Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2010, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 27,273 times

Advertisements

Does anyone use their pool year around in the Las Vegas area? If so, about how much does it cost per month to heat the pool in December and January?

When giving costs, please indicate the heating method, whether the pool is covered and the approximate area.

I'm thinking of either getting a heat pump or a natural gas heating unit. My pool is about 400 sq ft and has a cover and we're about 3100 ft elevation.

Also, I was wondering about the advisability of buying the unit online and then having someone install it.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 02:16 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
mine is about the same size.. i only heat it when i want to use it.. natural gas.. best (at this time - last year) heater out there , not covered ... about $20 a day to keep around 80ish.... of course, i was insane last month.. cost me $40 for 2 days when i had the pool at 102. (yes i have spa jets in the pool itself)

Old 11-04-2010, 02:26 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Right before I bought my house, someone was visiting and left the pool heat on for a month. No one was staying at the house for most of the time so one can assume that bill was almost all for heating the pool. Don't know what temp it was set on but the bill was right at $300. My pool is larger, about 30K gallons and has no cover.

I use solar heat during the summer and the pool is too cold to swim in already. I pretty much count on the swimming season being done by the end of October.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:58 PM

2 posts, read 27,273 times
Thanks for your quick answers.

Airics, I suspect that if the pool was kept at a constant temperature that the per day cost would be somewhat less (of course the total monthly cost would have to be more) and covering the pool would make a pretty big difference.

yellowsnow, Which month did they leave the heat on and was it gas or a heat pump? I assume the set temp was around 80.

Thanks

Old 11-04-2010, 03:03 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSSlaughter View Post
Thanks for your quick answers.

Airics, I suspect that if the pool was kept at a constant temperature that the per day cost would be somewhat less (of course the total monthly cost would have to be more) and covering the pool would make a pretty big difference.

yellowsnow, Which month did they leave the heat on and was it gas or a heat pump? I assume the set temp was around 80.

Thanks
It was a gas heater that was too small for the pool. I have since replaced it with a bigger one. The heater was left on for all of December.

I do heat the spa every now and then in the Winter. I don't notice any difference in my gas bill when I use the spa.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:12 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,297 times
Get a 400,000 BTU gas heater (pentair or starite) The best heaters out there. It will cost you about $20-$25 per day to heat the pool and keep it around 80-85. If your pool doesn't have a gas line (you will need 1 1/4 inch line) you will need someone to run it from the source. PM me if you have any more questions.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:20 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
i have the pentair.. it is excellent.. you can find them on craigslist for under a grand... running the gas line can be VERY costly depending where the equipment to the meter is.... i spent more for the labor for the gas line than the heater itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: