Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 09:40 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
here is my thoughts on vegas... if you can handle "NOT gambling", you will be ok... If you catch "the bug", you will have a huge problem... Remember the house always wins in Vegas! anyway... good luck... welcome back.. yada yada yada
True, but it doesn't matter where an addict lives ...he's still an addict. I know of more gambling addicts, and alcoholics, in other states than I do here. When I lived in West Virginia it was still a "dry" state, but I knew a lot more alcoholics there than I have known here. Gamblers also. You can find an illegal games in all the other 49 states within twenty minutes of arrival there. I knew guys that put themselves through college from backroom games in small West Virginia college towns. I had relatives that made good livings running games in West Virginia and Ohio. It was a crime only because the church goin' hypocrites, and the local mobsters didn't want it to be legal, but my uncles weren't the kind of people you'd consider the criminal type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 08:57 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
here is my thoughts on vegas... if you can handle "NOT gambling", you will be ok... If you catch "the bug", you will have a huge problem... Remember the house always wins in Vegas!
Yeah, but the key is to gamble against the tourists, not the house.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:42 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Yeah, but the key is to gamble against the tourists, not the house.
Now we're talking pokér. Would you agree that poker is not the gamble that all those other games are, or am I wishful thinking again?

Old 12-28-2010, 01:39 AM

787 posts, read 1,776,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Now we're talking pokér. Would you agree that poker is not the gamble that all those other games are, or am I wishful thinking again?
Absolutely. The house just rakes 10% (up to ~$4) from every pot. So, on average, you just need to be 10% better than your opponents at a normal poker table to turn a profit.

In short: yes, you can win long-term at poker, and it's because you're competing in a skill game (granted with a high luck factor as well) against other players, not against the house.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:51 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robustus View Post
Absolutely. The house just rakes 10% (up to ~$4) from every pot. So, on average, you just need to be 10% better than your opponents at a normal poker table to turn a profit.
Which isn't too difficult, especially at the lower stakes tables. Although I have to admit, I'm on track for my first losing month since I moved here in March. But I've come out ahead in my first two sessions this week and I have four days left to turn that red ink into black.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:28 AM

322 posts, read 710,329 times
Back from my househunting trip....

I left Vegas for Houston. My husband works in the oil industry, so Vegas wasn't gonna work. As he makes more than I made in Vegas, then we decided to move to Houston.

Jobs aplenty in Vegas. Medical, Tech, Oil/Gas, Universities. Housing prices are similar to Vegas.

The househunting trip was harder than we thought! My plans were McNeil or Paradise Palms.

Well, found many, but so many others are in continency. It was DIFFICULT to find a house for sale - regular style! I think the folks who could sell, aren't (due to low values) and those on the market really aren't (in continengy as short sales, repos or foreclosures.)

Sadly, I saw a lot of distressed properties.

What I see is that the locals are hurting, but the luxury end and investors with $ are buying properties.

Since we are looking for a vacation/second home, we are now looking at the residence condos and they are looking more and more like a decent place to land and still be able to re-sell later when we move permanently to Vegas to retire in 10 years time.

It was nice to drink some beers at Ellis Island, avoid the strip for New Years, walk at Red Rock Canyon on Christmas and play pinball.

I came away disappointed to not find something reasonable (in condition vs. price) but we'll keep looking. At the distressed prices, Vegas housing was on par with Houston ($100/sq ft to $250 sq ft for high rise luxury condos.)

People simply can't walk into Vegas with $100k and buy a mansion. Folks seem to think that. !?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas