Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 12:25 PM

270 posts, read 838,480 times

Advertisements

I know Lane splitting is illiegal in NV but given the influence of CA I wonder if a lot of riders out there still do it? Or is this a non-issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 12:30 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
I've seen it only a few times in the four years I've lived here. I sold my bike near the end of my first year here, but when I was riding, I didn't do it. The traffic here isn't nearly as bad as in L.A. (despite the complaints about LV traffic, it's nothing), so not being able to isn't a big deal.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:49 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,083,141 times
I wish we could change the law. I refuse to become a statistic sitting behind another car waiting to be rear ended. Yes, I split lanes.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:38 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Splitting lanes in LV is as common as splitting aces and eights.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:38 PM

270 posts, read 838,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
I wish we could change the law. I refuse to become a statistic sitting behind another car waiting to be rear ended. Yes, I split lanes.
Any problems with cops or other drivers so far? People can make weird, rash decisions on the road. I'd be concerned about someone purposely trying to block my path to serve their sense of "justice".

Old 11-29-2010, 07:31 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
The cops do it all the time, but it seems dangerous to me. Or at least a good way to damage someone's car.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:32 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,342,524 times
It's very rare compared to California. Whenever I go to L.A. for business, I get passed on both I-10 and I-15 by lane splitters at least 2-3 times each way.

IMO, just a matter of time before they wind up seriously injured or dead. Some of the ones in CA pass at 70 mph not knowing what could happen if a vehicle swerves unexpectedly, along with the kids texting (saw that on I-15 one day), elderly drivers, road rage (saw that on I-10 in Ontario for a 10 mile stretch).

The majority of bikers here seem to be more cautious along with the fact that the traffic is not really an issue compared to California.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:51 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,569,037 times
I always get the urge to open my door when I see them in my mirror. I wouldn't ride a bike here let alone lane split. Once again I nearly had a guy narrowly hit me in a parking lot going over 50mph. He skidded sideways within inches of a pole and took off.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:26 AM

111 posts, read 253,337 times
I'm a noob, so can someone please tell me what lane splitting is?
I'm planning to get a scooter down there, because I don't see the need to get another car since my gf already has one.
So this might conceirn me too.
I've seen different styles of driving compared to Holland. Mostly because down here roads are more bendy and narrow.
And people on scooters, bikes and bicycles come from everywhere here, they don't like waiting so they'll take the sidewalk.
It's very common that they shoot in betwen cars or shoot onto the road from a sidestreet or the sidewalk.
It's dangerous, but in a way it makes you a better driver, because you have to be alert all the time.
Not even mentioning the pedestrians, and the fact that 9 out of 10 cars are stick shifts, which makes you more alert too in a way.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:16 AM

1,376 posts, read 3,083,141 times
Lots of misinformation and the superiority complex of being in a car ITT.

Lane splitting is a calculated risk that IMO is well worth the effort. CA occasionally does something right and the motorcycle training and driver (car) education is a perfect example. Cars expect motorcycles to share the lane with them and in the carpool lane more than 50 percent of the drivers will actually move to the left to give you room to pass.

I'm too lazy to find the reports, but CA has done studies showing that lane splitting is actually safe. Of course there are a lot of squids out there who ride reckless and pass at too high a rate of speed (it's the speed differential between the motorcycle and the car that causes the problems) which gives responsible riders a bad name.

Unforgiven6262 your comment is as stupid as me saying I get the urge to murder your family. Think before you write something so stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas