was in a small community.
Show me these jobs.

I do agree with a lot of what you say, but usually I'm the one accused of exaggerating.

I have been a mechanic my entire life. I worked for a couple Ford dealers in Denver, making $25/hr flat rate. I worked for the Colorado State patrol making the equivalent of $30/hr. Mind you, I haven't worked in Colorado in ~10 years.

The BEST job I can find here for a full time mechanic is $21/hr. SO, not only is it less money, but its FAR less money due to inflation. And, a mechanic, requiring you provide your own tools (many thousands of dollars worth) is a skilled job. Your "warehouse position" isn't a skilled position, making your claim even less realistic.

Are there jobs here in Vegas. Of course, there are jobs everywhere. Are there jobs that allow people to live with any quality of life....not really. Say what you will, but as a single parent, I cannot live on an $18/hr job.

I didn't want to get all ranty on this, because I don't sit around feeling sorry for myself about not having a job, but sometimes enough is enough. A bunch of billionaires decide to pull their money out of project they already started, and no one bats and eye. Didn't they have a contract with the city to complete the work? What a disgrace for "the world famous Las Vegas". Come see our wonderful sights, and the colorful lights, and the rusting iron skeleton of a building, and the homeless, and the beggars on the streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas